SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun help.

Dorado

I have a rossi hammered coachgun that I'm having some trouble with. I believe that the problem is that it needs a really good cleaning inside and out. I don't know how to open it up to clean it. If I could get that far I can get it back together without any trouble. Anyone know how to open it up?

I have a rossi hammered coachgun that I'm having some trouble with. I believe that the problem is that it needs a really good cleaning inside and out. I don't know how to open it up to clean it. If I could get that far I can get it back together without any trouble. Anyone know how to open it up?

The Rossi hammer gun is a side lock design. once you take the barrels off the next step is to remove the lock plates. To do that remove the screw at the front of the lock plate and the one at the rear. The foward one under the firing pin and the rear one over the rear trigger in this pic

ROSSI SXS PIC

That should be all you need to do to clean it.

Ok, so then the hammers don't need to come off? Thanks for the help.

Suggest also checking the firing pin retainer nuts.

They are made of very hard material and tend to crack.

This will bind the firing pin and cause light strikes.

When you get the locks out of the stock, check the two screws holding the hammer sear cam. Some times the spacers that the screws go through are too long or like mine too short. When tightened, the hammer has too much pressure on it and causes light firing pin strikes.

I actually check the hammer play for looseness after each stage.

If I can move them sideways, I remove the locks and tighten as needed.

I should do this at home and make a proper length space but at home I don't think about it.

Well I got it apart and cleaned up. It helped but didn't fix it. I'm now thinking that it could be the firing pins. Both ends seem mushroomed and they are not even. The hammers also look like they strike at an angle to the pins. Where can I find parts for this?

Found some parts at Numrich but they're out of stock. Any other places?

Archived