SASS Wire Forum

The Old Vaquero, and my wrist

Tango Mike 20653

I have been shooting single action Colts and clones for over 50 years, mostly in 45 and 44-40 calibers. When I started cowboy action shooting I got a Vaquero with a 5 1/2 inch barrel, and a Colt SAA. I discovered something that I have never read about before. Now, these are factory guns with no professional tuning, just slicking up and new springs put in by me. The old model Vaquero requires that I cock my hand down a little, which puts stress on my wrist, to hit the same point as the Colt. I only notice this when I shoot with one hand. Probably if I were shooting 2 Vaqueros, it would be unnoticeable.

Down through the years I have used other Colts and Cimarron clones, and have continued to notice the difference. And I wonder if the New Vaquero is any different. I still like my Ruger, but in an all day war, I think my wrist would tire out.

I have shot my 'original' model Vaqueros for years with full house BP loads and have no issues (yet). Also have shot them with some serious Cor-Bon loaded ammo - that's an issue :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The original model Vaqueros are large in physical size than the Colt and clones. Built on the Black Hawk frame.

The current model Vaquero is smaller in physical size and closer to the size of the Colt and clones.

---------------

You can put slimmer grips on the Original Vaquero and over come the size larger issue. There are were many grips made commercially that were slimmer to help smaller hands get a more proper hold.

Archived