SASS Wire Forum

watchin the twilight zone

interesting premise that brought back a lot of memories and made a statement of our worlds today -

it was about a newspaper headline that the world was going to end tonight at 11:45 because mars decided to splt for the sun and crash into earth , not at all likely but hey - it was the 60s and that was the era of believing everything you read in the paper ...that's their source on this episode , 

it was tjhe time when you believed what you read because journalists tried to tell the truth and got their facts right , they checked them , so they believed everything they read , , it was a better time , we actually trusted the media to tell the truth , TODAY WE WOULD"NT at least i wouldn't , 

funny it did that , - today we would scoff at the idea right off , but back in [i think 34] orsin wells did it with radio , in the 60s they used it in a SI FI spoof , sorta happened back in 1999/2000 with the Y2K on the internet but i dont think today anyone would fall for this, i no logger believe what the MSM says without scrutiny and i trust them less than politicians whom i dont trust at all , 

but it wasa a fun watch , as wells radio show was a fun listen , 

i loved the ending - three newspapers with different headlines , none of them the end of the world - a hoax , then the end of the show - shooting of the guy that published the false report - just because there are consequences - moral of the story was dont lie , wonder if our current media ever thinks of that , or the Politian's either ? 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recall that when I was a kid in the ‘60’s and early ‘70’s that the news was generally correct and unsensationalized. It was around 1976 a friend of my Dad’s hired my Dad to renovate the attic of his house. This guy had a box full of British newspapers that he kept when he lived in Germany. He could get British newspapers easily so that’s how he kept up on the news. 
I remember how insanely outlandish the headlines and articles were. Suppositions and innuendo turned into “news”.

I think it was in 1990 when it dawned on me that our American news agencies had become the like British news agencies. Lies, innuendo and suppositions were the news.

Today I am skeptical of all news. Regardless of the source. Right wing, Left wing, Centrist…It doesn’t matter. They are all manipulative sons-of-b****es that only care about manipulation, money and ego. 

• Like 2