SASS Wire Forum

Smith and Wesson Model 3's

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I believe we've all considered this to be true in the past, but it has been stated here in the Wire that while Colt has given a definitive date/special markings, for when you can use smokeless in older guns, Smith and Wesson has never said anything that specific.

Well, I wrote them a quick letter and asked about my model 3's in .44-40 and .38-44.  (An elongated .38 S&W)  While they did confirm that the .38-44 can chamber .38 S&W, they said this as well...

"This firearm was not designed to be used with modern ammunition."

So, that sounds pretty definitive to me, from Smith and Wesson themselves, if you do have a old S&W top break in a main match caliber, it's a black powder only gun.

Again, I think most of us have assumed this all along, but it's nice to hear something definitive from the maker of the gun.

Submitted for your information and understanding.   :)

NOT to gainsay either H.K.U. or S&W, I would not have expected any other statement.  Properly developed loads would probably not hurt a New Model #3 for a LITTLE shooting.  But none of the original guns, Colt's, S&W, etc., were really designed for the kind of use we give them in CAS.  Modern replicas will stand a bit more use, with proper ammo, but for CAS/SASS shooters who go at it long and hard, one of Bill Ruger's single actions are a better choice...IMHO!

Archived