SASS Wire Forum

evil roy pistols

evil dogooder

Hi everybody just a few questions.

I just traded for a pair and was wondering what you all think of them .

How do they hold up against other factor tuned clones?

Are there any issues I should be watching for?

Thanks all

I really like mine and though the .45s are showing some cosmetic wear they have not needed any work yet. Since I use mine for black powder YMMV from mine. I have added birds head grips to one of mine and hope to do the others in the future but it is an expensive undertaking!

Bought my wife a pair thinking I would save the cost of smithing. Individually they are good pistols. They are not close as to trigger pull or effort to cock. Also one cylilnder spins freely when at half cock and the other does not. It's as if one didn't get the factory action job. Waiting now for an opportunity to send them to Bob.

I am pretty sure that the smith that was being used to do the action work on the ERs changed a few years back and I do not know who is doing them now. I have three pairs of early ERs and all are excellent in my opinion, but then, I am not one who likes extremely light actions in my pistols. Some years back I purchased a used set that came from a well known competitor and the trigger pulls were way to light for me. I ended up selling to someone who could appreciate them better. If one isn't familiar with the ultra light trigger jobs it can be an unsafe combination and was such for me. I would say that if the action feels smooth to you and the trigger pulls are set even and at a good weight, then you have a pair of winners.

Most of the big name gunsmiths are now selling pre-tuned new guns as part of their income and Taylors is now directly competing with Cimmaron as an importer offering pre-tuned Ubertis. I do have a few questions as to whether mass production gunsmithing is on par with doing individual work but so far mine have been good for me. Since I now know that I prefer the 'birds head' grips, I would be looking at the Smoke Wagons if shopping for new guns that were pre-tuned. As it is I am going the very expensive route of buying new grip assemblies and putting them on my Evil Roys.

Archived