SASS Wire Forum

An Engineer knew

main-qimg-e359dfcdea19e5a6811198ac57aa17db

An Indian was also sitting in a compartment of the same train along with the British.

The compartment was packed with Englishmen. They all kept making fun of that Indian. Someone was saying, look who sat in the train, while someone was laughing at his attire and calling him a boor. Someone was so angry that he was cursing the train and shouting, why was an Indian allowed to board the train? Take it out of the box.

But it had no effect on the man wearing dhoti-kurta, black coat and turban on his head. He was sitting with a calm and serious expression, as if he was engaged in some puzzle.

The train was running at a fast speed and the mockery and insult of the Indian by the British was also continuing at the same pace. But suddenly the man got up from the seat and shouted loudly "Stop the train". Before anyone could understand anything, he stopped the train. Pulled the chain. The train stopped.

Now it seemed as if the anger of the British had erupted. Everyone was abusing him. All the words like 'barbarian' and 'jahil' were in the dictionary. But the man was standing quietly in a serious posture. As if anyone's words had no effect on him. His silence was increasing the anger of the British.

The train guard came running. Asked in a harsh voice, "Who stopped the train?"

Before any Englishman could speak, the man spoke: "I stopped, sir."

Are you mad ? Are you sitting in a train for the first time? You know, stopping a train without reason is a crime:- said the guard angrily.

Yes sir! It is known that if I had not stopped the train, hundreds of people would have lost their lives.

Hearing what that person said, everyone started laughing loudly. But without getting distracted, he said with full confidence: - There are broken tracks at a distance of about one furlong from here. If you want, you can walk and see.

The man and some English riders also went along with the guard. Even on the way, the British were leaving no stone unturned in lashing out at him.

But everyone's eyes widened when in reality, the track was broken around the distance mentioned. The nuts and bolts were open. Now all those faces including the guard, who were calling that Indian uncultured, illiterate, mad, .They started looking at him curiously, as if asking how did you know all this from such a distance??..

The guard asked: How did you know that the tracks were broken??

He said:- Sir, people were busy in their respective works in the train. At that time my attention was focused on the speed of the train. The train was running at natural speed. But suddenly I felt a change in its speed due to the vibration of the track. This happens when the track is broken at some distance. So, without wasting a moment, I pulled the chain to stop the train.

The guards and the British standing there were stunned. The guard asked, such detailed technical knowledge! You don't look like an ordinary person. Introduce yourself.

The person replied very politely:- Sir, I am Indian Engineer Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya...

Yes ! That extraordinary person was none other than "Dr. Visvesvaraya

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8