SASS Wire Forum

Powder equivalents

I know we can't post any numbers or formulas and such here but would like to get a close idea to some equivalent loads. I have been using WIN231 for years in 38 special on the low side of the charts with 125/130/110 RNFP rds and my supply is about gone. I have acquired lots of HP38 and Titegroup at bargain basement prices so will now start using that. If anyone has tried/tested it and could PM me a chart or some info it would be much appreciated. The online data from Hodgson and Winchester helps but I'm looking for answers sooner rather than after several trips to the range to test things.

Thanks

Colt

I know we can't post any numbers or formulas and such here but would like to get a close idea to some equivalent loads. I have been using WIN231 for years in 38 special on the low side of the charts with 125/130/110 RNFP rds and my supply is about gone. I have acquired lots of HP38 and Titegroup at bargain basement prices so will now start using that. If anyone has tried/tested it and could PM me a chart or some info it would be much appreciated. The online data from Hodgson and Winchester helps but I'm looking for answers sooner rather than after several trips to the range to test things.

Thanks Colt

W-231 and Hodgdons HP38 are the exact same powders. Made by St. Marks Powder Co. in Crawfordville Fla. They are now, and always have been, the same powders, just packaged differently.

So, if you have been using W-231, and now have a quantity of HP 38, your in business.

If there is any doubt in your mind, call Hodgdon's Customer Service desk at 913-362-9455. They will confirm this.

W-231 and Hodgdons HP38 are the exact same powders. Made by St. Marks Powder Co. in Crawfordville Fla. They are now, and always have been, the same powders, just packaged differently.

So, if you have been using W-231, and now have a quantity of HP 38, your in business.

If there is any doubt in your mind, call Hodgdon's Customer Service desk at 913-362-9455. They will confirm this.

Thanks for the reply. I have been told many times the two powders are one in the same but when playing with powder you have to verify these things!!!!

Now I do know Titegroup has a lot more bang so hope to get some feedback on it.

Thanks again

Colt

Thanks for the reply. I have been told many times the two powders are one in the same but when playing with powder you have to verify these things!!!!

Now I do know Titegroup has a lot more bang so hope to get some feedback on it.

Thanks again Colt

Colt, go to your local powder dealer and geta copy of Hodgdon's Basic Reloading Manual, or call Hodgdon,s Customer Service desk and they will send you one. This manual has a Cowboy Action section that will answer all your questions for all calibers. It lists starting loads and Max. loads for all SASS calibers, with several choices of powder in each.

RBK

Colt, reference books are a great source of data. You should buy a copy of Propellent Profiles. Detailed information, with loading data, for nearly every powder sold, and far out classes the several few knowledgeable folks on the SASS Wire.

In addition, down load this from the Internet ... http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading/components/powderburnrate.html

After reading up, then you will be able to factually ANSWER questions instead of ASKING them. The Wire DEFINITELY needs more folks with factual knowledge of internal ballistics related to the frequent powder questions

Happy Easter All!

Archived