SASS Wire Forum

Kevin Costner for gun control ?

Rube Burrows

Unfortunately, it seems that in hollywood the majority are anti-gun..

I have a lot less respect for the ones that are openly anti-gun and anti-violence while at the same time making megabucks from acting in movies that are full of shooting, killing, and blowing things up..They seem to rationalize that "It's only a movie, and they're only acting."

Stallone, Clooney, and Costner come immediantly to mind..Sharon Stone is another.

The thing is, these people are ACTORS..They make a living pretending to be something they're not, and live in a fantasy world..They apparently also tend to have fairly low self-esteem, and it's been said to be the reason so many of them gets involved in various causes..Some legit, some not so much..And the causes they get involved with absolutely LOVES them, because they can bring these organizations a LOT of publicity, as well as donate a lot of $$$$ to "further the cause"! :angry:

Both us and them would be so much better off if they would just take themselves less seriously.. ;)

Actors-Especially the highest paid ones, either have forgotten how it was to work and live in the real world, or never had to in the first place..They reside in ivory towers, surrounded by high-tech security, bodyguards, and are often armed themselves..Although it's OK for THEM..Since they're so rich and successful they MUST know what's good for the masses so much better than the masses themselves do..

This is what so many folks tend to forget, including the actors themselves.. :D

In some regards, one can understand why actors, as well as music stars and politicians..Want gun control..They have to deal with a lot of stalking from nut jobs, death threats, ect..But that's simply part of the price of fame..If ya can't deal with it, don't go there in the first place IMHO..

If one wants to watch movies or listen to music..They either have to stick mainly with watching or listening to, over and over..Stuff that was done many years ago, or agree to disagree with the political and philisophical views of the people making them and hope they will eventually see the light..Although I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for that to happen!

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
Unfortunately, it seems that in hollywood the majority are anti-gun..

I agree on your entire post Doc, but the fact that the majority are anti-gun makes me question the basic intelligence of that majority.

It takes away from making any of their screen characters believable. And to me that's the whole idea of being a good actor, it's supposed to get the audience to accept that actor in the role they portray.

Besides Clooney and Costner, the new 007 who's name is Daniel Craig is extremely anti-gun. It takes away from making his role believable.

As for Costner and his elitist attitudes, to me he's just Un-American! :FlagAm:

:D

Well, that was my main point actually, but after reading back on my post I guess I didn't make it all that clear..Although there are some people in hollywood that are highly intelligent, (Sharon Stone is supposed to be a member of Mensa or something like that) there don't seem to be a he!! of a lot of common sense there..

Just like when I was in college, it seemed that the smartest people book-wise were (for the most part) total morons when it came to common sense. :D .

Come on folks, these people are actors, well they claim to be. Not always well qualified.

They are supposed to give you an illusion. I enjoyed Costner in Open Range very much.

I think he did a great job of acting. I don't think I would put him on a pedestal but his character in that film was very believable. Like most actors, he has had some dogs, but he also has appeared in some pretty good films.

Like others have said, just because they live on a bigger than life stage, does not give them anymore insight into social issues than you, me, or any one else.

No body has all of the answers.

Except me! ;)

Well I dont put any of them up on a pedestal. They are just people like the rest of us. Its just hard to see where anyone stands these days. Guys who love to hunt and star in Western movies calling for gun control.

Guess they cant all be John Wayne. :wacko: :wacko: :):blush::P

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
Well, that was my main point actually, but after reading back on my post I guess I didn't make it all that clear..Although there are some people in hollywood that are highly intelligent, (Sharon Stone is supposed to be a member of Mensa or something like that) there don't seem to be a he!! of a lot of common sense there..

Just like when I was in college, it seemed that the smartest people book-wise were (for the most part) total morons when it came to common sense. ;) .

Doc, that was my experience as well when I was in College.

And it didn't stop with the students, sorry to say.

I know what you mean. I guess I thought Costner was more like us than some of the others like Clooney.

The operative word here is 'actor'. Why would anyone think there's any link to the role they play to what they actually believe?

Adding on, it is my firm opinion that actors only espouse what their publicists tell them. Most actors are phony through and through.

Archived