SASS Wire Forum

Spring

Russ T. Sites

Flat. It is designed to break and save the other, more expensive parts in the gun. A wire spring will just fatigue and allow the other parts to wear out and that gets expensive.

PM me if you gave any further questions.

HW

Flat. It is designed to break and save the other, more expensive parts in the gun. A wire spring will just fatigue and allow the other parts to wear out and that gets expensive.

PM me if you gave any further questions.

HW

"Designed to break." Really? I've seen plenty of original Colts where the bolt/trigger spring has broken. However, I have also seen a lot where the spring has simply lost tension. They aren't designed to break. They do, but they weren't designed to break. Wire springs haven't been out that long, but I have guns that are over ten years old with thousands of rounds fired through them and the wire springs are still working just fine. It is hard to generalize about springs. Springs are cheap so I always keep both kinds on hand. On some guns the wire spring gives a mushy imprecise feeling to the action. On other guns of the same make and model but a few serial numbers different, the wires give a wonderful feel to the action. The only way to tell what will suit a particular shooter is to install both and see what feels the best.

Archived