SASS Wire Forum

Webley Revolver letter

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I recently got some "factory letters" from Arms Research for my Webley revolvers.  I'll come right to the point, what they provide is really great for a reasonable price.  In addition to the typical stuff you see on my a Colt or Cody letter, you also get any additional information they have, such as any notes about whom it was sold to, a printout of their database page the gun in on, and if it survives, a copy of the original sales receipt.  Plus, the letter itself is far from generic.  They try to provide information about the pistol in question and so on.  I had 4 revolvers, and the letters, and surviving supplemental info, is different for each one.

In other words, this is one letter that is well worth it for the information provided.  They have information about stuff made by Webley, and Wilkerson Firearms.  I know that at least some of these things are of interest to many of us, so I thought I'd mention it.

Here's their website...

https://www.armsresearch.co.uk/index.htm

And here's a copy of one of my letters.  I removed my name and address.

WebleyVnoname.thumb.jpg.91c385e4915dbc58980d346ced8a0b0f.jpg

The "note" is an example of the extra detail that they provide.  Oh, and there is a typo on this.  This pistol is a Mark V, not a Mark VI.  I wrote to Richard yesterday, the day I got the letter, and I've already gotten a response that a corrected one is on its way with no charge.

I really can't say enough good things about the quality of service they have provided.

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

i appreciate this info , i have 20-25 webley revolvers so ill not letter them all but a couple might be worth the effort - wonder if they letter enfeild revolvers ? 

According to their website, no.   Just Webley and Wilkinson, which I believe was connected to Webley somehow.

I have not been able to find ANY European gun makers (or historians in this case) who offer any kind of a factory letter.   I've looked for, and in some cases contacted, contacted, Uberti, Pietta, Beretta, Enfield, this guy who has Webley's records, Mauser and a few others.   In the case of Mauser, I was able to learn that at the end of the War, the allies disposed of all their records, thinking they were of no value.  For some of the companies, I can't find much, if any info, and the rest have not even bothered to respond. 

I guess they figure there's not much money in providing the information, assuming they they have anything to share.  

Which is kind of odd.   I mean, the cheapest factory letter in this country is a Ruger, which is all of $10.  When you consider that the cost of printing and mailing it is probably at most two bucks, (paper, ink, wear and tear on the printer, envelope and postage combined) that's still a hefty profit margin.   At the other end of the spectrum is Colt, which the basic fee for a letter can run from $75 to $300 for just the letter, and if their research determines anything "special" like factory engraving or it was originally sold to someone famous, they add more money to the basic cost.  (Colt letters are, I feel something of a racket based on their price structure.)  But my point is that a letter is a way to make a few easy bucks, or Euros or Pounds or whatever, for the people who have the record.

I still can't figure out why Remington doesn't offer anything.  I know most, if not all of the old records were destroyed in a fire decades ago, but they must have records of more recently made stuff.

But I am starting to ramble.  I'll stop now.

13 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

According to their website, no.   Just Webley and Wilkinson, which I believe was connected to Webley somehow.

I have not been able to find ANY European gun makers (or historians in this case) who offer any kind of a factory letter.   I've looked for, and in some cases contacted, contacted, Uberti, Pietta, Beretta, Enfield, this guy who has Webley's records, Mauser and a few others.   In the case of Mauser, I was able to learn that at the end of the War, the allies disposed of all their records, thinking they were of no value.  For some of the companies, I can't find much, if any info, and the rest have not even bothered to respond. 

I guess they figure there's not much money in providing the information, assuming they they have anything to share.  

Which is kind of odd.   I mean, the cheapest factory letter in this country is a Ruger, which is all of $10.  When you consider that the cost of printing and mailing it is probably at most two bucks, (paper, ink, wear and tear on the printer, envelope and postage combined) that's still a hefty profit margin.   At the other end of the spectrum is Colt, which the basic fee for a letter can run from $75 to $300 for just the letter, and if their research determines anything "special" like factory engraving or it was originally sold to someone famous, they add more money to the basic cost.  (Colt letters are, I feel something of a racket based on their price structure.)  But my point is that a letter is a way to make a few easy bucks, or Euros or Pounds or whatever, for the people who have the record.

I still can't figure out why Remington doesn't offer anything.  I know most, if not all of the old records were destroyed in a fire decades ago, but they must have records of more recently made stuff.

But I am starting to ramble.  I'll stop now.

i wonder if the staff costs dont outweigh the return , paying people to research and wrote up the synopsis is not cheap these days - everyone wants to make what the CEO does , most without producing or adding to the bottom line , but i see your point , it would seem not only an added revenue stream but also a loyalty building way to get people saying good things abbout your products - good advertising item , 

Archived