SASS Wire Forum

Whats with the funny sailor hats?

Dirty Dan Dawkins

This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a senior E-6 (ET) when I was in the Navy. He and the guys in the division were pressing their jumpers before we hit port in France, and I asked if he would have preferred the Zumwalt "generic" uniforms the Navy adopted in the 70's. That outfit was a single breasted jacket and combination cover, pretty much like the Army wore. He told me hell, no. He said some people thought the crackerjacks were old fashioned and goofy looking, but he said that by God at least he looked like a sailor, and he was proud to wear a uniform and let people know that he was also a sailor in the United States Navy!

Never underestimate the power of tradition. It can build morale and instill pride. Unlike randomly adopting pansy French headgear for an entire branch of service so they look like some South American junta's "elite" army. Note: I am referring to the Army's black beret, not the ones the true elites earned (green berets, air police, etc.). 

1 hour ago, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

This thread reminded me of a conversation I had with a senior E-6 (ET) when I was in the Navy. He and the guys in the division were pressing their jumpers before we hit port in France, and I asked if he would have preferred the Zumwalt "generic" uniforms the Navy adopted in the 70's. That outfit was a single breasted jacket and combination cover, pretty much like the Army wore. He told me hell, no. He said some people thought the crackerjacks were old fashioned and goofy looking, but he said that by God at least he looked like a sailor, and he was proud to wear a uniform and let people know that he was also a sailor in the United States Navy!

Never underestimate the power of tradition. It can build morale and instill pride. Unlike randomly adopting pansy French headgear for an entire branch of service so they look like some South American junta's "elite" army. Note: I am referring to the Army's black beret, not the ones the true elites earned (green berets, air police, etc.). 

We also dumped the "Good Humor" uniform for Crackerjacks. Actually when I was in boot camp and they issued us the Ice Cream Man Suit we were all  little PO'd. Right after I got out of boot I got fitted for my first set of Crackerjacks  at Mary's just outside of Great Lakes Naval Base.

Archived