SASS Wire Forum

Not SASS but cool - My Newest Hunter

Charlie T Waite

What I just purchased - Seneca Dragon Claw .50 caliber PCP air gun. Ammo choices range from 177 grain round ball to 336-grain cast slugs or Air Venturi Air Bolts, The trigger breaks reliably at around 2 pounds and 12 ounces.

Performance and Accuracy
They put the 336-grain slugs, .177 grain round ball, and 430 grain Air Venturi Air Bolt over the chony and got the following results. The 336-grain slugs averaged 545 FPS across ten shots, generating an average of 221.66 foot-pounds. When shooting on low power, the .177 grain round balls averaged 621 FPS, generating an average of 151.60 foot-pounds. If you're looking for maximum killing power, then you'll want to run the 430 grain Air Venturi Air-bolts, which topped out at around 495 FPS, generating over 234 foot-pounds. When matched with a broad-head, the Air-bolts are exceptionally lethal on big game.  will also shoot Thompson Center .45 Black Powder Shockwave Sabots 200gr (very accurately) and Hornady .495 round balls (1/2 price of the Seneca round balls).  FWIT I ranged tested after sighting in at 50 yds - 1st four gave a ragged hole before opening up a bit.  Still 10 shots per fill and a total of 1.75" Oh yea.  A compressor is easiest but it onpy takes about 250 -300 hand pumps to fill it to 200BAR (3000 PSI).  Oh, one last thing, this was what finally convinced me:  https://youtu.be/pDLzKF9aUwQ  The are a lot of videos on hunting everything from small game to dear & bear with this on you tube.

Actual photo of mine...  Charlie  :FlagAm:

image.png.4a43525708921b068463805ec590967a.png

• Charlie T Waite changed the title to Not SASS but cool - My Newest Hunter

Not a back yard rifle - Very loud for an airgun, I think loud as 22 mag maybe just a bit more 110-120.DB? - definitely not as loud as a center-fire with almost no felt recoil though.

9 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

How loud is it?

Not a back yard rifle - Very loud for an airgun, I think loud as 22 mag maybe just a bit more 110-120.DB? - definitely not as loud as a center-fire with almost no felt recoil though.

Charlie

33 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

Charlie

Thanks for the info.  A very interesting piece.

Muleshoe Bill

I watched a lot of videos & read a lot of reviews before I bought - the most interesting ones were from Keith Warren from Outdoor Channel.  He hunted all kinds of things with it using air-bolts, 336-grain slugs & the hollow points.  Some of the range demonstration videos e.g. clay block, balistic gel & dummies were very impressive as well.  If he can take a cape buffalo with it, a white tail or mule deer should be no problem.  I was impressed when I stopped by the gravel pit this past Sunday - accuracy & impact were better than I though they would be.

Charlie

A few months back I bought a Air Veturi 25 cal. PCP & a hand pump.  With the many breaks to rest it took a hour & 1/2 to pump it up to 3000 PSI.  A month or so later Midway had a Hatsun 12VDC air compressor for 1/2 price.  I bought it.  It cost approximately $100 more the hand pump.

17 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

A few months back I bought a Air Veturi 25 cal. PCP & a hand pump.  With the many breaks to rest it took a hour & 1/2 to pump it up to 3000 PSI.  A month or so later Midway had a Hatsun 12VDC air compressor for 1/2 price.  I bought it.  It cost approximately $100 more the hand pump.

What do you think of the 25 cal - was think of the 45 cal but then they dropped the 50 cal to $599 on a black Friday special. FTIW, I'm not sorry that I went with it.

Archived