SASS Wire Forum

Hey BMC

Grizzly Dave

I get mine from Missouri Bullet company and they are .430.From what I've read on posts in here and the wire;that seems to be the most common on recent replica's.But,when I first started reloading 44-40 seems to me the Laser Cast I was buying was .428 and the Suter's Choice were .427.To be honest,really couldn't tell the difference in the way they shoot.Not at the distances we shoot anyway.

When I started with .44-40s I was shooting Rugers OMV. They had the .44 Mag barrels and liked the .430s. But and there is always a but, I shot .429 sometimes. Didn't make much difference at SASS distances and my shooting.

Anyway, I sold off the Rugers and bought .45s Rodeos. I think I shot them once or twice. They are now safe queens. I should probably sell them off but they don't eat anything. Anyway, I digress. I then bought some

EMF Californians. I like them real well and they are .44-40. I asked around about the bullet diameter and got five different answers from two different suppliers. Anyway, trial and error, I ended up with .428s. I had a bunch of .430 lead left over that I just ran through the sizer and got voila, .428. I shoot .429 in my Marlin, sometimes .430s.

I don't always put powder in the casings because it makes them dirty and I don't like the loud noise. The primers are loud enough. Sometimes I leave the primers out too. Very quiet and hardly any recoil atall.

As far as Willie goes, he is very busy buying .22 caliber rifles. He has bought two that I know of in the last three weeks and I think he has a third that he bought recently. He also still has his Marlin 39 and a Henry, all in .22. I think the doctors put something in his meds. He is awaiting his eye surgery so he can see. I told him that seeing the target was not important. Shooting the radiator in a Buick was important. Anyway, his SASS

shooting is on hold until he gets his eyes fixed. Then he has some other issues to deal with in the social

arena. He has a new lady friend and I suspect that he will be involved in things other than six guns. But he seems to be in good health and spirits. The down side is that the doc told him that the Raging River Club and Cafe's Joe's Special was not on his menu anymore.

Archived