SASS Wire Forum

Tales from Behind the Plate

So there I was,

I was umpiring the bases and my partner had the plate (title notwithstanding, it was a title I started using a few years ago to describe my umpiring experiences). 

No one on, no outs.  I was in position "A," about 15 feet beyond first base and in foul territory.  The batter hit a line drive to left-center field and the center fielder started making a run for it.  On that play, the plate umpire has the catch-no catch call, and I'm supposed to cut infield and observe the batter-runner touch first (and second, and third if he keeps going).  I did.  I was looking right at first base when the runner touched, and the batting team all erupted in cheers.  I surmised the fielder had not made a catch.  But he threw it to second to cut off the batter-runner, so he stayed at first. 

The plate umpire said, "I have a catch."  The batting team erupted into confused questioning, and I heard several of them discuss how the ball had bounced off the fielder's wrist and hit the ground.  Obviously, my partner did not see it, and I was looking elsewhere like I was supposed to be.  We conferred, and I told him what I saw -- the batter-runner had touched the base and that's all I saw.  Without me having seen anything different from what he had seen, all he could do is call what he saw.  His integrity should not allow him to overturn himself based on what players and coaches saw, and he upheld his integrity.  I fully support him in that.  He MUST call what he sees and not allow himself to be influenced.  So we called the batter-runner out.  The batting team was furious.  They were probably right, but players don't get to call the game; the very second we allow ourselves to be influenced by them, everything goes lunatic crazy.

The game continued.  Once there were three outs, the batting team ran out to take the field.  As their center fielder jogged past me, he mumbled something under his breath that I was intended to hear without being certain of what was said.  I'm 75% sure he called me a "F-ing idiot." 

If I had been 100% certain, I would have heaved him right there.  But I'm not heaving anyone unless I'm certain; my integrity will not let me do that.  I said nothing and gave no reaction whatsoever.  However, between innings I went and spoke with the head coach, and told him what I had heard.  I even told him that had I been 100% certain, the kid would already be gone.  The coach thanked me, and then yelled the kid's name.  He pulled him off to the side and gave him what-for.  This kid is one of their star players and this was a varsity game.  Losing him for something stupid is -- well -- stupid. 

The funny thing is, although I'm convinced my partner probably blew that one call, the team it went against won so strongly that we had to end the game early on a mercy rule.  14-1 after four innings.  So it didn't change a single thing, and both of us left with our integrity intact.

Archived