SASS Wire Forum

3 Amegois

"Why ?" came the question from behind Grizz's broad shoulders. "You don't want me to see that you're human, just like the rest of us ?" With that, Grizz and Whiskey both where moved from where they stood and Rachelle marched forward. " I was a nurse with the Confederates. I tended their wounds and help to hold them down for amputations. I have seen the worst one human can to do another human, and I will see you now, Silverhawk !"

"How did you learn my name ?" I asked Rachelle. Then I turned to look at Grizz who shrugged his shoulders and Whiskey was looking upward at the ceiling, acting nervous. "Whiskey, didn't I tell ya not to tell her my name ? I'll be leaving as soon as I'm healed up and I don't want to break her heart !" " Mr Sliverhawk , in case you haven't heard yet or read the signs that I left for you, I am in love with you ! Ah, some tracker you are, indeed. I left hints and sign all over the place. Even a blind man could have seen them ! If you leave.....I will follow , that's a promise !"

I looked up from the bed with a bewildered look on my face. Grizz and Whiskey was starting to laugh. "Don't do it ! I swear , I'll shoot ya !" And I looked at my gun belt, pistols where not there. Grizz smiles and asked me, "Looking for these, Injun ? I had'em cleaned for ya.!" I looked bewildered and asked him, "How long have I been out ?" "Bout 3 days or so." responded Grizz. I replyed, swinging my feet out of the bed and onto the floor, Well den, I 'm needin a good long drink and some food." My knees buckled underneath me. Doc came runnin back into the room. "Mister, you should not be on your feet ....lay down !"

I looked that old sawbones in the eye and said, "Yur gonna have to shoot me den, but I'm gettin drunk tonight after I eat a steer, wif my friends here. " I looked at Rachelle, who was helping to hold me up, "Think you can handle a old injun what has hung up his guns, cept fer self defence ?" She beamed and replyed, "Oh I can all right ! Question is , can you handle a eastern whos going back with you out west ?" I winked at Whiskey and Grizz and said, Well we'll see who handles who ! Now help me cross dat muddy street. I smell food and whiskey !"

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The doc could see that Hawk wasn't going to get back to bed, so he insisted on going along which was fine with all involved. The Saloon was crowded so they managed to get a table in the attached diner and still order drinks as well.

Grizz had eaten earlier so he just drank and nibbled on some bread. The undertaker came by to say hello and quiped with a smile "you sure weren't kiddin about sending alot of business my way." He'd been busy seeing to all the bodies that got carted in from Whiskey's place. Grizz and the sheriff had suggested burying those without local kinfolk there, but Whiskey wouldn't hear of it,

There was talk around the table. Whiskey was saying how Jones had worked out well and had been a big help what with Homer being laid up. She had big plans to restore the place better than ever. Homer was expected to recover, but it would take some time. Of course after talking about that, Whiskey had to explain to Hawk who Jones was. Hawk and Rachelle were making plans to go back to the west, and doc and Rachelle were talking medical things.

Grizz didn't really hear much of it, he was tired. "I'm gonna go get some sleep" he announced in the middle of the conversations. He got up and left, leaving the others a bit taken aback, but soon went back to their conversations. He'd taken a room at the boarding house next to the doc's office so he could keep tabs on Hawk, and so the doc could check his own wounds daily and change the dressings. He walked quickly to the boarding house.

Back at the boarding house Grizz packed his saddle bags. He'd decided that he would leave in the morning and head back to Colorado. His shoulder was healed well enough that the danger of infection was over, as were his other wounds. He still hadn't been back out to Whiskey's place, but knew that he had to stop there on his way out of town, if for nothing else but to say goodbye to Whiskey and Homer, and to pick up his bedroll and a few odds and ends from the barn.

The decision being made, and packing done gave him new life and energy. The last time he was in the South had been filled with agony and death all around him. This time hadn't been much different and the old memories came easier here with the sights and smells and humidity of the area. He was more than ready to be shed of this place, and excited to get started.

Satisfied that his gear was in order, he grabbed a cigar and headed outside to smoke it. They evidently put out most of the street lamps on the street after a certain hour, so is was dark enough he could just make out a few stars.

He'd been out there for a while before he noticed a light coming from the doc's office and figured Hawk must still be up. He wasn't sure how he'd take the news that he was heading out, but reckoned he might as well go break the news now.

Hawk was indeed still up, the doc was changing his bandages as he'd torn open some stitches with his jaunt over for dinner and whiskey.

"Hand me that roll of bandage, over there on the table" the doc asked him, Grizz handed over the bandage, and then the scissors when the doc was ready for them. Hawk was in a bit of pain as the whiskey must have been losing it's hold.

"What's on yer mind Grizz, I know that look of yorn" Hawk asked him as he shifted in the bed trying to get comfortable.

"Headin out tomorrow" Grizz told him, more words weren't needed.

"Figured as much." Hawk said matter of factly "kinda surprised you stayed this long"

"Stayed in case I had to haul yer carcass back to the west to the burial grounds" Grizz said with a smile on his face.

Hawk smiled, he knew Grizz would have done it too, not because he himself put any stock in the indian ways, but because Hawk did, and he'd honor his wishes.

"You takin the chestnut?" Hawk asked. This was the question Grizz had been dreading. He knew Hawk had taken a fondness to him, and with Hawkeye being gone, it made some sense that Grizz should give him the chestnut, but dang it he didn't want to.

"Tell ya what Hawk, you and yer woman ride the iron horse to Denver and I'll have a couple ponies waiting for ya when ya git there, call it my wedding present to ya." Grizz told him.

"Those two paints I seen at yer place last spring?" Hawk asked hopefully.

Grizz had half a dozen horses back home, including three paints. The two Hawk was talking about were nearly identical. They'd been born the same year, and sired by the same stallion. Grizz had been bringing them along and had kind of planned on one of them replacing his old gray soon. But, seeing as how the chestnut was likely to take that role...

"Dang Hawk, you want my cabin too?" Grizz joked.

Hawk coughed, he clearly needed some rest. "That hole in the ground, no way. Stop in on yer way out tomorrow, ok?"

"Will do" Grizz said, and then turned and walked out.

As Grizz walked out, Hawk looked at the Doc with a determined look on his face. And Doc knew what that look meant. It menat Hawk was far worse than both he and Doc let on. Hawk, cause he didn't want to burden his friend , Doc to honor Hawk's wishes. Doc knew if Hawk kept on at this pace, it was just a matter of time before he died. Hawk sensed that.

"What's troblin' ya Doc ? Don't ya think I know what I'm doin' ?" Hawk asked as Doc resticked him up. "Mister Hawk, I do think , if you keep on at this pace you will die soon. If you slow down, follow my instructions, you will live alot longer !"

"I'm tried, Doc. And I want to go home.......home to my Ancestors. I'm tried of all dis fightin' , bound huntin' just to git by. I have night terrors nightly. Dat's why I don't sleep much." I replyed as Doc wrapped new bandages on me. "But what about that beautiful lady who has stood by you're side all this time ? You just going to up and leave her a widow ?"

"We will marry soon. Wif dat, she is now and ferever more one of our tribe, no matter ifin' I'm alive or not. She will be well took care of, much more better den I could." I winched alittle and said , "Doc, could you pull dat bandage a little tighter !! I knew you don't like what I'm tellin' ya , but dat's just da way it is. Now, ifin' yur done wif me, I goin' cross da street, grab a drink, down to livery to rent a horse and ride out to Whiskey's place. I need to git my possibles off ole Buckeye."

"Then take my buckboard then !" Doc said. And I replyed , "Nope...be out der a day or two. You just might need it fer somethin' or nother. Sides, Whiskey wood know I was der. I wood just git my possibles wifout her knowin'. She has a way of chewin' yur butt fer doin' somethin' she thinks is stuipd, and fer shore ifin' you just happen to be a friend."

"Doc, whars my rifles and pistols ? Did Grizz bring'em in wif me ?" I asked. "Mister Hawk....I.....I shore do wish you're would reconsider this course of action ." "Whar are my guns , Doc ! I aint in da habit of askin' things twice !" Doc just sighed and said , "In the back room. I'll get them for you." He came out with my 66, with brass tacks on the stock and eagle feather tied to the barrel. And one Walker cap & ball, still loaded with five rounds.

"Just where are you going ?" Rachelle had seen me leave the Doc's office and struggle onto the horse I had rented. "Going out to Whiskey's place to git my possibles and there I'll be comin' back here. I want you to book us safe passage on da next train to Denver. Grizz has some horses der dat he will sell me. Also I want you to send word, we'll be needin a preacher too." Rachelle's eyes lite up !! "You mean.....I...er .....I gonna be....." Yup , as soon as we git to Dever. But I need to git out to Whiskey's place and git my possibles." "What's so important about you're possibles Hawk !" she snorted at me. And I snorted right back , "My medince bag is missin' and I aim to have it back ! Noiw,...Git Going ! You got things to do !"

I swung myself up on the horse's bareback with a great deal of pain that I could not hide. I had tron some more stictes. She put her hand on my boot and said, "You be careful now. I want to be you're wife !" I smiled and said, "You will be !" and spured the horse and off I went.

I arrived at Whiskey's place just after sundown. My horse mad noise as I rode up. Quickly, Whiskey grabbed up her carbine and took dead aim at me."Who's there ? Show you'reself !" I urged my horse forward into the ghost light of the full moon. She spoke something in French dat had to be cuss words and in english said, "Hawk , what the hell are you doing here ? You should not be up and moving around ! I've I had a chance, I'd shoot you myounself !" I chuckled just a little, seeing as she still had that carbine leved at my head and her finger on the trigger. "Ain't none to careful Whiskey Girl, ya just might. Don't think I could stood dat , no ! Can I step down ?"

She gently helped me down and started chewing butt as she handed me a plate of food. I didn't hear her rants untill she said , "Do you hear me Hawk ?" I shook my head no. Again she spoke in french, with her hands high in the air. "Whiskey , I came fer my possibles and to bury ole Hawkeye. He was da best horse I ever owned." Whiskey sighed and poured me a tall drink and as she sat down beside me, patting my hand and she said , "Me and my hired hand done got all the stock buryed three days ago."

"Good " I said as I shallowed the first long pull of that tall glass of bourbon. "Don't want no buzzards eattin'em . Did ya bu chance git my possibles off him ?" Whiskey sipped her drink and pointed to the cornor. The was my saddle , but no blanket , bridle , saddle bags , scarboard and my other rifle and two Dragoons. My canteen had a big hole in it.

I eased over and looked through them. I picked up my reb issue canteen, stuck 2 fingers through the hole. "Hummm, must have been a bad shot." Whiskey smiled and shook her head. "Nope , Yankee sharpshooter he was.....put that big ole hole in you're side. But Rachelle and me did for him !" And I saw her smile grow. First time I had seen Whiskey smile so big. I liked it.

She threw back the rest of her drink and tossed another log in the fire place. "Gonna get little cold out here tonight. You should knew that better than anyone. Have another drink to warred off the night air and get some sleep. I'll help yoou with you're gear in the morning. By the way , Where's Grizz ? she asked me. "Him , the gray , and da chestnut are on der way to Denver. Dat's where we'll be heading too." Whiskey raised her eyebrows , "We ?" "Yup , me and Rachelle. You'd you think I meant ? " She laughed alittle and as she entered into her bedroom said, "Goodnite Hawk !"

I found my bedroll in amungst my gear, unrolled it and layed down. With whiskey in hand, I saluted the Big Dipper. It was there before my first battle and it was still there at the end of my last. I took the last long pull off the glass and went to sleep.

The hands and I took turns on patrol, seein as the trials of recent days made me wary, weary. Burying all those dead did wear on the soul. Lot of those outlaws were hard cases for sure. Some would have just lived on the outskirts of society if a devil like Hayes hadn't come along to muster them back into action.

There were still huge trees and craters from the dynamite bombs. Broken windows, bullet holes and such too. It's goin to take a while to clean all that up. And we survived all that. Granted, lot worse for the wear, Hawk and Homer almost died, Grizz shot up too.

Bein so distracted, didn't hear Hawk soon as I should've. Glad to see he was still breathin, wouldn't for long if he kept disobeyin the sawbones orders. Let him know that too. Helped him into the house and we had dinner and talked awhile. "Hawk, I've got that Gatling gun. It was blown sky high however the main part of the gun is mostly intact. I'm keepin it as a souvenir, don't know where to display it though."

"Heck fire Whiskey girl, mount it above the mantel! See an empty spot where that purty mirror was couple days ago."

Also talked about his impending nuptials, never thought Hawk was the marrin kind. That gal made an impression on him I could see. Rachelle and I had some time to talk and though she was on the battlefields before, never been in such a situation as this. Thickened up her hide a bit and considerin who she was about to marry...

It was gettin cold and late and time to hit the hay. That night I slept like a baby.

Grizz had been so excited about the prospect of returning to Colorado he forgot about sleep. He'd gone back to the rooming house, collected his gear, left a note of thanks and money twice what he owed on the pillow and headed out.

No one was about when he got to Whiskeys place to collect his things from the barn. He'd never been one for long farewells so he just wrote a note and left it where Whiskey would find it eventually.

"Whiskey Gal, I hope that you will fare well, you and Homer are folks to ride the river with, tell him that for me, you both are welcome at my camp anytime. Watch yer top knot, Grizz"

His trip back to Denver went nearly as quickly as the trip out. He kept to the main roads for faster travel during the day, and paralelled them at night, stopping for an hour or two of sleep each night. The chestnut was a beast, he seemed to take pride in carrying the considerable load of Grizz and seemed put out when Grizz would switch off to the gray to rest him.

It was about noon when Grizz rode into Denver. Per his routine, the judge was having lunch in the private back room at the restaurant. Grizz went in the back door and strode into the room, trail dust cascading off him as he walked.

"Was wondering when you'd turn up" the Judge said looking him over, pausing at the blood stains on the shoulder of his vest and side of his leg.

Grizz grunted and sat down, taking a piece of bread from the basket on the table and buttering it.

The Judge called the waiter and ordered a steak for Grizz before continuing. "I hear you had quite a time down south." While the news of the battle had been reported, it wasn't big enough to garner much attention in Denver, the Judge on the other hand had been in contact with friends in the area and had kept up on the goings on. "The older Hayes must have been meaner, seems like he put up a better fight."

Grizz shook his head 'no.' "The young one was crazy mean, but reckless, the older one was ruthless, that be sure, but better with tactics."

The Judge nodded agreement as he ran through the facts in his head, indeed a fair assessment from what he knew.

The waiter arrived with the steak. "Beer" Grizz told him as he tore into it. The waiter was back quickly with a big mug of beer.

The judge picked as his own meal as Grizz tore into his. Studying him, waiting for the right moment to bring up his next subject. With the Judge, there was always another subject.

Grizz finished the last bite of steak and set to mopping up the juice with a piece of bread. "Whats on yer mind Judge?"

The judge sat up straight and laid his napkin on his plate before speaking. "You've made quite a name for yourself...again. You and I could go far."

Grizz held up a hand to stop him before he could continue. "Yer on yer own, I ain't interested." His statement bore a distinct tone of finality. Grizz stood up, took the letter of authority from his pocket, now rather bloodstained, and set it gently on top of the judges napkin. "I'll be back in two days to draw my pay, other than that I'm done."

The Judge had expected this to some extent but believed that he could convince Grizz to join him in his own political aspirations. "We'll take more then." the Judge said, standing and extending his hand.

Grizz took his hand and shook it firmly. "Talk all ya want, I don't have to listen." As Grizz walked towards the back door he called out over his shoulder "Thanks for the steak."

It was nightfall before Grizz got to his cabin. Everything was in its place and the horses and beefs were in the pasture. His neighbor had been keeping an eye on the place and apparently had been doing a good job. Grizz made a mental note to figure out a way to properly show his appreciation. He took time to brush out the gray and the chestnut before turning them out to the pasture, but left his saddle and gear just sitting on the fence rail. He could tend to that truck later.

The familiar sound of his boots on the boards of his porch were music to his ears, as were the sounds on the mountains around him. He sat on the porch and looked out at the little valley in front of his cabin by the moonlight. The fenced pasture that he'd cleared, the pond fed by the stream running down the far side, the towering pines around the edges.

Grizz was home... And quickly fell asleep in the chair on the porch.

The train ride out west was uneventfull. Just the same ole, "That Injun this and that !" and the steady thump , thump , thump , of the cars as they rolled along the track. The closer I got to the west, the better I felt. And my soon to be bride saw it too.

I was ready to be back in Denver, get thoese two horses that Grizz and promised me and be heading to the southwest. I really liked and trusted Grizz. The only white man and Yankee I trusted. I thought back after the war was over, I was heading home, some Yankees on horse back caught up with me and would have hanged me if Grizz didn't happen by. And the lokk on them Yanks faces as one lie dead and the other three untied me.

And the look of utter shock and pride when me and my men drove a herd of long horns and horses I'd stolen from a renegade in Mexico. How Grizz's jaw dropped when I handed him the fake bill of sale. I thought if that renegade could steal them from ranchers in the U.S. terrories, I'd just steal them back , and drive north. What a sight to see !! All thoese cows and horses stolen by a once well respected deputy Marshal ! Ladwy !!

The train ride took three days....three long days to rest my wounds, which still was bleeding but not nearly as bad as before. I took to changing the bandages myself, as I didn't want to worry Rachelle. But worry she did, and didn't let me out of her sight.

The train rolled to a stop in Dever and Rachelle and I got off next to last. It was a struggle for me as I was still weak. There was this one cowboy who kicked our bags out of the way and in a flash, Rachelle had pulled a double barrel danrrenger in 45 and pointed it at that cowboy. "Show a little respect, if you don't mind !" The cowboy was about to kick again when she cocked and level aimed right for his forehead. I stepped off the train and I guess the cowboy figured she had done the same for me, so he left it and walked on by.

I walked into the hotel after following the boy with our bags. I was expecting a fuss over me being a half breed but instead I was met with , "Centanly Sir. Mister Grizz has set you up with a room. You may stay as long as you like. It's already payed. BOY , take their bags to their room !." We followed down the hall, no stairs to climb, thank gawd , and into our room. It was nothing fancy , expect for a balcony. "Here Boy, take dis and don't sent it all in one day !" I gave him a double eagle.

The room was plain...chest of drawers , dressing table with mirror , chamber pot , and lots of windows and one big bed . And it smelled clean with no blood stains on the floor. I layed down on the bed and motoined for Rachelle to join me. "Now....What would folks think ?" Rachelle said almost laughing. "Since when did you start thinking what folks think ?! I don't..never have and you know dat !" We had a good long laugh.

I went down stairs in the evening after supper and Rachelle said she would met me upstairs later. Went across the street , with much difficulty and went into the Saloon. No sooner than thoese batwing doors closed the barkeep yelled , "Git out ya fiflty Injun ! GIT !" At which he was reinder senseless by a pistol butt to the head. Everyone in the saloon had heard about the battle , some more than others , but all had heard. I heard it called "The Battle of Sewell Creek."

I ordered my whiskey and instead, paid for a bottle and took a long hard pull on it. I wanted to be alone now , collect my thoughts and get ready to meet Grizz in the morning. I took the bottle over to a unused table near the back cornor, facing the batwing doors , light up a ceegar and relaxed.

Grizz hadn't even been home a full day when the boy from the hotel in Denver came riding out to let him know Hawk and Rachelle had arrived. Hawk must have left before the Doc wanted him too, then again that wasn't a surprise knowing Hawk. He'd hoped to have more time to catch his breath, but such was life. And if Hawk was in that much of a hurry to get back to the west, he might be in a hurry to pick up the horses and head out as well. Grizz gave the boy a few bucks and sent him back to Denver.

The two paints hadn't been worked since Grizz had left, and that was a month or better by now. He'd hoped to have a few days to make sure they were ready, but again, such was life, there was seldom time to follow through on a sensible plan where Apache Hawk was concerned.

Well, at the least he'd be able to ride the kinks out of one of them on the way to Denver. He caught all three paints and saddled up one of the matched pair. The third was an older and not as flashy horse that Grizz often used to pack with, but given his gray and the new chestnut were a bit wore down from the trip, the paint would do.

It was nearly dark as he headed out of his valley, taking a last look over his shoulder at the sun setting over the mountain that towered over the cabin. Damn, he'd just gotten home and was leaving again. At least it was only for a day or two this time. That thought comforted him, but in the back of his mind came the realization that last time he'd left it was just supposed to be for a couple of days, more than a month later he'd finally made it back home.

It was nearly midnight when he got to Denver and got the horses to the livery. He didn't know about Rachelle, but felt sure Hawk was at the Saloon. The place was still busy, it must have been a Saturday night Grizz figured, then realized he had not clue what day of the week it was, and then decided he didn't care. As he strode thru the batwing doors, his boots made a respectable clomp and the spurs and jinglebobs rounded out the song. Many only gave him a passing glance and went back to their drinks or card games, a few fell silent and stared at him, then to the back corner of the Saloon where a lone figure sat with his back to the wall at a table in the shadows.

The bartender held up a bottle of whiskey and pushed out a glass "Whiskey?"

Grizz grabbed the bottle out of his hands and the glass off the bar as he walked past heading for that back table. Behind him the bartender started to raise a hand in protest, but wisely chose not to.

"Doc told me when I left you wouldn't bit fit to travel for at least another week." Grizz said, sitting down uninvited and pouring himself a drink.

"Dat sawbones know medicine for da white man real good, but he don know nuttin bout injun medicine." The pain in Hawks eyes was evident, as was a fair amount of whiskey he'd poured into himself to dull it. "Ya brang in da ponies?"

"Hell Hawk, I just got back here yesterday."

Hawk did his best through the pain and the whiskey to give Grizz his best mean and determined stare. He puased for a moment more and said again "did ya brang da ponies?"

"Down to the livery." Grizz told him.

"Just got off da train a few hours ago. Rachelle is up in our room. Thanks fer dat Grizz." I stuck out my hand and Grizz shook it but I saw his eyes go down to my bandages, which where bright red. "By God, Hawk , you should atleast listen to the man. White man medicine......You're half white too ! " Grizz almost yelled it at me. And the saloon grew quite. Every one looked at me and Grizz. "What are you looking at ? Get on with you're bussiness !" he shouted .

"Grizz, dey done heard bout da fight in Jawja. Most folks know who was der, and most folks now call it da "Battle of Sewell Creek". And dey is talkin' bout a senate run fer ya. Me , I am half red, and I will be healed when I git home. Da Old Ones have told me so. Now don't frett none, I'll be ok. We'll rest up here a couple days, den head south." I threw my whiskey back and poured another. "Grizz , thank ya fer stickin' yur neck out fer me. Nobody I know wood have done dat. Very much obliged !"

"Hawk , you're the only half breed I have trusted my life to. The only reb I knew till I met Whiskey and I trust ya both. And you , you damn fool , are the only one what could find tracks , man or beast , where they aint none ! And you saved my life a few times......."

"Just as you've did fer me. You cood have let dem Yankees hang me, but you had to stop'em , didn't ya ?" We both had a good belly laugh and the tention in the barroom dropped. "How bout dat herd of cows and horses I brought up fer ya from Mexico ? Still got'em? " I asked him as I threw another whiskey back. I tryed to pour another drink but my hand was shaking so Grizz poured one for me.

Those cows have doubled in a short year. Calfed out this spring. And as far as those horses go, got you two of the fillies from the ones you brought me. And that mine played out a while back. Again, thanks alot Hawk . But you got to take care of you're self." I opened my buckskin coat, and blood was now running down my buckskin shrit. "Sawbones said it's gonna hurt da rest of my days. A man's life , be he red or white , is not measured by what he does, but by who sticks beside him no matter what. Grizz , we have fought agasint each other and wif each other. Now, I'm not sayin' it's time , but when my time comes , I wood like you der, my friend."

"Just try to kepp me away, Hawk ". We laughed and drank the night away , till the eastern sky was changing color. Grizz stood up and said , "Well Hawk....be seeing you and the Mrs before you head out ?" Hawk looked truely surpised and just nodded yes. "I know more than I let on Hawk , althought you've knewn that, just not how much I know." The blood on my buckskins , and stopped coming out of my wound. "I know it Grizz , I know it !" and went upstairs to sleep.

Grizz sat back down and did some thinkin, some drinkin thinkin. If Hawk had heard the senate talk it must be all over the papers by now. He needed to find a way out, without killing anyone or getting himself thrown in jail. It wasn't that he didn't hold strong opinions on politics and how the country should be run, he did, the fact was he hated to talk about things of that sort, and hated worse the endless drivel and debate of politics. If he had to endure the daily rigors of political life he thought he'd probably wind up killing someone.

Hawk had made a name for himself as well. The fact he was a half breed had kept people from making political suggestions for him, there were those who wanted him as an adviser on Indian affairs. Grizz laughed out loud at the thought of that, Hawk would kill someone even faster than Grizz would if forced to endure that life. Looking over to where his friend had been sitting, he noted the blood on the table, chair and floor. Well, at least dead he wouldn't have to put up with all this nonsense. Grizz put his fingers in the puddle of blood, getting some on his thumb and forefinger, then rubbed them together. He then smelled it, and tasted it.

"Well that sneaky son of a buck, I'm gonna kill him" Grizz said, much louder than he'd intended. The Saloon got quiet, and Grizz noticed some men by the door who looked strangely like the newspapermen the Judge had been with a few weeks earlier.

"Damn" Grizz swore under his breath. He had no more time to figure out to play this, he had to act. Grabbing the bottle he took a drink, spilling much of it down his beard and shirt. Getting up he staggered towards the doors acting much drunker than he was. About half way to the door he saw what he was looking for, a big rough looking teamster who looked like he'd just driven a wagon in from far off. The man was intent on his bottle and not paying attention to anything else. Grizz staggered into his table knocking the bottle over.

Predictably the man shot out of his chair swinging, Grizz obliged and traded him blow for blow. As they moved through the tables Grizz managed to enrage other patrons who wound up fighitng with each other. After a chair got thrown into the mirror over the bar, Grizz jerked his head to the back door and he and the teamster ducked out the back way.

Outside in the cool air Grizz dropped the belligerent drunk act, and the teamster calmed right down. "What the hell was that all about Grizz?"

"Sorry Carl, damn papers have me running for Senate, that ain't no life for me, dang reporters were about to bushwhack me in there."

"And you think a drunken bar fight will cool them off a bit?" Carl asked grinning. The thought of Grizz decked out in a suit making a speech amused him terribly.

"It'll do til I figure something else out." Grizz shook his head. "Didn't know what else to do, those vultures won't leave a feller alone."

The fight inside was still going strong, and any on the street had gathered around to watch from around the front. It was easy for Grizz and Carl to slip out of the alley and down to the livery.

"I owe ya one Carl" Grizz said extending his hand. The two big men shook almost as if trying to out grip the other. Releasing Grizz's hand Carl put his up on his own chin and worked it back and forth. "Maybe two." and he walked down the street.

Grizz slipped into the livery got his rifle and bedroll and climbed up into the hayloft and went to sleep.

As daylight was breaking over the hills , I went down to breakfast with Rachelle and after eatting my fill, I went to livery to saddle our horses. As I opened the open, I had this odd feeling , the feeling as if I was beening watched. I let my right hand drift down to my dragoon and slowly walked in. Then the hairs on the back of my neck stood up , and I quickly drew the Dragoon.

The sunlight was at my face but the stable walls sheilded it from me. As I looked around, I saw dust falling from the hayloft and took aim there. Then there was the rack of a famailiar sound of a 73 being racked, yet something told me to hold my fire.

"One more step you're dead ! Throw those irons to the ground !" the voice demanded. "Grizz , what the hell are ya sleepin' up der ?" "Hawk, that be you ? Lawdy , almost shot ya ! Come to think of it, I should have pulled the tigger for the stunt you pulled in the saloon last night !" I hoilstered my Dragoon and laughted. "Thought you'd figure it ou fer long !! I'm here to git dem ponies you brought fer us and after saddle'em up , head south , to home. "

Grizz stood up, letting the hammer ease back on his 73 and layed it across his massive shoulders. "There over in the cornor, curryed , combed and well feed. Aint had much time to work them out except for the ride here , Hawk." I replyed "Dat'll be fine Pard. My trucks just below ya. I'll git started."

Grizz climbed down , gear in hand , grunting as he went. "You know Hawk , I would be within my rights to shoot you right now for that stunt you pulled last night with that blood. " and he was smiling when he said it. "Got you out of da saloon fer dem newspaper folks got to ya. Been alot of bloodshed ifin I didn't do dat. You wood have shot somebody, and somebody else wood have pulled a gun tryin' to shoot you. Dat wood force me to shoot dat somebody. Dat's a whole lot of shootin', bleedin and diein' ! And we don't want dat , Grizz , now do we ?"

Grizz had a smile on his face a mile wide. "Hawk, you ole shunk , you have a way to defuse the situation !! I'll help you saddle those poines." We saddled the horses in silance and we lead them back to the hotel where Rachelle was waiting. "Ma'am" Grizz said to her, tipping his hat. "Good morning, Mister , Marshell and Captain Grizzley Dave . How are you this fine morning ?" Grizz had this go to hell look in his eye and looked at me. "I never spoke a word of dat to her ! I swar !" And Rachelle said with that twintle in her eye , "Mister Grizz, you might be a secert to almost all you meet. I , on the other hand , make it my bussiness to know all I can aboout the person I'm about to die with. "

"Ma'am , you make a good dupety marshell. Want the job ?" Grizz asked. "No sir, I'll take my chances with this one here." Rachelle said as she took me by the arm. "I have my hands full with this brave !" "Well Ma'am , Hawk's in good hands I'm sure !" Grizz said as he tipped his hat again . "Hawk , y'all watch you're top knot ! " "Yup , shore will, watch yurn." I said as I helped Rachelle into the saddle. As I swung up into my saddle and spured my horse to move, Rachelle called out, "We'll be seeing you, Senator Grizzley Dave !"

Grizz just looked at me, growled and smiled.

What happened next Grizz couldn't really explain, perhaps he wanted to make sure Hawk and Rachelle got out of town before someone tried something, or maybe he wanted to make a show of just how bad a senator he would make, or maybe he just wanted to kick up some dust.

Grizz swung up into the saddle of his paint and turned him after Hawk and Rachelle and kicked him to a gallop, hearing that, Hawk and Rachelle did likewise. People on the street hurried out of the way and stopped and stared.

Grizz pulled his rifle and started shooting in the air over Hawks head hollering "I'll kill you yet to stinking half breed" and anything else that came to mind. His rifle empty he slammed it into the scabbard and pulled his pistols and emptied them as well.

Outside of town and the prying eyes on onlookers, Hawk and Rachelle reined up and turn back towards Grizz. Grizz stopped as well, letting the dust settle somewhat.

Grizz made the hand signal for 'go in peace' and Hawk did likewise, turned and galloped off.

Grizz rode back into town at a walk and reloaded his guns as he went. Part way down the street the sheriff came running up to him "what the hell was that all about Marshall?"

Grizz stepped down from the horse and pulled the badge from his chest and tucked it into an inside pocket. "Retired Marshall"

"Whatever" the sheriff stammered looking rather flustered after having his morning tea disturbed "should we get up a posse?"

"No" Grizz told him putting a hand on his shoulder, "no need for that."

The sheriff shrugged his shoulders and walked off shaking his head. Just then the Judge came walking out of the diner with a folded newspaper in his hands. He walked over to Grizz and opened it up so Grizz could see the headline "Drunken Marhsall tears up Saloon."

"Keep this up and you'll never be Senator, but I think if we play this right..." and then tailed off seeing the grin on Grizz's face. "You don't want to be Senator, do you?" the judge asked. "Nope, never did" Grizz said. "Marshall then, maybe over the whole territory then..." the judge said. Again, Grizz shook his head no, "nope, I'm retired. Just want to draw my pay and go home."

All the way to the bank the judge tried to change his mind, but Grizz held firm, he wanted no part in politics or modern law enforcement. With his pay tucked in his vest, Grizz climbed into the saddle, took out his knife and tobacco and cut a hunk off the plug and put it in his mouth off the blade.

"You'll be sorry, you'll change your mind" the judge tried one more time. Grizz leaned down and shook the judged hand, then spat on to the dirt street. Straightening up in the saddle Grizz took a last look at the judge dressed in his fine suit, neatly trimmed hair and shiny shoes. "Nope" Grizz said and turned his horse and rode away.

Hawk and Rachelle rode at a slow walk, letting the ponies take their time. And they talked alot. It seemed to Hawk that he could tell her any and everything and she won't judge him bad. They camped and made a hot camp , sleeping under the stars. The ground was hard and firm, which Hawk liked. But he wasn't sure about Rachelle. A lady that refined should not have to endure this things. But yet, she was tough , which she proved to me over and over again.

I tryed to teach Rachelle how to track , and she picked up on it real fast. I was amazed at how well see caught on. Day after day and night after night we rode side by side, enjoying each others company. Learning about each other.

One day, a Apache warrior came riding up at full gallup , shouting and it seemed to Rachelle very happy to see Hawk. The warrior and Hawk talked a little while in Apache. Rachelle made up her mind to learn this language as quickly as she could. After all, it wouls become usefull in her role as his wife.

As they rode on, cattle came into view and Rachelle asked, "Hawk , where does you're ranch begain ?" A large red tailed hawk circled over head, calling for it's mate and anouncing I was home, at long last. Rachelle looked up just in time to see a silver outline of the hawk and said, "So that's gonna be my last name ?" "Ifin' ya want it ." I replyed. She smiled, and asked, "When do we arrive at you're ranch ?" and I responded, "You've been on it fer da last hour. Dat warrior dat meet us, he told me a welcome home party was in da works and we have a invite to da Cheif's lodge. He wants to talk to yur soul." Rachelle reined up and asked , "What does that mean ?" And I reined up beside her, put my arm around her and said, "Nothing you can't handle !"

Over head I heard the red tail hawk saying "Welcome home Brother !"

Whew! I finally got to finish the story tonight (been heck of a week at work - don't think I've signed on since last weekend). That was a fun read. Good plot, characters and dialog. Looking forward to yall's next epic adventure!

Bucky

Thanks fer the kind words Bucky, I shore enjoyed my part of the writing. Kinda miss not having it to write on, but sure frees up a bit of time... :D

I'm sure we'll start up another one before long, just have to figure a way to make it different, don't want to wind up with more or less the same thing over and over...

Grizz

Thank ya kindly , Bucky !

Don't know how many readers we had following the story.

Like Grizz said , don't want the same ole , same ole.

Maybe next story I'll be a injun pol-ice.........

Or maybe a injun preacher wif a six gun !! :lol: :lol:

Hey, can someone help me with yard work?

Yup , As soon as I finish dis bottle of Bulliet , I spy a leaf dat don't need be der !!

:wacko:

I don't do yard work. Didn't go throough all the trouble of having kids for northing! ;)

Bucky

Bucky , I got 4 kids...........but all dem live two states up from you !

Dey got kids of thier own . Dat's called Grandkids or "REVENGE " , as I told my son

But dem grandkids aint grow t'all...............

So............................................

I tank yur out of luck !! ;)

I have em busy doin the housework!

Now excuus me ifin' I wrong here............................

BUT.....................................................................................

Aint dat buttass backards ?! :blink:

Archived