SASS Wire Forum

Kirst conversion redesign SASS approved?

Boomstick Bruce

So as some of you know, I shoot a pair of stainless Uberti 1858 Remingtons with 5.5" barrels and gated kirst conversions with richard mason ejectors. They are 5 shot only but have a "safety chamber" which is basically a 6th chamber that isn't bored through to rest the hammer in. Well Walt Kirst redesigned the cylinders to be true 5 shot cylinders and with "firing pin retainers" between the 5 chambers for the firing pin to rest in as a safety. So in other words, it would be fully loaded with 5 and have the hammer down between chambers instead on in a 6th "safety chamber". I know the old design was SASS approved but is the new design? I want to buy cylinders for 45acp (to save powder) but don't want to find out my guns are now not SASS approved...

here's a link:

https://www.kirstkonverter.com/1858-remington.html

thanks

YES, they would be LEGAL under current rules.

Five-shot revolvers may load five rounds, but the hammer must rest on a dummy chamber or safety slot/pin in the cylinder to avoid the hammer resting on a live round/cap.

SHB p.13

Did I miss something here? If the goal is to save powder (shoot more) the difference between 45ACP and 45 Colt using "cowboy" loads is negligible using smokeless. If using BP then the difference is much bigger. If the goal is useing less BP why not use Cowboy 45 SPL. cases? The expen se would be far less to set up for 45CB SPL  than the purchase of 2 new cylinders. I am sure Mr. Kirst would appreciate the patronage but it ain't my money to spend .......now is it?:rolleyes:

Long Gulch

On 1/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, Long Gulch, SASS #53035 said:

Did I miss something here? If the goal is to save powder (shoot more) the difference between 45ACP and 45 Colt using "cowboy" loads is negligible using smokeless. If using BP then the difference is much bigger. If the goal is useing less BP why not use Cowboy 45 SPL. cases? The expen se would be far less to set up for 45CB SPL  than the purchase of 2 new cylinders. I am sure Mr. Kirst would appreciate the patronage but it ain't my money to spend .......now is it?:rolleyes:

Long Gulch

I have thousands of pieces of 45acp brass. I go to a local outdoor range and grab all I want for $5, sometimes they don't even charge me... Plus it comes in both large and small primer so I can load with whatever primers I can get my hands on... I load 45acp with 5gn of trail boss and 45 Colt with 6gn...

Archived