SASS Wire Forum

SOLD- FS: Iver Johnsons "Owl Head” (Collectors gun and not recommended for shooting)

Collectors gun and not recommended for shooting

Iver Johnsons "Owl Head”, .38 S&W caliber (Black Powder only)  There are no markings on the frame and no serial number to research its age, best guess is 1910 and that is only a guess.

This gun is for black powder only.  The flutes in the cylinder for the stop bolt are longer than the ones for smokeless and the owl is facing forward.

This was part of an estate that I acquired and have  no need for it.  Perhaps some one out there needs a piece of history. 

$100 and I get the shipping .....  

I am at the mercy of LGS's and fellow shooters on what this is.  It is a novelty item, and the information provided is a best guess.  What is consistent is the brand, claliber and the "don't shoot this".  Even the internet has been less than helpful at times.  My expertise is not in anything made by Iver Johnson.

Thanks for looking......

11a.jpg

11b.jpg

11c.jpg

Edited by Hashknife Cowboy

• Hashknife Cowboy changed the title to FS: Iver Johnsons "Owl Head” (Collectors gun and not recommended for shooting)

It looks like a Safety Automatic Hammerless; if it has the safety lever in the face of the trigger (hard to tell from the photos), it is Second Model made 1897-1908 and black powder cartridge only.  If there's no safety lever in the trigger, it is Third (or "New") Model made 1909-1941 and it is safe for smokeless powder cartridges.  Neither the length of the flutes nor the horizontal cylinder stops are definitive as there are both Second Model variations and Third Model variations with both of those features.  There will be a serial number, usually including a letter, under the port side grip panel, if it is indeed an Iver Johnson gun and not one of the many clones that were made in Spain, Belgium or elsewhere, which will accept IJ grip panels just fine.  And if there is in fact no serial number, who knows who made it, and you are correct, assume it is NOT SAFE to shoot.

Edited by Nostrum Damus SASS #110702
  • Thanks 1

• Hashknife Cowboy changed the title to SOLD- FS: Iver Johnsons "Owl Head” (Collectors gun and not recommended for shooting)