SASS Wire Forum

Received this from my US Senator this morning

Blackwater 53393

May 19, 2023

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the unspeakable evil that occurred at the Covenant School in Nashville, Tennessee.

Chuck and I remain heartbroken over the shooting at the Covenant School in Nashville. This tragedy is personal to me and my family, and we continue to grieve along with those who lost loved ones. Evelyn, William, Hallie, Cynthia, Mike, and Katherine will be deeply missed by those who knew and loved them, and I join Tennesseans in keeping their families in my prayers.

I also want to commend the tremendous bravery of the Metro Nashville Police Department officers who did their duty, running towards danger and ultimately saving countless lives.

The United States Senate passed S.Res.150, a resolution I introduced along with Senator Hagerty that honors the memories of those who were killed, recognizes the strength and resilience of the Covenant School community and the state of Tennessee, and applauds the heroism of the officers who responded.

Schools should be places where children are safe to learn, play, and be children, and every parent should have confidence that when they send their children off to school, they will return home safely. That’s why I introduced the Securing Aid for Every (SAFE) School Act, which would establish a $900 million grant program for both public and private schools, giving them the resources they need to enhance school security, as well as hire and train off-duty and former law enforcement officers and veterans to serve as school security officers. This legislation would allow each state to decide what security measures work best for their individual schools. I look forward to working with my colleagues to advance this important and lifesaving bill.  

I know that the outpouring of love and support from Tennesseans for the families who lost loved ones has given them strength and comfort. Please know that I share your heartbreak and resolve to protect our children. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.  If you would like regular updates on my work for Tennessee, please sign up for my weekly newsletter or follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. 

Sincerely,

Marsha Blackburn
United States Senator

I got this one just a little while later.

May 19, 2023

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting me regarding proposed gun regulations.  I always appreciate hearing from Tennesseans.

The Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms, and this cherished right stems from the rich history of our country's founding.  Law-abiding citizens who are gun owners should not be subjected to unconstitutional abridgements of their rights or targeted for persecution.  

I will continue to work with my colleagues to provide law enforcement the tools they need to prevent and reduce gun violence, while also respecting the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.  I am also committed to working with my colleagues to expand mental health treatment and facilities to ensure the severely mentally ill will get the help they need.  

I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please be assured that as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will keep your thoughts in mind should any legislation on this matter come before the committee or the full Senate.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.  If you would like regular updates on my work for Tennessee, please sign up for my weekly newsletter or follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. 

Sincerely,

Marsha Blackburn
United States Senator

I’m reasonably certain that these are form letters, but at least someone in her office is reading what I send to her and that means they are keeping score.

Archived