SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 Shortstrok questions?

Gunleather, SASS #46543

So I just picked up a Uberti 73 carbine in 44 Mag,  I’ve been using a Navy Arms/Rossi 1892 in 45 Colt sense 2002. I’m not that knowledgeable about the 73. Is there any shortstrok kits that are drop in or do they all require some fitting. Would you guys recommend using a gunsmith or are they all fairly easy for a guy with limited resources (tools) to do the work?

Thanks for the advice 
Gunleather

None of the Uberti toggle rifle short stroke kits are just drop in.  There's enough variation in the Uberti guns to make each one a little different, and require hand fitting.

It's not a job for a first-time hobbyist.   In your situation (other than being remote from lots of smiths) - I'd advise using a good cowboy gunsmith.  "Regular" gunsmiths often don't know enough about the guns and the game to get the gun tuned right after installing the kit.

And in your case, with the very-low production numbers of .44 magnum 73s, it's hard to tell if ANY short stroke kit will even fit and last.  We've heard rumors the links and lever are either beefed up or higher grade steel in the .44 mag versions.  They weren't made until a few years ago, and have already been discontinued, AFAIK. 

Your gun and your personal level of expertise, as you have described, don't lend themselves to a high probability of a satisfactory outcome.   I'd look through the cowboy gunsmith list in the sticky section and  then give a few a call.   If I just had to name one for you right now, it would be Jim Bowie at Cowboys and Indian shop (Arizona).  His MANY years of experience with designing and installing short strokes in toggle guns will be quite valuable to your decision.

good luck, GJ

Archived