SASS Wire Forum

Ruger hammers.........

Eamon Chute

Hopefully not such a dumb question:

Can the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hammers be used as replacements in the Original Model Vaqueros? Or are there different sizes of "replacement" SB hammers for both the "original" and the "New" model Vaquero?

:blink:

EC

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

I was wondering about this same thing today. Glad you asked the question.

Pack

And two follow-up questions......

1) Do you need to replace the springs at the same time? Or do you need to do that if you're looking to lighten' the pull some?

2) And who/where might actually have them in stock? Or can quickly get them?

EC

EC, like your avatar too! I like to change them from time to time and I always liked that picture.

1. You don't need to replace the springs but most do to get easier cocking and lighter trigger pull.

2. Midway USA should have everything you need. I was checking for a friend the other day and they had it all in stock.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

Thank all. I was just wondering.

BTW - nice avatar you got there Doc. Seems like I've seen that guy before!

EC

I had to polish some ruff places before dropping them in my OMV's. Go to the Ruger website -- they have good videos for assembly/disassembly of the Vaquero.

EC, like your avatar too! I like to change them from time to time and I always liked that picture.

1. You don't need to replace the springs but most do to get easier cocking and lighter trigger pull.

2. Midway USA should have everything you need. I was checking for a friend the other day and they had it all in stock.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

Well I ordered the hammers from Midway but they are backordered until February.

After reading another thread, what is the spring kit called that I should use to lighten up the pull and trigger?

Thanks again to everyone chiming-in on this.

EC

Howdy,

Just a little while back Ruger had some in stock.

Might check with them and Brownells.

Ruger is building a new factory, I hope it gets online soon

and without a bunch of lame problems.

Good luck hunting.

I just got one on my orig Vaq.

works nice. Wish I had gone with a tad lighter hammer spring.

But good for now.

Best

CR

Well I ordered the hammers from Midway but they are backordered until February.

After reading another thread, what is the spring kit called that I should use to lighten up the pull and trigger?

Thanks again to everyone chiming-in on this.

EC

Here's what you need.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

Order kit # 17116. That is the 17 lb hammer spring, 30 oz. trigger spring and the extra power base pin spring. Should make a big difference. I wouldn't go much lighter than 17 lb on the hammer spring unless you do a lot of tuning work on the pistol and only want to use Federal primers. I have this kit in all my "old model" Vaqueros and New Model Blackhawks.

Archived