SASS Wire Forum

Shootout at 5 Dogs Creek

Wily Yankee

Hi all, just got back in yesterday from the match and wanted to share a few things with you. I can describe the event with just four words:

IT WAS FREAKIN' AWSOME!!

Sorry there's no other way to say it.

The two top "Dogs" Mad Dog Draper and Mescalero had things well in hand and with the rest of the gang backing them up it was a team which could not be beat. Job well done pards, no wonder you got the Wooley award for match of the year.

It was a bit of a trip for us but let me tell you it was well worth every mile traveled, from the moment we arrived we were welcomed with smiling cowboys and cowgirl everywhere. We did miss the side match day but I understand there were plenty of events which were lots of fun. As for the range a top notch facility with plenty of shade and more than enough space to accomodate the number of shooters there. The props were extrondinary with all the little touches that match a range just perfect. There were plenty of vendors to visit with everything form guncarts to clothing to custom leather and hats. Thursday night there was a balck and white movie put together by Calgary Kate and Mescalero which had everyone cheering and laughing so loud we could hear them in the camping area.

On Friday came the main match and with just a bit of a chill in the air we embarked on six of some of the best stages this cowboy has seen. BTW the way the last six were pretty dang good too. The match had something that I really liked, a pistol challange stage along with a rifle stage and a shotgun stage, all three stages highlighted the use of a specific firearm. On the pistol stage you had to shoot the gun out of the bag guys hand to get the bonus. Lots of fun, but I missed the bonus I guess the bad guy moved ;)

Well the fun just continued after the shooting was done when the Holwing Wolf Saloon opened, for those who haven't experienced this, let me tell you it was great. Walking thru the swinging saloon doors into the tent was a trip back in time. The were card games going on everywhere and the smell of the house's brandy in the air. Thank goodness there wasn't a height minimun to get in otherwise I might have been on the outside looking in. After getting a cocktail or two I sat down aginst the wall and just took in the whole picture. Cowboys and cowgirls strolling thru the door you could really get the feeling like you were back in an old west mining town. What a magnificent addition to an already great event.

Well we covered the stages and the night time activities let talk about the food, one of my favorite things :) During the day was the Shriners with breakfast and lunch available, from breakfast sandwiches to biscuits and gravy to the lunch menu that featured a really good tri-tip sandwich. Dinner which was included in the match fee was ready at 6PM on the dot both Friday and Saturday nights. With selections like shredded pork, beef and turkey on Friday to roast beef and pork on Saturday no matter what you like it was there. Both nights there was multiple tables full of side dishes, salads and desert.

Come Sunday there was an invitational team shoot and the twisted :o minds of Calgary Kate and Mescalero created one of the most fun team event you could shoot. The awards ceremony went real smooth and not rushed or dragged out. I believe they gave out just over 200 awards in about 1 1/4 hours.

I would like to congratulate all the winners especially my wonderful better half, Lola Jane for her very first 1st Place finish at a state level match.

Way to go honey I'm real proud of you!!!

Once thank you to all the hard working pards that put this event on, great job. What a great tim we had we got to see some friends and met a whole bunch of new ones.

Pards this is one of those don't miss matches, if you can make it there, do so you won't regret it.

Wily

Wily, I thought they had a minimum height requirement for Dualists.

Congrats to Lola and youself... :lol::lol::lol:

You nailed it, Wily! These folks at 5 Dogs KNOW how to put on a match. Fun Stages, Great Food & Entertainment, Fast Awards Ceremony. Toss in the Howling Wolf, good vendors and campin' with our Pards and you have a not to miss match for sure. If you weren't there, you missed a GREAT time.

Our thanks to Calgary Kate, Mescalero and ALL involved for putting on another winner. We'll be back next year......again!

Let me tell you , the Shootout at 5 dogs creek annual shootout / CA state Championship has been, was and will be? a huckleberry event.

I was on the posse with Lola Jane and Wily Yankee, and you couldn't ask to have to better folks on your posse. Off the line they were personable,

friendly and enjoyable. On the line they are serious contenders, unlike me. I really enjoyed shooting with the whole posse. Sass events like this have made me a believer in the goodness of people and importance of keeping our 2nd amendment rights. In the 50 years I've been around I have never come across a bunch of strangers that are your friends in a split second. Hats off to all the cowboys and cowgirls who shot and made the 2011 event GREAT.

Best regards

Bull McFearson

Awww... thank you honey!!! :wub: California was GREAT!!! Thanks to Calgary Kate and Mescalero for being such a great host and hostess!

Lola Jane

It was one heck of a weekend!! It was wonderful to have so many first-timers this year and we certainly hope ya'll will be back. So many great friends. Just went by too fast!!

Black Harris....we expect to see ya'll next year. You were definitely missed.

Go West....We've been thinking about a "play date" for you and Aim Me, Lola and Wily, and us -- and hopefully Sassy, Windy and others. Stay tuned!

Lola and Wily....ya'll are welcome back any time. Can't wait!!

Thanks all for being patient while we got scores posted. Check 'em out!

Archived