SASS Wire Forum

.45 HTC powder funnel

Don Jorge

When loading 45ACP, the powder funnel/expander that Dillon sells for 45 ACP has a tendency to stick in the case.  It is really annoying and when it pops out it really shakes the shell plate causing powder to be knocked out of the case.

From the FAQ section at Starline Brass

Why is it very hard to get expander and powder funnel back out of case?

There are two situations that create this problem. The first is one seems to be associated with the Dillon powder funnel and only a couple of calibers (45 Auto and 40 S&W). The land for expanding case mouth is too long and when you begin to bell mouth the bottom of expander gets into the thicker taper of case and wedges causing it to be very hard to get back out. We have modified several by increasing radius on end and slightly shortening expanding land and this eliminated the problem completely. Call Starline and we will take care of it if you wish. One other cause can be a burr at case mouth created by the final trim operation, which grabs onto expander as it comes back up. This situation does not often appear and can be fixed by deburring case mouth or inside lubing cases.

Because the funnel / expander is larger than 1/2 you have to have access to a lathe to do this mod yourself. I happen to have access to one at work and modified mine so that it no longer sticks. I now have it marked so that I can tell it from the one I have for 45 colt.

Archived