SASS Wire Forum

Experience With Codymatic short stroke?

Doc Justuce

3 Codymatics, a 24” Navy arms ‘73, the wife has a 66 short rifle….both in 45lc. Many thousands of rounds through them, flawless. I just bought another a couple of weeks ago, short deluxe ‘73. Great rifles. Good luck with your choice. 

• Thanks 1

I have nine CodyMatics, had more, but have sold some.  I normally take my rifles right to Cody's shop, or home.  Cody works alone, so no crew.  He is not associated with Taylors.  His wife used to work there and Cody ordered many rifles through them.  He used to do their gun smithing, but an in-law started doing their work.  Cody only gets involved when he has to correct some of their work.

I have had no issues with any of these CodyMatic Rifles.  One had an ejector break and Cody fixed it, no charge.  He has a lifetime warrantee on his work.   Cody does my 45LC and 357 Mag rifles, I do my own 44-40s.

I used to teach Machine Shop at our local Vo-Tech.  I only shoot black powder in my three 44-40s and as a Cattle Baron, I am not getting any faster.  I just want a good functioning rifle which I can consider being reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have two of them in .45 Colt. I have not had any issues with them over the years. 

I spoke with Cody (Don Jones) at length about the difference between the cut and weld and the short stroke kits. The takeaway I had was that his modification was smoother than the kit was. 

I run mine with the Colt carriers as modified and lightened by Cody and also the Smith Shop .45 Cowboy Special carriers that I lightened to match the Cody matic carriers. No issues at all. Bill English does/did good work. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:48 AM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Interesting story here:

Our store's major cowboy gun dealer at time was Cimarron so we ordered '73s from them and usually had them sent directly to Cody.  We then sold them as "race ready" for customers.  Some Cody sent on to customer and never came back to us.  Others we often sold to Joe then he resold them.  When Miss Ann (my late wife) passed away Donald (Cody) and his wife Linda flew down for funeral.  There Cody and Briscoe (Joe) met face-to-face and struck up more of a one-on-one "partnership" so no middle man was involved.  We were all friends so it worked best for all.  There are a number of shooters that still mention to me how they got their Codymatic from me.

BTW, the Briscoes are fine, traveling a lot, not tent vending any more nor shooting much.  They were at EOT passing thru this year.  I do not live far from them so can go visit easily.

That's great to hear Billy! I wondered how they were since I don't see mention of them and their website is no longer.

• Like 1

Cody did my 1866, 38 spcl 9 years thousands of rounds never a hitch.