SASS Wire Forum

"If I were a Millionaire" essay

I taught a sixth grade class back in 1960-1970.  One of the things we were teach was the concept of a million.  (most people can't even envision a thousand.)

I broke the kids into pairs and told them had a million dollars to spend on anything they wanted, but they could only buy one of anything.  Most could even get into the hundred thousand bracket and had dozens of purchases. (A new four bedroom house was going for about $19,000.00 at that time.)  

I had two teams tie for first place: Two of the brightest young ladies I ever had in a class, bought one thing: one chain of local furniture store company home bases locally.  They had eleven stores but ONLY ONE COMPANY and they got low interest business loan for the slight difference.

Two Navaho boys who were real discipline problems bought a rock quarry and a new chain belt loader for their trucks. TWO ITEMS and enough left over to buy small cement mill to put on the property.

No one else even came close.

A million doesn't go as far as it used to.  Years ago I used to play pool for obscene amounts of money.  At 19 years old, I had 1.5 million in $100 bills in a duffel bag under my bed.  It takes up a surprisingly small amount of space.  My parents still don't know. 

The money is long gone.  But my kids college accounts are well funded, and I had a heck of a fun time on a 3 month heli-skiing trip,  And a few broken bones to go along with it.

Archived