SASS Wire Forum

Looking for Experience with an Uberti 1858 Remington .44 cal 5.5" barrel

Buckeye Pete, SASS # 29941

Good morning!  I'm looking for some real life experience with the current manufacture of the Uberti 1858 Remington, .44 cap & ball revolver with a 5.5" barrels.   I'm looking to get back in to cap & ball shooting at an occasional monthly club match and possibly plainsman side match at Bordertown.  So for those of you who may have and/or shot some of these  recent Uberti cap guns, what has been your experience?  I started out shooting CAS back in the late '90s with a pair of Pietta '58s and they did OK.  In today's environment, I can buy a pair of Pietta's from Cabelas for $300 each.  The Uberti's are closer to $400 each.  I've shot Uberti rifles and carbines for years and I like their quality.  Does that quality transfer over to their percussion revolvers, specifically their 1858 Remington .44 cal with a 5.5" barrel?

Thanks for reading this and for any real life experience you can share.  Merry Christmas to all!

Buckeye Pete

Ever since Pietta started making cartridge guns, the quality of their cap guns has immensely improved.
The old adage that Uberti quality was alot better than Pietta quality now only applies to older guns.

I have shot cap guns since the early 80s, and have seen the changes in both lines of guns
Personally, I think Pietta has surpassed Uberti in the quality department in both their Colt-Type guns and the Remington replicas.

--Dawg  

3 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Ever since Pietta started making cartridge guns, the quality of their cap guns has immensely improved.
The old adage that Uberti quality was alot better than Pietta quality now only applies to older guns.

I have shot cap guns since the early 80s, and have seen the changes in both lines of guns
Personally, I think Pietta has surpassed Uberti in the quality department in both their Colt-Type guns and the Remington replicas.

--Dawg  

Dawg, 

That is just what I was looking for.  I have followed your posts for many years and I know that you own and shoot a lot of cap guns.  Thank you!

And, to have Garrison Joe put a like on Dawg's post, that seals the deal.   Thanks to you both!

Buckeye Pete

Check my avatar... I've been running a pair that are sporting kirst conversion since 2017 without a single issue (now watch, i'll break a trigger spring). I love my ubertis and wouldn't own another pair of piettas for CAS. I started with a pair of piettas with drop in cylinders and after 3 matches they felt worn out, they rattled and just felt loose. 5 years and thousands of rounds later and my ubertis still feel brand new. 

Archived