SASS Wire Forum

1873 Uberti Rifle 38/357 double feed

Black Mike

A friend of mine (really) called and asked me if I know any good gunsmiths locally that could solve his double feed problem. 

From my experience this usually happens when the OAL is too short. 

Any other reasons or things to check before we send it away?

Two rounds on carrier at same time? 

It's cartridge being too short.   Lets the second round get out into carrier enough to have rim "off" the cartridge return ramp.   It's easy to re-angle that ramp to allow shorter cartridges - usually down to at least 1.400" length, but it depends on the carrier block.   I do these re-ramps on my own guns.  It will be trivial for a cowboy gunsmith to do it.

Otherwise, load to at least 1.500".   You can take carrier out and measure distance from back face to the break at the top of the cartridge return ramp at the front of the carrier.   That will be minimum length the gun will feed without ever catching on the second round that is part way onto carrier.

Cartridge on carrier is cocked sideways enough to jam carrier?  Fix the sharp bevels on the cartridge loading mortise in the frame.

Good luck, GJ

How long are his cartridges?  Easy to check loading gate for a broken/bent tab, too!  Just take off the side plates, one screw.

Good luck, GJ

Archived