SASS Wire Forum

777 load for 410

Pee Wee #15785

Was at a yard sale Saturday and bought 20 bottles of 777 for $5/bottle.  I am starting a grandson shooting a 410 on steel.  I need a good load for the 410 using 777 Remington hulls and 7 1/2 shot.  I will have him shooting black once the 777 is gone.  I can't buy black as cheap as I got the 777.  It is all FFFg.  He has a hammered double 410 to play with.

Use about 35 to 40 grains of powder as measured in a regular black powder volumetric measure.  If you have Lee Dippers, the 2.5 cc dipper should be dandy.  Depending on which shot cup you have you may have to trim the petals so they don’t stick up beyond the crimp fold.  Or you can just cut them off and use the base as a wad. Use enough shot to get a level shot load up to where the crimp begins.  Tweak the powder and shot volumes as necessary to produce a good tight crimp.  No lube needed.  Don’t worry that 777 is “15% more powerful than black powder.”  It’s not nuclear.

You are basically creating a long black powder  .44/40 cartridge.  He will have fun and the knockdowns will fall.

Archived