SASS Wire Forum

Faro accoutraments

Yohanaqua

Any body know where I can find the proper gear for starting up a reasonably period accurate faro game? I'm figgerin' that I will need the felt (with the cards on it) or a table top, an abacus card counter (known as a cue-keeper or cue box), and a faro box. I've searched about and canna seem to locate anybody sellin' what I need. I am not totally incompetent and could come up with gear that would work but before I commit I want to see if there are any spiffy proper set-ups available. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This "buckin' the tiger" thing is quite addictive.

Big Bear Lowe

A jug-band man livin' in a hip-hop world

I have made the counters and the boards, but the boxes are a tough proposition. They are very precise, made so only one card will slide out at a time. I started making faro gear for a pal who wanted a set but he had an original box. I am sorry to say that, at the moment I don't have the time or equipment to make more at the moment (though I still have three of the boards, without covers, hinges or trim) down at the ranch in Nevada. I am in Alaska now so I can't get to them.

Eventually I would like to finish up a set for my self.

• 1 year later...

A little late, but I just found your post:

I'm a Faro dealer in Los Angeles. www.picopistolero.com

There are several ways to get faro gear:

1) Make it. I made a layout and it's OK. Used inkjet printable, iron on cloth for the cards, on green felt, glues on to particle board and boardered with 'panel cap' trim. The corners aren't rounded, but I've seen original layouts with straight corners. I adapted an old crappy dining room table and made a small, but functional table. I made a check rack and a dealer board.

2) Buy new stuff. Shay Maxwell at Parnell Playing Cards www.parcards.com makes all the gear, including layouts, brass dealing boxes and case keepers. Phil Gessert www.pharobank.com also makes all the gear. There's a guy called Pat Neff (aka Wyatt Earp) who will also make some of the gear. http://buckthetiger.webs.com/

3) By the real deal at auction. There are many auction companies which occasionally have vintage, antique faro gear, including coppers (I just bought some indian head pennies for mine), checks, layouts, tables, case keepers, etc. Expensive, but very cool.

Good luck and keep on Bucking!

-Pico PIstolero

SASS #91,439

www.picopistolero.com

blog.picopistolero.com

Archived