SASS Wire Forum

WWll decorations question.

My late FIL was in the army during WWll as a staff sergeant with a mobile AA halftrack. He received the medals, PURPLE HEART, AMERICAN CAMPAIGN, WWll VICTORY, EUROPEAN AFRICAN MIDDLE EAST, and the ARMY GOOD CONDUCT medals. But the one that confuses me is the ASIATIC PACIFIC CAMPAIGN medal. He was never in the Pacific. Could it be that his unit had been scheduled to go, but Japan surrendered before being deployed, then given the medal because the orders were never resended?

Thanks

TF

My late FIL was in the army during WWll as a staff sergeant with a mobile AA halftrack. He received the standard medals, PURPLE HEART, AMERICAN CAMPAIGN, WWll VICTORY, EUROPEAN AFRICAN MIDDLE EAST, and the ARMY GOOD CONDUCT medals. But the one that confuses me is the ASIATIC PACIFIC CAMPAIGN medal. He was never in the Pacific. Could it be that his unit had been scheduled to go, but Japan surrendered before being deployed, then given the medal because the orders were never resended?

Thanks

TF

One needs to know also were your FIL was stationed. He may have been stationed any time from Dec7 1941, or sent to Hawaii. Himself, or unit for the invasion of Japan. This qualifies receiving medal.

Also if he had been sent to the Philippines for the invasion. The decoration covers the period of Dec. 7 1941 to Sept 1945, but also extends into several months of 1946, for demolition and mine clearing.

Again, areas he served would help. This decoration was given to all services who served in the Pacific Theatre. MT

Well, The purple heart is hardly a "standard medal".

If he was assigned to the PTO anytime before March 2, 1946 he would have been awarded the campaing medal. Otherwise he was not eligible. Have you sent for his service record? That would have the info.

I DO apologize for the "standard". Yah, I noticed my error this morning. I had added a few medals before posting and didn't catch it. We are planning to order his service record as we think he was awarded the BRONZE STAR, but never received it.

Thanks TF

Hopefully they have his records. A lot were destroyed in an archive fiire in the 70s.

Yup, including the records of every "poser" I've run across.

And the ones whose stuff is so ultra top secret it cannot be released...ever. :rolleyes:

Archived