SASS Wire Forum

Mec 250

I know the press is over 40 years old and nothing available from MEC. I need a wad guide for 12GA. The charge bar is labeled 12GA 2. Does anyone know what the 2 means? Any help on how these chargers without bushings work are labeled and locating parts would be appreciated. Should I just quit while I am still ahead?

Thanks. Deacon(who is cheap and spinnin' his wheels)Henry

I know the press is over 40 years old and nothing available from MEC. I need a wad guide for 12GA. The charge bar is labeled 12GA 2. Does anyone know what the 2 means? Any help on how these chargers without bushings work are labeled and locating parts would be appreciated. Should I just quit while I am still ahead?

Thanks. Deacon(who is cheap and spinnin' his wheels)Henry

Are you suure about that? Their website sez "limited parts available." Worth a call. You can still download the instruction manual. You may able to use a newer bushing type bar.

When you say “Wad guide”, I take it you mean a chart to identify the correct wad to use per published load data. If you are talking
about the wad guide fingers to guide the wad into the shell, then call MEC and see if they can provide the correct part.

The #2 identifies the charge bar, from what I see is a 1 1/8 oz shot bar with a powder volume very close to the volume of a #38 or 38A MEC powder bushing. With this bar you are limited to one powder volume only. I could not see a load published on Hodgdon’s load data center to work with this bar. Perhaps another powder manufacturer may have a load recipe for using this bar.

I think the newer charge bars should work, check with MEC first. If a modern 302 bar would work in your MEC 250; that may be the way to go. Then you could taylor your load for what you want. The newer charge bars have a rubber insert that helps minimize shearing of the lead shot.

Here are some links you may want to check out.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/Miscellaneous/PowderBushingChart.pdf

Archived