SASS Wire Forum

value of a friends 98k

Trigger Mike

a friends dad gave him some guns, one of which is a 98k. It is marked 1940. has 42 on the receiver, real good finish, real clear swastikas etc. the following numbers match, 1) receiver, bolt release, 3 parts of the bolt, magazine follower, floor plate both parts, as well as the screw that hold the plate in place, the locking screw is present. Barrell bands do not match. Sling is old appearing with cross sections in it and the brass that holds the sling has a emblem of some kind. The butt plate is not the wider cuped one, just standard with eagle, not numbered. the stock is not numbered.

I'm an FFL holder and get monthly flyer's from a couple of distributors that have 98's for sale.I looked at one and they have "WW2 dates and codes" marked on the receiver ring (doesn't say if they have the Nazi markings though)German 98's at $279 dealers cost.Seems to me they had some a while back with the Nazi markings for about $100 more.Hope this helps.

I'm an FFL holder and get monthly flyer's from a couple of distributors that have 98's for sale.I looked at one and they have "WW2 dates and codes" marked on the receiver ring (doesn't say if they have the Nazi markings though)German 98's at $279 dealers cost.Seems to me they had some a while back with the Nazi markings for about $100 more.Hope this helps.

do those rifles have some matching numbers or are they mix matched ones?

do those rifles have some matching numbers or are they mix matched ones?

There is a big difference in value between a matching rifle and a Russian or Yugo capture. With the bolt matching the receiver on the one that you describe, it is probably not an RC. I would want to see the stock matching also to support this. The serial number on the stock should be under the buttplate or in the barrel channel. If all of the main parts (receiver, bolt, floorplate, stock) match, it would be considered a vet bring-back and worth considerably more than your standard RC.

BTW- "42" was the manufacturer code used by Mauser-Obendorf in 1939 and 1940. This is the factory where the Mauser brothers invented the 98.

If all of the main parts (receiver, bolt, floor plate, stock) match, it would be considered a vet bring-back and worth considerably more than your standard RC.

For a vets bring-back, all numbers do not need to match. Like our own firearms, they eventually need maintenance for varying circumstances and an armorer would put replacement parts, many times from salvaged part bins to get firearm as quickly as possible back on the line. Screws were lost many times of dropped, and rather then tear the place apart, a replacement was put in. Everything could match on a rifle but the bolt, which received most of the services and the first to see mismatched numbers, sometimes these were repaired on the battlefield with scavenged parts from fallen weapons. As to stocks, replacement, and later issued laminated were not stamped with numbers, nor eagle acceptance markings. Issued Slings did not have emblems on them. Should add, there are original stamping dies out there, and have seen them for sale on many of the military sites. Some even advertise to making your firearm matching in numbers. Years ago, there was a dealer selling sideplates for Lugers, matched to your numbers to replace those lost. Even many experts couldn't detect. MT

As to value? Description doesn't show much, one would need detailed pictures, or habdle the rifle itself to give an accuratte value. As someone said, dealers can buy these for 295.00 up, and sell to buyers or collectors as much profit he wishes to make. Many K98 were bought over priced by new collectors just cause they seen markings on them that hadn't been obliterated. For some K98 are shooters, and not collectable, unless a rare version shows up, or one with complete documentation. There was one WW2 vet that was selling in the early 70s lotsa K98s, each one described as being a souvenir he picked up in Europe during a battle. He had a different one at each gun show.

Archived