SASS Wire Forum

Razor Strop

Presidio

Getting back top using a straight razor after many years of using the "nowaday" conventionals. Still have my old Kieger, but no strop.

Would like to know what brand, and where to get, a good quality strop would be. :unsure:

Thanks in advance!

The only time I ever had a razor strop used on me was by my grandfather. I ran away from him and that old man caught me, carried me to the house, and gave me two licks with his razor strop. Memorable!!

Sorry Presidio, I don't know what brand Grandpa had.

Thanks for the link, Joe! I believe those will do jest fine! Now all I got to do is make up muh mind which one I want to get :unsure::lol: .

Birdgun, you and I share similiar memories. Yep, Both Gandpa and Dad got me with their own strops in the same setting. Thinking Granpa's left a more momorable impression than Dad's. Must be one of them things that just age better than others...... :blush::rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip, Spooky. But, I'm not having any luck doing an internet search for Lion Brand ( for anything other than yarn :unsure: ). But, it did spark an interest from Mom for the yarn. Guess what happened then.......

Must be me :blush: .

I bought the strop in 1959 in Germany when I bought one of my straight razors. Only markings on the strop are 'Lion Brand', 'Germany' and 'YT CO'. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Aftetr 53 years it's possible company is out of business or eaten up by another company.

Ya' ain't got no need fer apologies, Spooky. It'd be a durn shame if'n that company of yours did go out or be gobbled up. Guessin' the onliest way to know fer sure and fer certain is fer me ta' make a trip over there one day and roam the countryside. Might make a heckuva retirement vacation one day ;) .

Getting back top using a straight razor after many years of using the "nowaday" conventionals. Still have my old Kieger, but no strop.

Would like to know what brand, and where to get, a good quality strop would be. :unsure:

Thanks in advance!

I have got an old Lion and another that I cannot read the name, but has a number #7882 on it.

But I have found something better - Levis. Levis stretched tight over my upper thigh - strop away. Surgical sharpness [if not sharper]. Just don't poke a hole in your Levis [or leg].

Really works well for Benchmade, Lone Wolf, Kershaw, Spyderco, HK's [Lone Wolf designs made by Benchmade & marketed by HK], Schrade, and V&D's lockblade and/or automatics.

Not so well for Boker, Daltons, or S&W's autos or lockers.

Tull

Archived