SASS Wire Forum

Ruger / Marlin 45-70

Hashknife Cowboy

I had the chance to handle one of these this past weekend.  I would have loved to fire it but since I was indoors at a trade show it probably was not a good idea.  For what it is worth:  Overall finish - satin stainless without flaw.  Wood to metal fit - someone took the time to do it correctly and precisely.  Stock is functional, nice to hold and actually wood not black plastic.  Action:  Smooth and a pleasure to cycle.  Seems to me, Ruger has done it justice.  Sadly the one I handled was not for sale, just a display model.  Looking forward to the introduction of the Cowboy rifles.....

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895trapper/

right_34.jpg

I am waiting for the cowboy versions, in 45-70, and 30-30, and dare I even hope, in .38-55. 
I am a big fan of the 35 Remington, but I hold zero hope of finding a new Ruger/Marlin in this caliber.

I have heard rumors of a return of the 444 Marlin version.  

I commend Ruger for the very high quality of this Marlin...I am just not interested in this version. 

So...the waiting continues, but at least I know, from having seen, and handled one, that the quality of the Marlin is back, thanks to Ruger. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

From their website:

"The Model 336 is fast handling and is an icon of the deer woods. This lever-action rifle is chambered in .30-30 Win. and .35 Rem."

Archived