SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Model P issue

dsk

I just bought a brand new Cimarron Model P, 4 3/4" old frame with dual 45LC/45ACP cylinders. I'm really impressed by the quality for what I paid..... with just one exception. The barrel isn't perfectly indexed and the front sight leans over noticeably to the right. I took it to the range today just to be sure it wasn't purposely sighted in like that, and sure enough while it functions perfectly it shoots a bit to the left. My question is, is this something I should have Cimarron fix or should I give it to a dedicated SAA gunsmith? The reason why I didn't automatically decide on sending it back to the factory is that I've read some negative things about Cimarron's quality of service and turnaround time. I also read on their warranty page how sight regulation isn't one of the things they cover, although I would assume a leaning front sight would prove that it isn't just me. I figure there are guys here who are in the know and can tell me which action to take. I'm certainly not about to go screwing around trying to fix the sight regulation on my own.

Cimmaron's service for me has been top notch!

Two separate occasions and two different pistols (45 Colt old frames) they fixed at no charge. I did pay shipping to them.

Turn around time about 2 months.

I would bet fully one third to one half of the fixed sight pistols I've used have benefited from turning the barrel in or out a tad. (And there have been a LOT of them) I use barrel blocks made from oak with a sprinkling of rosin in the cavity to grip the barrel - clamp the barrel in the blocks in a vise and turn the frame on or off the barrel with a frame wrench or a hardwood tool handle. Properly regulated, the sight may still lean a bit one way or the other, but that's just the nature of the beast. If perfectly centered sights were "on" at a given range, adjustable sights would never have been invented.

It doesn't make me too happy to know I'd have to pay shipping back AND be without it for at least two months. I guess I'll need to just live with it for awhile and wait until the novelty wears off to send it back. Maybe by then I'll think of other things to have done to it as well to make the trip worthwhile.

Does Cimarron offer the "US finish" (color case/blue) as a refinishing option?

Archived