SASS Wire Forum

Buffalo Arms reduced recoil BP 45 ammo

A. Siringo #49474 L

Howdy!

Anybody got any idea on what load Buffalo Arms are using in their 45 colt reduced recoil BP ammo..?

(200grs bullit i know, but what kind of powder and how much...? filler...? )

I am asking because i'm looking into buying BP ammo for next years WR, but i would like to replicate their

load here (in Norway) for testing purposes first...

I have asked them, but they are unable to disclose that information....

Regards

Angelo Siringo

Hamar - Norway

Not real difficult to reverse engineer. Chrono their load; disassemble a round or two and figure out what filler they use. Start with about 2/3 case of your BP and fill the rest with their filler choice, and chronograph your load. Adjust BP amount until velocities match. If you have a favorite filler, use it instead of trying to guess what they use.

If'n Buffalo Arms would not tell you, why would they tell other pards?

My reduced loads run about 23 grains by vol of FFg BP, and remaining filler to achieve slight compression, under a 170 pistol bullet or a 230 grain rifle slug. That is well more than 1 CC of powder, so it smokes enough.

Good luck, GJ

Half a thickness of circle fly wad will get you a civilized load. He makes his wads in pistol dimensions. Get a wad that is a couple of thousanths over bullet size to make good seal in case. Cut this wads in half with razor blade. Works great, is pretty fast at the loading end of it, and helps keep the bore clean during firing.

Howdy,

Well, it's kind of hard to get BP ammo shipped to Norway, so the reverse engineering is out...

I was kind of thinking some of the cowboys here had allready done that... ;)

The load i shoot over here uses about 15grains of swiss FFF, the rest of the case is filler, on top

a 180grains BP lubed RNFP Magma bullit.., no wad... load these on a 650 with two reservoirs and this load

works perfektly for FCD.

I'm pretty shure BA's load is a bit hotter, but how much...?

Regards

Siringo

The load i shoot over here uses about 15grains of swiss FFF, the rest of the case is filler, on top

a 180grains BP lubed RNFP Magma bullit.., no wad... load these on a 650 with two reservoirs and this load

works perfektly for FCD.

I'm pretty shure BA's load is a bit hotter, but how much...?

Siringo -

Your current load - 15 grains of BP is barely 1 CC, if I remember right (away from my loading books). That might be periously close to the smoke minimum.

My current load - 23 grains is 1.5 CC of powder, which I have not chrono'd with my 170 grain slugs, but my guess it it's making about 750 FPS.

Buffalo Arms 200 grain reduced recoil does not list the muzzle velocity on the web site. If we knew that, we could get you real close to an equivalent recoil load to practice with. Have any of our pards chrono'd this 45 Colt load from Buffalo Arms?

My uninformed guess is that BA's load probably makes 700 to 750 FPS with a 200 grain slug. So, that would take about about 20-25 grains of Swiss to achieve that. If you were to move up to a 25 grain load, some filler, and your 180 grain slug, you would probably be close to equivalent recoil - maybe even over their load.

If we can get a little more data from some source, you might be on your way.

Good luck, GJ

Contact Samuel Carpenter and some of the other pards that came to Winter Range from Norway this year. We loaded a bunch of .45 for them with APP and grits.

Hi Larsen,

I was one of them guy's... The ammo you loaded worked great, could not miss with it! :-)

I am looking for options for next year, so i dont have to rely on help from bussy pards..

Thanks!

Siringo

Archived