SASS Wire Forum

Taylor Burgess

Stumpy Ryan

Hi Pard;

Just bought one (.45) and shot it today. Works like a charm.

I can certainly see why Winchester was so worried about this new design!

It is a vastly superior design to the good ole 73!

I can't wait to do exploratory surgery on this little darling.

I've been shooting mine off-on for 9 months. It's in 44-40 and fun to shoot. It does have a learning curve, since it isn't like a '66-73, Marlin, nor '92.

Bad Hand...

Tell me about your 'learning curve'....

I bought one in 44-40, but haven't shot it yet..

Thx

AzP

The "feel" and lever throw isn't like any of the other lever actions I have. Smoother than a '92, about as long as a Marlin, but not as smooth as my '66. I have to move the lever "with authority", can't baby it.

The "feel" and lever throw isn't like any of the other lever actions I have. Smoother than a '92, about as long as a Marlin, but not as smooth as my '66. I have to move the lever "with authority", can't baby it.

Oh, so in a way, it's like a 1911 where you can't limp wrist it, you have to hold it/work it, like you mean it.

If any body uses black powder in one, I'd like to know what the clean up is like.

My pard Pine Ridge Jack shot his .44/40 Burgess for the first time a couple of weeks ago. He said there was absolutely nothing in the action, swabbed out the barrel and he was golden.

He did mention the lever throw takes some getting used to like mentioned above. I did not get to shoot it but the action felt very slick. The bolt appeared to be exceptionally slick, either very nicelt polished or plated, I'm not sure.

It worked flawlessly thru the match as long as he didn't short stroke it.

Is anyone using the new Burgess rifle? If so, how is it working out? I'm looking at one and any feedbabk would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stumpy Ryan

I have one in .45LC. It works smoother than my .45LC Short Rifle or my 45-75 NWMP. My biggest problem was the ammo; had to change from 200 gn bullets to 255. The profile of the 200s was just short enough to cause a lot of stovepiping; the 255s work flawlessly. Haven't shot it in a match, yet, but it seems pretty accurate.

Stumpy,

If you get it, I want to take it apart

Dallas

I'm with you. I have an original Colt Burgess I've restored and shooting. Had to make a number of parts for it and it was frustrating at times not to have another rifle to take apart and see exactly how things worked. I've never handled one of the reproductions and am anxious to do so as well as take it apart to see what the differences are. From the pictures I've seen of the reproductions there are some differences between the originals and the reproductions.

I agree that the design is better than the Winchester '73.

Sage Creek Gus

Always wondered if there is a difference in the size of the lever between a Burgess and a Uberti 73, and if there is a difference in the lenght of through from one stock rifle to another?

Roy

Archived