SASS Wire Forum

44 colt question

Yes, presuming ypou are loading the "modern" 44 Colt, with an inside the case bullet, not the original heeled 45 caliber.

The Russian is shorter, so you will have to back off the seating and crimping dies.

Yes, presuming ypou are loading the "modern" 44 Colt, with an inside the case bullet, not the original heeled 45 caliber.

The Russian is shorter, so you will have to back off the seating and crimping dies.

THANKS

I use a 44 Special Lee die set. It seats & roll crimps in the seater die. I bought this die set at a Gun Show a few years back for $5.00. it was never used an in new condition. It does not have the carbide button on the sizer die. For sizing I use my 44 mag. RCBS carbide sizer.

I never have tried the 44 Mag RCBS die set for loading the 44 Colt. I adjusted the 44 Special Lee's and starting loading the Colts.

44 Ruski's are shorter than the Colt's by about the same length as the Special are to the Colts.

BTW; I use the same powder loading for the Colts as I do the Specials.

They work fine in Revolvers, not so much in Rifles ;)

If you shoot them in Rifle, have rod handy to get them out. :o

Lefty - since the capacity of the 44 Colt is less than that of the Special I assume you're starting with a reduced load.

For straight wall pistol cases you can usually use dies made for a shorter cartridge to load the longer one but not the other way around. Resizing doesn't matter but reaching the crimping part of the seating die will be a problem if your using long dies to load a shorter caliber. BTW - the rim diameter on the 44 Russian and 44 Special is larger than that of the 44 Colt which might cause problems in some revolvers but should not matter in a rifle. Case length is the main issue with feeding a rifle.

Semi Conductor

Who shoots 44 Colts in a variety of rifles and pistols.

I use a 44 Special Lee die set. It seats & roll crimps in the seater die. I bought this die set at a Gun Show a few years back for $5.00. it was never used an in new condition. It does not have the carbide button on the sizer die. For sizing I use my 44 mag. RCBS carbide sizer.

I never have tried the 44 Mag RCBS die set for loading the 44 Colt. I adjusted the 44 Special Lee's and starting loading the Colts.

44 Ruski's are shorter than the Colt's by about the same length as the Special are to the Colts.

BTW; I use the same powder loading for the Colts as I do the Specials.

They work fine in Revolvers, not so much in Rifles ;)

If you shoot them in Rifle, have rod handy to get them out. :o

I shoot 44 Colts in my 3rd Gen 44 specials & my Charter 44 Bulldog.

Tried them in my 92 Rossi. The smaller rim does not engage the 44 mag/special extractor.

No extraction in the 92. Don't have a Marlin or 73 in the 44 caliber.

Yes I am shooting reduced loads, they are my match loads, 44 target loads. If I were loading

standard 44 Colt loads I would use a different reloading receipe.

I use a #3 RCBS Shell holder with Starline brass.

Howdy Reuben,

I use RCBS Cowboy dies in 44 Russian/Specials..I load all 44 Russian, 44 Colt (new) and 44 Special..I roll crimp all and only shoot Holy Black..

I really like the RCBS Cowboy's way with real Pb bullets..

Regards,

Texas Red

Archived