SASS Wire Forum

F/S Original 1873 Winchester Short Rifle 44-40, 20" Long Octagonal Bbl., Made in 1911 Price Drop

F/s: Original 1873 Winchester short rifle, 44-40 octagon bbl. proofed for smokeless powder, made in 1911. Most short rifles have been "Rode Hard and Put Away Wet";

This rifle is in V.G. condition. I would rate the bore as a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being mint. Well defined lands and grooves, not pitted (no black powder ?). Action is smooth with safety notch holding like a bank vault. All factory stampings are excellent (including proof marks on frame and bbl.); correct sights and short forearm.

Short forearm is 8 3/8" long like it should be. Sliver of wood missing from top of forearm, butt stock fits tight and proud, butt plate fits tight; no damage. I cannot find any marks that original finish was removed by sanding, all factory stampings are excellent and octagon bbl. has sharp corners. My opinion is this rifle was shipped "in the white". Used but not abused. Serial # 660994 B. Cashiers Check or USPS Money Order $3000.00 shipped and insured to your FFL in Continental USA. Pm me for questions.

Reb

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_6063.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

Reb, get a factory letter on the finish. Shipping "in the white" would be highly unusual and add lots of value if it really was, cowrustler

Definitely need a letter on this. Only 1 in 450 1873’s were shorter than standard. Cool piece..

• Peacemaker Reb changed the title to F/S Original 1873 Winchester Short Rifle 44-40, 20" Long Octagonal Bbl., Made in 1911 Price Drop

Yes, need a letter very unusual if untouched

best Wishes

Would need a Letter to even consider this one.

Archived