SASS Wire Forum

Off topic-atf form 5320.20 turnaround time

Has anyone done a recent form 20 to take their NFA firearm out of state recently? In past years I've had them approved in about three days and once faxed it in at 4:00pm and had a faxed approval the next morning. Last one I did was in 2010.

I just called and one I mailed about 2 1/2 weeks ago "went pending" June 5. The person answering the phone said these are now taking "about 90 days." I didn't speak with the examiner, I did leave a voicemail.

Have things really slowed down that much?

If your using this form for full-auto, as I have. Are you using this form for temporary transport to another state, and will be returned to state, or a permanent transfer to another state? If permanent, it might take longer. Have you called ATF up? They've been helpfull to me several times. It has taken me no longer then 2 weeks in the past, last was less then 6 months ago. Before that, it was within the week. MT

If your using this form for full-auto, as I have. Are you using this form for temporary transport to another state, and will be returned to state, or a permanent transfer to another state? If permanent, it might take longer. Have you called ATF up? They've been helpfull to me several times. It has taken me no longer then 2 weeks in the past, last was less then 6 months ago. Before that, it was within the week. MT

Yep, temporary for subgun match in neighboring state. Actually, this is the same location and reason for my last form 20 in 2010. Hopefully, the person with whom I spoke, who was not an examiner, was confused on the 90 days.

BUMMER! I finally reached my examiner on the phone and she indicated that she was indeed running about 90 days on Form 20 approvals. That means I won't be able to shoot the match at Deer Creek in Indiana. I don't know if this is an ATF-wide problem or if I just have the worst examiner in the whole agency. They did a realignment of examiners/states a year or two ago and this is the first one I have submitted since then. :angry:

I would still like to hear what other people are experiencing as far as processing times for form 20's recently.

Wow, so you have to get ATF approval to take a firearm you already own to a neighboring state just so you can shoot it there and then bring it back home? Wow.

And do they charge you for this "privilege" too?

Color me amazed.

Angus

No fee, but there are some serious rules and restrictions on privately owned machine guns.

Archived