SASS Wire Forum

Beretta Goldrush That was accepted in my Challenge

Deadeye Dallas, SASS #60249

When I started my Taurus challenge, I was asked if I would try a Beretta Goldrush under same conditions. I said yes because I wanted to try the lightnings with the worst reputation.

Rifle would sometimes work good if you completed the stroke with one continuous motion with a good snap to the closing. If you hesitated or cycled it slow the round would pivot on the rim and head up, getting worse with closing

See photos

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy37/De...stovepiping.jpg

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy37/De...seonclosing.jpg

I modified ejectors so they came in 1/1000 each. Then proceeded with my action job.

The video shows slow firing because this is for sure where the stove piping occured. This was also first firing after putting her back together.

Hey Coyote Kid You didn't need it back till spring, did You?

Deadeye Dallas

i also have the beretta lightning, which failed to work from day 1. i sent it back twice, with a handful of dummy rounds to show where the feeding problem was occuring. they returned it twice with no adjustment, stating that it worked properly with factory Magtech ammo. they even sent an end flap from the ammo that they used. after comparing this rifle to the other lightning rifles that i have, including original colts, i found that there was significant movement in the cartridge guides/ejectors every time a cartridge passed by. there was no such movement in the other lightnings. i even told beretta about this, but they were not particularly interested in this observation. they just wanted to replace it with one of their 1873's, none of which have i ever seen in use. using a #6 lock washer under the retaining screw on each side of the receiver which hold the cartridge guides/ejectors in place, the problem was fixed. it is interesting that pedersoli uses a screw at both ends of this part to hold them in place. it is obviously very important that these guides have no play when cartridges are being fed into the chamber. of course beretta has now discontinued this rifle, like so many others who can't get their guns to work. total cost of repair was about 1/2 cent for the 2 washers.

i also have the beretta lightning, which failed to work from day 1. i sent it back twice, with a handful of dummy rounds to show where the feeding problem was occuring. they returned it twice with no adjustment, stating that it worked properly with factory Magtech ammo. they even sent an end flap from the ammo that they used. after comparing this rifle to the other lightning rifles that i have, including original colts, i found that there was significant movement in the cartridge guides/ejectors every time a cartridge passed by. there was no such movement in the other lightnings. i even told beretta about this, but they were not particularly interested in this observation. they just wanted to replace it with one of their 1873's, none of which have i ever seen in use. using a #6 lock washer under the retaining screw on each side of the receiver which hold the cartridge guides/ejectors in place, the problem was fixed. it is interesting that pedersoli uses a screw at both ends of this part to hold them in place. it is obviously very important that these guides have no play when cartridges are being fed into the chamber. of course beretta has now discontinued this rifle, like so many others who can't get their guns to work. total cost of repair was about 1/2 cent for the 2 washers.

You are right the ejectors should have no play. This Beretta did not have any to start with. The ejectors actually have three functions. They guide the bolt, they keep the round in the right position so the bolt can properly chamber it, and then to eject the round.

Dallas

Dallas, glad your able to make one work. I finally shot mine after getting it back from Beretta? It will work if you stroke it just right? Shot the Magteck ammo they told me to use

only thing is the gun don't like magteck primmers. Had about a third of them not go off. Then shot some Ammo Direct lever action ammo it did better?

Are they worth keeping, not much fun to shot the way it is. Plus i hear they need to be kept real clean?

Looks like your the Man with these guns!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy

Dallas,

The video was a sight to see. I really enjoyed seeing the video of a Gold Rush performing so well.

Especially when it was mine.

You definetly put the FUN back in that Gold Rush.

No, I really don't need it back until spring. I'm a warm weather cowboy and the older I get, the warmer I like it.

JD look out this spring, 'cause I think I have an advantage on you now.

Thanks Dallas and take your time with the rifle.

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

Dallas, glad your able to make one work. I finally shot mine after getting it back from Beretta? It will work if you stroke it just right? Shot the Magteck ammo they told me to use

only thing is the gun don't like magteck primmers. Had about a third of them not go off. Then shot some Ammo Direct lever action ammo it did better?

Are they worth keeping, not much fun to shot the way it is. Plus i hear they need to be kept real clean?

Looks like your the Man with these guns!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy

After reading your post I went out to my shop and tested different OAL on the rounds the rifle will shoot. It handles with ease 1.43 - 1.59.

What happens when you don't stroke it just right? Doesn't sound like Beretta finished the job.

Dallas

as an additional note- i also have 2 of the uberti lightnings, also in 357, and they have worked fine from the first outing. the beretta and uberti guns are almost identical in function and design; however, beretta couldn't get it right and just gave up. imagine telling an owner that it only works with one brand of factory ammo? how many of us could afford to shoot very much if all we used was factory ammo? i have not had a chance to try the pedersoli version, but i have heard that it may be the best of the lot.

Archived