SASS Wire Forum

What was the bore dia. of a .32 H&R Topbreak

McCandless

Anybody got ahold of a gun book or website that gives the bore dia. for Harrington and Richardson Top-break model revolvers? Information on the Safety Hammerless models would be helpful.

I have two right now, caliber markings on the side of the barrel ALWAYS indicate 1905 or after manufacture. when H&R made the switch to smokeless powder in 1905 they started marking the caliber on the left side of the barrel of all their handguns. no caliber markings = black powder, caliber markings = smokeless powder. So, I got one that's proofed for smokeless and one that should only be shot with BP.

Thanks,

McC

All of those old guns were chambered in 32 short or 32 long, and are based on a bore size of .312. Most jacketed bullets are sized at .312, while lead bullets are sized at .313 and .314.

Since those older guns often varied somewhat in bore size, (usually oversize), you might want to slug the barrel to get a better idea of it's actual size. You will however, have no problem with shooting hard cast bullets of .313 and the softer swaged HBWC bullets at .314

RBK

OK, forced some soft round balls down the bores and mic'd them.... Here's the problem I got on the .32s:

My European made pistols .32 S&W Long, They are .310 and .311

Then my US made pocket pistols (32 S&W short) are .312 and .313

I only want to buy one size bullet for both applications... suggestions?

OK, forced some soft round balls down the bores and mic'd them.... Here's the problem I got on the .32s:

My European made pistols .32 S&W Long, They are .310 and .311

Then my US made pocket pistols (32 S&W short) are .312 and .313

I only want to buy one size bullet for both applications... suggestions?

You won't have any problem using .313 sized lead bullets. That's where I would go.

RBK

Use dead soft lead stuff and size em for the bigger diameter. I bought some 77 gr LRN bullets years ago that were soft enough, and with such short driving bands, they'd be fine at .313 even in a .310 bore. They'll go pop and give minute of SASS target at typical across the table distances.

Archived