SASS Wire Forum

Single Shot Rifles...

Double-R, that is WAY cool!!  :lol:

Only had time to barely glance at the article ~ this evening as one of my "shut-in" activities I'll be sittin' down with a martini and reading it to the end....  :)

Awright, one more here ~ the boring, oft-denigrated, sometimes sneered at* Harrington & Wesson "Buffalo Classic."  That "piece o' junk" that is much more accurate than it has a right to be and oh, so frustratingly, wins matches....  :rolleyes:

*I was at an annual match once when a fella won one in a raffle... I actually heard him grousing about it - "If I wanted a blankety-blank cheap Topper shotgun I'd-a just bought one!" 

Anyway, I likes mine.  But they do have one issue - sights.  "Recommended" sight is a basic barrel-mounted peep.  But peeps are not legal, so, the next option would be a barrel-mounted open sight.  But not conducive to accuracy.  Another would be a decent tang sight - except, the rifle has no tang.  However, some have had success screwing a tang sight directly to the stock.

I decided to go another route:  Why not a barrel-mounted Buffington rear sight?  They surely worked well on Trapdoors, and even evolved into the functionally identical 1903 Springfield sight!  So I set out to find one, back in the day  before Craigslist and such, spread the word with buddies, and hit a few gun shows, but no joy.   

And then one day I got a call from ol' Palouse.  He was at a show someplace in Washington, I believe, and had come across a Krag sight that was very similar to the Buffington; next thing I knew, there was a parcel in the mail.

So, for quite a few years now, my BC has proudly worn that Buffington copied 1901 Krag sight - and it works very well indeed.  This thing has more windage and elevation adjustment than even Bob Valdez needed!  ^_^

By the way - some might say it would not be legal, as it does have a "peep" feature.  But a small drop of black silicon fixed that.  ;)

1895053402_BuffaloClassic5.thumb.jpg.3ab70e1d2b74123a822336c59e187dcf.jpg

1600533344_BuffaloClassic4.JPG.7c8b4c5423c52e49c2368e1f61a1c3c8.JPG

You can change the Williams peep out for a blade.  Or buy the base and insert separately.

Mount it above the chamber to get a nice long sight radius. Note that you may have to change the height of the front sight.

Williams Rear Sight Blade Square Notch Aluminum Black

Williams Rear Sight Blade U Notch Aluminum Black

Williams WGOS-XL Open Sight Less Blade Fits Barrel Diameter .900" to 1.00" Aluminum Black

Williams Rear Sight Blade Square Notch Aluminum Black

Williams WGOS-XL Open Sight Less Blade Fits Barrel Diameter .900" to 1.00" Aluminum Black

That's cool, Dave, but I gots a HELL of a lot more windage AND elevation adjustment!  ^_^

Actually, I would have liked to have mounted it above the chamber.  Unfortunately, it would have required an M-16 height front sight.  As it happens, the contour just happened to fit the barrel perfectly.  And fortuitously, easier for my old eyes to focus.   hypnotized.gif   :lol:

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That's cool, Dave, but I gots a HELL of a lot more windage AND elevation adjustment!  ^_^

Actually, I would have liked to have mounted it above the chamber.  Unfortunately, it would have required an M-16 height front sight.  As it happens, the contour just happened to fit the barrel perfectly.  And fortuitously, easier for my old eyes to focus.   hypnotized.gif   :lol:

That Buffington gets WAY more style points. :)

For long range shooting the front sight doesn't have to be all that much higher.  I put a taller Lyman  hooded front sight on mine. Unfortunately I can't remember which one.  

Archived