SASS Wire Forum

Firelands-The Beginning

Lady Leigh 2-16-08

The news of Esther, Jacob and Linn returning to Firelands reached Bonnie and Caleb, and the two rejoiced in hearing that Linn had not perished afterall.

Sarah was right. Linn Keller kept true to his word.

Bonnie was tired .... more tired than usual this day. Lounging on the bed with Sarah sitting next to her. Sarah was reciting little poems that 6 year old girls enjoy making up. In spite of herself, Bonnie could not help but laugh, and she praised Sarah for her endeavors.

A short time later, Bonnie sat up, put her legs over the edge of the bed and stood.

With hands grasping at her belly, she immediately sat back down, with an intake of breath.

“Sarah?” As calmly as Bonnie could manage, “would you be a dear, and go find your Papa? Tell him I need him.”

“Sure Mama!” Sarah scrambled off the bed. She started for the door, then turned back to look at her Mama. Bonnie was holding her middle and doubled over.

With wide eyes, Sarah ran from the room, flew down the stairs, and fled from the house in search for Caleb.

The blond haired man carefully put the woman, who appeared great with child, onto the train.

“Please do not make me leave without you”, she sobbed.

“Chen-chi, we have no other choice! It is to dangerous here.”

“But .... the baby! It will be here soon!”

The man placed the palm of his hand gently upon the face of Chen-chi. As the Lord was his witness, he loved this woman with all of his heart and soul, “All the more reason to get you to safety.”

“Papa! Papa!” Sarah ran down the street. Tilly hearing the young girls frantic cries, ran out of the door of the building where her husband practiced law.

“Sarah?” Tilly called as she ran toward the girl. “What is it Sarah?!”

“It’s Mama! I have to find Papa!” Michael came out then, too. “Tilly run to Bonnie!” Michael yelled, and Tilly hitched up her skirts and took off. With a baby in his arms and Sarah hanging onto his hand they went together in search of Caleb.

“Please!” Chen-chi pleaded again.

He handed her an envelope, and with an urgency in his voice, “You MUST give this to Bonnie Rosenthal, Chen-chi! She and her husband Caleb will know what to do! They will help you! I promise you that!”

Tilly opened the door, “Bonnie? Bonnie! Where are you?”

Tilly heard sobs from up the stairs, and taking two steps at a time she ascended, and followed the sound she heard to Bonnie and Caleb’s room. She entered seeing Bonnie laying on her side with arms protecting her unborn child and her knees were drawn up as if attempting an extra measure of support to her swollen middle.

“Tilly! Oh Tilly!”

“Bonnie .... hush now. Michael and Sarah will find Caleb!” And then Tilly sat on the bed holding Bonnie’s head in her lap.

“Tilly! It’s to soon!”

“Hush now .... hush .....” Tilly wiped the tears from her friends face and prayed, “Please hurry Caleb! Please Lord! Let all be well!”

Moments later, Caleb ran into the house calling out Bonnies name much like Tilly had just done herself.

“Up here, Caleb,” Tilly called.

The train whistle was blowing and seeing that Chen-chi was comfortably set in the private car, he turned to leave. Chen-chi was openly crying at this point, and the man’s heart was breaking. He turned, and went down the short corridor and turned to leave the train.

“Hey you! You there!” The man turned his body and saw three other men approaching. “Dear God no”, he thought. His eyes scanned the area for where he could make his escape. There was no place to go without endangering passerby’s in the process.

Gun shots rang out as the train pulled away.

The man crumpled to his knees as the train picked up momentum.

Chen-chi was looking out the window, her face and wide eyes hidden behind the huge bonnet, and saw the man lay motionless on the ground, blood was everywhere, “Oh James! No! James ..... no!”

Caleb entered the room in time to see hear Bonnie cry out ..... and then he saw the blood.

Lady Leigh 2-16-08

Shuffle shuffle ..... sweep.

Shuffle shuffle ..... sweep

Bill and Mac were rasing more dust on the Marchantiales front porch than they were in getting it off.

Bill raised his head as he heard the cries of his little friend. Then he noticed the lawyer who was talking to her Papa. Who in turn tore down the street in the direction of his home.

The lawyer and Sarah turned toward the Merchantile, and Mac laid his broom against the outside wall. Maude exited the building then, and with an astuteness that most women had, she re-entered the store for her shawl.

Sarah was crying and fairly hysterical, so Maude took her from Michael Moulton, and went toward the Silver Jewel. Bill and Mac were in tow. As Maude turned around and saw that they were there, she looked at hen questioningly, “Don’t get yerself all worked up now, Maude. The stores shut up and locked,” Bill informed her. Sarah let go of Maude’s hand and ran to Bil and Mac. How they didn’t fall over was anyone’s guess.

“Mr. Bill, Mr Mac .... Mama’s feeling really awful!” Sarah cried.

Duzy descended the staircase eyeing the spectacle before her, Maude wispered a few words into Duzy’s ear, and the two women left Sarah in the arms of Bill and Mac, and went in search for Dr. Flint at the newly built hospital.

Lady Leigh 2-16-08

Everything was a blur for Bonnie. She didn’t know who brought the wagon, and though she knew she was in Caleb’s arms, she didn’t recall who else was at hand. She vaguely remembered hearing Tilly’s voice, but thought she heard concern in her words while speaking to ..... “who was she speaking to?” Bonnie thought.

The pains were unbearable. It felt like her very life was escaping her with each and every one.

“Was that Dr. Flint who just walked by?” Bonnie thought again. Then she no longer felt Caleb’s strong arms around her, but a bed underneath her instead.

She heard more murmurings. She heard Caleb’s voice, “Is that concern, I hear? .... dear God .... my baby!”

Dr. Flint was talking to Caleb, “Yes, Caleb, this is early, and I won’t begin to tell it is Ok, either. If my suspicions are correct, Bonnie has more than one baby at stake here.”

“What?” Caleb questioned with a panicked voice.

“Well, either that, or Bonnie is further along than she thinks.”

Dr. Flint put his hand on Caleb’s shoulder, “Let me go and check her, I’ll be out with updated news as soon as I can.” And with that, the young doctor left Caleb standing in the middle of the
room .... scared.

Linn Keller 2-16-08

Esther adjusted the folded pad under my collar, and worked my neck tie just a little tighter. It served to hold the bandage against my seep.
She picked up the hair brush and gave my hair another stroke or two, turned her head this way and that, and then nodded, satisfied.
"Well?" I smiled. "Do I pass muster?"
Esther raised up on her tip-toes and kissed me, her eyes dancing merrily in the morning light. "Yes, Mr. Keller, you do."
Jacob was up and dressed and ready to go, and His Honor was still brushing off his suit coat. I have no idea what he was brushing off it, for as usual the broadcloth was spotless and free from even the suggestion of a stray thread or a fleck of lint, but the old man had a military habit of neatness. Even his mustache had not a hair out of place.
Unlike my own, I thought as Esther waxed it and twisted it into a passable handlebar.
I lifted my head and listened.
The Lady Esther's whistle was saluting the town, and we felt the air brakes start to chunk down on the cars.
"It'll feel good to be home, sir," Jacob said, looking out the window, rifle in one hand and his hat in the other.
Esther and I both looked at him and then looked at each other.
He was looking out the window with an expression we'd seen before, but never on his young face, and I don't know about Esther, but I know I was wondering who he was looking for.
Sure enough, someone was standing on the depot, and Jacob's grin would have lit up a dark room.
Of a sudden he straightened, with a guilty expression, and looked at the coffin, and the trunks, and at us.
I gestured him over, put my arm around his shoulders.
"Go to her," I said quietly. "I don't have to tell you to be a gentleman."
"No, sir," he said.
"Don't worry. We'll take care of all this." I waved at the trunks.
"But, sir... your neck, you shouldn't be lifting --"
I laughed, gently, for he was right, my neck still wasn't right, and I didn't want to tear loose any of the healin' I'd done in the past few days.
I winked, and drew Esther close against my side.
"Thank you, sir," Jacob breathed, and the train shivered to as gentle a stop as could be managed, and Jacob's boots banged on the steps and he was out the door.
We couldn't resist.
We looked out the window.
Jacob's hat had had gone on his head the moment he crossed the threshold, but as he stood in front of the young lady who waited nervously on the depot platform, he removed it, slowly, and we could see her bite her bottom lip, and lower her eyes.
Esther's arm tightened around my waist as they both wrapped their arms around one another.
His Honor the Judge clapped a hand on my shoulder. "Sheriff, he'll do fine," he said with cheerful authority. "Now let's see about getting some of this clutter out of my private car! A coffin just doesn't add to a cheery atmosphere, now does it?"
His eyes, too, were shining with delight.
Looks like a good morning to come home, I thought.

Lady Leigh 2-16-08

Dr. Flint came back out to Caleb, what seemed like an eternity later. Caleb immediately stood from the wooden chair he was sitting on.

“Caleb,” Dr Flint began, “I have been able to stop the bleeding, but the contractions continue. I also want to tell you my earlier concern is correct. I do detect two heartbeats.”

“Oh dear God ....” Caleb managed to say.

“Now it is common, Caleb, for a woman to go into labor early when carrying twins, with 4 to 6 weeks not being uncommon. By what I can tell, these babies are at least 6 to 8 weeks early.” He paused for this to sink into Caleb. He then continued, “Ideally, I would like the contractions to stop. With bed rest, we could maybe postpone their births for a time. I’s like it to be another 4 weeks worth of time.”

Caleb sat back down, and looked up at the doctor, “What if Bonnie has the baby .... babies now?”

“They will be small, Caleb. Not all of the inner developing has had a chance to be complete. The success rate for a single child has better odds than twins. Twins are smaller, generally than a single baby. But, Caleb, I can not promise they will live .... and there is Bonnie to consider, too”

“Bonnie? Dear God, don’t tell me I’ll loose Bonnie too!”

“All I am saying, Caleb, is I would like there to be more time.” He paused once again, then sat in the chair next to Caleb. There is a measure of hope, but I don’t know how susseccful it is, but anything is better than nothing.”

“What are you saying Dr, Flint?” Caleb questioned.

“Mind you, I ahve only recently read of this, and unfortunately, we do not have one, and a may not be readily available for some time yet, but perhaps we can make one.”

“What? Make what?”

“An incubator. There is an obstetrician in Paris, France, Tarnier is his last name. With the help of another man, Bodin, they constructed an incubator .... much like the ones chicken farmers use. It is made of wood and is heated by saucepans of hot water placed underneath it. It may work .... depending .....”

Caleb understood what Dr. Flint was telling him ..... he understood the gravity of the entire situation. He knew a wooden box used as an incubator was a far better thing than one used for a coffin.

“May I go to her? Just for a moment, Dr. Flint?”

The doctor nodded and the two men got up and went into the room Bonnie was in.

Pale, Bonnie laid on the bed. Her fists were balled up tight. Susan stood next to her with wash rag in had, mopping at Bonnies face. A calmness surrounded Bonnie then, and her eyes opened and the first thing she saw was Caleb.

Quietly she said, “I am so sorry, Caleb! I don’t think I can stop this .....” and she wept.

Duzy Wales 2-16-08

"Bonnie, I am here, can you hear me? Liston to me....you will be fine...stay with me....we will get through this....you can do it! Caleb will be here! You wait and see!" Duzy kept the encouraging words flowing.....begging her friend to believe...."

"Damn, why can't I see these things???" Duzy begged of herself, feeling so helpless....she knew she had to take more control over her visions and dreams....

And then Caleb was there....

Duzy leaned back against Jake, letting him wrap his arms around her, holding her close....he knew she was scared...."listen to your own words, Darlin'!" Jake said as he held her tightly against him....trying to share their strengths....like electricity running through each of them and both experiencing it through each other....and Duzy knew she would need to focus....and that he was the one who could help her....

And then U.S. Marshall Kid Sopris came to her mind, along with his various aliases, and she wondered why he hadn't told her goodbye before he had left for San Fransisco....would he be back for the weddings...would she ever see him again....and then she knew he would keep her posted on the threats on her life; and, God help the man who had threatened her, and no doubt the two he was looking for! Would they make it to San Francisco?

Linn Keller 2-16-08

We were still laughing, a little; kind hands had helped us load the trunks, and the coffin, into the waiting freight wagon, and a handy quilt covered the long box, and we rattled the little distance to our house.
Our house, I thought.
Our home!
We had the coffin placed in the basement, and I joked with the fellows that I'd gotten it for a good price, and thought to store it against future need: hopefully, I said, about fifty years in the future!
We laughed at that one and I allowed to buy them a cold one at the Jewel, next I saw them, and they were happy with that, and would not take a cent for their labor.
Jacob rode back into town with them, as he wanted to bring out his Ap and Rose o' the Mornin', and get them stabled proper in our own barn, and I said go ahead, and he parked his rifle in the corner, and put his badge on the back side of his lapel, and I think he had more on his mind than just fetching up the horses, for his grin was broad as a Texas ranch when he jumped in the wagon with the fellows.
Esther and I stood on the front porch with our arms around one another, and of a sudden I leaned down and scooped her up, and held her in my arms, one arm just under her shoulder blades, the other behind her knees, and I rolled her up in my arms and kissed her, and she ran her arms around my neck and returned the favor.
When I come up for air I said, "Mrs. Keller, would you do me the honor of opening the door? My hands are full."
"Mr. Keller," Esther said with that impish smile I love so well, "I will do that, but if you hurt that neck again I will take a frying pan to you!"
So saying, she released one hand and turned the knob on the door, and I shoved it open with my booted foot, and I carried my bride across the threshold.
I carried Esther into our house, and she looked around -- I mean she really looked around -- and her arms tightened a little and she began to giggle, and I carried her up the stairs, as a man ought, and Esther opened the bedroom door knob, and I pushed it open as I had the front door.
Esther's eyes were shining when I laid her down on our bed, the bed I'd not even slept in, the bed I was saving for us -- for us! -- and Esther's eyes widened.
I straightened. I heard it too.
Hoofbeats, coming at a gallop. Trace-chains, and the sound of the freight wagon, run faster than it should be.
I was downstairs at a run, Esther right behind me, and we'd not hit the last step before Jacob was thundering into the house, his eyes big and his face pale.
"Ma'am -- you'd best come--" he stammered.
"Jacob, what is it?" Esther said, pointing toward her discarded coat.
"It's Bonnie, ma'am. She's in the hospital, ma'am, and somethin' is bad wrong!"

Lady Leigh 2-17-08

“I am going to give Bonnie small doses of Chloroform. My hope is that it will make her calm, and perhaps ease the labor to stop, but if nothing else, it will aide in a gentle birthing.”

“I understand Doctor.” Susan replied.

Dr, Flint looked to Jake, “I need a wooden box.” he visually stretched his hands for a size.

Duzy’s eyes went wide, “No, Dr. Flint!”

“Not for a casket, Duzy .... God willing, not for a casket, but for an incubator for if the babies come. We need to be prepared to keep them alive.”

Jake turned and left the building. Soon after, Esther and Linn walked in. Esther continued her walk to the room Bonnie was in, and Linn stood with Caleb.

Esther approached Bonnie just as Dr. Flint was putting the Chloroform onto the cloth, “Child.”

Bonnies eyes opened and registered with Esther’s eyes, “Esther?”

“I’m here, child”, Esther placed one hand on Bonnies middle, and the other on her hand, “We will do everything we can, Bonnie, but you must remain strong .... do you hear me, Bonnie?”

“I hear you .... there are two babies, Esther. What are the chances?”

Esther had not heard this news, and an alarmed face expression graced her face for a moment, then it calmed, “Child .... Dr. Flint is a fine physician. Between he and God, he will do his absolute best.” After saying that the cloth was placed over Bonnies nose.

Lady Leigh 2-17-08

Bill and Mac ushered Sarah to a table at the Silver Jewel and sat her down, while each man scooted a chair close on her two sides. She was quiet .... then after several minutes, “I made my Mama laugh to hard ..... it’s my fault ....”

“What kinda talk is that?” Bill asked.

“I made Mama laugh with my poems, Mr. Bill. She laughed really hard, and then her belly started to hurt.”

Bill reached his arm around Sarah, and placed his gnarled fingers gently around her shoulder, “Why Sarah! Haven’t ya heard laughter is Gods best medicine?”

She looked up to Bill, “No ....”

Mac continued then, “Why sure it tis! Just think how your dear Mama would be feelin ifin she didn’t laugh!”

Chen-chi settled back into the bench seat within the private compartment of the train. She looked down at the clothing she was wearing and remembered, “Chen-chi, no one will bother with you if they think you are in mourning. In the three to four days it takes you to get to Firelands, you will be left alone. But in case you are approached, do not look up, make sure the
veil is over your face if you do. Talk very quietly if you must, and remember to speak your words as clearly as you can if you do speak.”

Mourning attire ...... tears clouded her eyes once again, and she couldn’t help but think the clothing she was wearing was an omen of what was to come ..... Chen-chi wept bitterly.

Lady Leigh 2-17-08

People were screaming and running everywhere. The men who did the shooting vanished leaving behind another man laying motionless on the sidewalk.

Another man .... a man dressed entirely in black approached the lifeless man. He knelt and whispered, “I am sorry, James, I could not get here in time to help you. I do promise you, however, your death will not be in vain. Our work will continue. I’ll go to Chen-chi as soon as I am able, and I’ll direct others to Firelands immediately.”

He got up to walk away, but not until he left the red rose laying upon James’ back.

Lady Leigh 2-17-08

Jake came back a short while later with the box. He knew a little about incubators used for chicken eggs, and as he thought about what Dr. Flint was suggesting, he also brought a fireplace grate for the box to sit on. Then there should be room underneath for the pans of water.

He quietly knocked on the door were Bonnie was behind, and Susan opened the door and took the items he brought. There was no need to question her about Bonnie ... he didn’t miss the grim face expression. “Lord!” he thought, “would my Duzy go through anything like this one day?” He shook his head and prayed not.

He turned to see Caleb and Linn sitting, and joined them. Linn glanced his way with the same grim facial expression. The place felt like a tomb.

The three men heard an agonized moan ..... Caleb looked up toward the door. Another moan, then another .... Caleb stood, and ran the palmsof his hands along side his head, as was a habit of his when deep in thought, frustrated ..... scared. Linn wanted to bring comfort to this man, but how does one really go about doing it? Jake, too, wished there was something he could say or do.

Susan came running out of the door, but did not stop to speak. Moments later, she came back with a large kettle, and two pans under her arm. Linn raced to the door to open it for her, but still nothing was said.

Caleb stood in one spot as if a statue .... not a muscle twitched .....

Ages later, at least that is what it felt like, Dr. Flint opened the door and exited.

Six pairs of eyes were on the man, but it was Caleb who spoke first. “Bonnie? The babies?”

“Bonnie will be just fine, Caleb .... with rest she will recover beautifully.” Then he paused.

“And?” Caleb questioned.

“Bonnie gave birth to a male and a female child, Caleb ..... “ Dr. Flint cleared his voice and continued, “The babies are so small, Caleb .... your son did not make it past 5 minutes outside the womb.”

Tears were escaping from Caleb’s eyes, “But the other?”

“Slightly bigger than the boy .... appears stronger, too. I don’t have the answer totally to this, but female babies seem to be stronger than the males in situations like this ..... studies show females developing faster than the males do in the womb .... but she lives, Caleb. I must stress to you the
importance of the days that follow your little daughter! There are no guarantees to her welfare at this stage”

Caleb looked toward the door, “I Understand .... Please? May I”, and he pointed toward the door.

“In a moment, Caleb. Let me tell you a few things first. Bonnie will be sleeping, and I want her to stay that way. Your daughter is VERY small, being not much more than 4 pounds, which is a good weight, as far as premature babies go. She is very red. Her skin is very wrinkled, and there
is still a lot of hair on her body, as is normal for this age in gestation. She may not be much to look at, I guess is what I am trying to say, which I know may sound heartless ....”

“It doesn’t matter,” Caleb said, “I would just very much like to go in .... Does Bonnie know about our son?”

“Yes ... she knows,” was all the doctor had time to say, because Caleb was reaching for the door knob.

Linn Keller 2-17-08

Dr. Greenlees looked around the corner and crooked a finger.
Jake and I both stood and headed his way.
His hands were still damp from having just washed; he'd assisted Dr. Flint, but recognized at this point that Bonnie had more need of husband and family than a second physician, so with a nod to Dr. Flint, had silently taken his leave of the situation.
We went into the examination room. Dr. Greenlees had lit the acetylene examination light, and gestured me to a stool in its absolutely white glare; he loosened my neck tie and I removed my coat and collar and unbuttoned my shirt.
Dr. John was always a long winded sort. If I could coax two words out of the man at one time I was doing good. True to form he looked wordlessly at the wound on my neck, still angry and red and tender, and not sewed up any too pretty.
He frowned.
Scowling at Jake, he pointed to a low cabinet.
Jake, puzzled, walked over and opened the cabinet door.
A pint bottle of water clear liquid stood on the shelf just inside the door.
He picked it up, looked at Dr. Greenlees, who motioned him closer.
Dr. Greenlees removed the cork, handed the bottle to me.
"Anesthetic."
I sniffed and blinked and took a deep breath, and then drank several long swallows.
A kerosine lamp or a round file would have been kinder to my innards.
I handed it back to Doc and he offered Jake a tilt.
Jake took a tilt not much smaller than mine.
Doc dampened a cloth with what was left, and very carefully swabbed my neck, and then removed an absolutely pure white towel from a shining stainless steel tray, revealing several surgical tools that really didn't strike my fancy.
I set my teeth and Doc put a cloth under my neck and looked at Jake.
"Stand behind him and hold this," he said, and I about fell over.
Six words in a row.
Doc was right chatty, I thought, just before his first delicate exploration of my healing neck.
Jake would describe, some time later, how sure and certain the good Doctor's hands were as he re-opened the wound, working with shining steel clamps and a very sharp, very small blade, and a curved needle and some kind of black thread; we laughed together later as he told me how I got progressively more and more pale, though with him standing behind me the only thing he could see was the back of my hands and the top of my head.
Maybe he was looking at my scalp. My hair is starting to thin out some.
Anyway by the time Doc was done I hadn't bled too much, and he'd changed out that bib a few times, and told me if I soak my shirt in salt water it would get out the blood stains, for a little bit had soaked through the towel as he worked, but not much.
He handed me a lady's hand mirror when he was done and I took a look at his work, and it looked way better than the ugly puckered thing that Yankee back on the river had done. I reckon the fellow had a weak stomach or figured he was sewing on a corpse, and Doc admitted later I survived in spite of the man's work rather than thanks to it.
He told me I would have to make a point of turning my head slowly and carefully a little more each day so the neck would not stiffen up and so the blood vessel he had to free up wouldn't grow scar tissue and take hold of surrounding meat in my neck. I think he called it "adhesions" or some fancy word of the kind.
When he was done Jake and I split the last of that pint of anesthetic, and glad I was to have it.

Linn Keller 2-18-08

Caleb stepped out of the shining, clean, sterile, businesslike delivery room into the shining, clean, sterile, businesslike waiting room, and turned to a nearby spitoon, and went to his knees, and emptied his stomach.
I'd just gotten my shirt and collar back on, my tie knotted and was buttoning my last coat button when Jake and I heard him.
Dr. Greenlees handed me a damp towel and gave me a solemn nod, with that ornery wink of his, and turned to wash his hands and arrange the used instruments in a pan of something soapy and disinfectant.
Jake and I went to our friend.
I went to one knee beside him and handed him the wet-and-wrung-out towel, and Caleb nodded, his face a ghastly shade of pale and patchy purple, and he wiped his mouth, and folded the towel and wiped the rest of his face, and the back of his neck.
The delivery room door opened and Nurse Susan came clucking out, fussing with him like a mother hen; she, too, had a damp towel, and a tin cup of water, and she bade him rinse out his mouth, and take a drink of nice, cool water, and he did, and she delicately, carefully wiped off his face, and his neck, and the back of his neck.
With the three of us down on our prayer bones we lacked only Parson Belden to hold a revival.
"You feel up to standin'?" I asked quietly, and Caleb nodded and cleared his throat; with my hand under his one arm and Nurse Susan's under his other, the three of us got him to his feet, and poor old Jake, bless him, wanted to help but knew he'd only be in the way, so he stood back with almost a sorrowful look about him.
We got Caleb set down, and Nurse Susan disappeared with the nearly-full spitoon, and Jake discreetly brought the other one over, just in case.
We set down, one on either side of him, and our hands were on his shoulders.
Sometimes a hand on the shoulder says more than a gifted orator, and we hoped that was the case, as neither of us could think of anything really brilliant, uplifting or supportive to say.
Finally I hazarded a question:
"Bonnie?"
Caleb lowered his face in his big hands and groaned, a sound of utter misery that rose like smoke from his shoe soles and echoed distantly out the cavern of misery his throat had become.
Jake and I traded looks of alarm, and for a moment I wondered how difficult it would be to remove the Masonic insignia from my shiny new coffin I'd tucked away against some future time.
Finally Caleb raised his head and stared sightlessly across the room.
"Twins," he husked. "She had twins, a boy and a girl, but the boy ..."
He lowered his head in his hands again and shook his head.
"Bonnie?" I asked, gently this time, and Caleb shuddered with the effort of a deep breath, and sat up straight, and so did we.
"She's alive," he said. "I couldn't ... if she'd died I'd ...."
Jake nodded. "Yeah," he said in a raspy whisper, his own eyes seeing something distant.
The polished oak door opened and Esther came out, the picture of queenly dignity: if ever there was a picture of strength in adversity, it was her, I thought, for her chin was up, her face was set and she moved with a confident step.
We were all three on our feet.
Esther flowed toward us with the grace of royalty. Her face showed a strength I'd known was there, but had never really seen until now, and her eyes were understanding, and gentle.
"Caleb," she said, and her voice was as a cool ungent on a fresh scald, "Bonnie is awake, and she asks for you." Esther took Caleb's arm, and steered him toward the door, and drew it open for him.

Duzy Wales 2-18-08

Duzy was standing with Jake when she first saw Aunt Esther and Uncle Linn, and she felt such joy and warmth, she was overwhelmed for a moment, and she stood speechless, tears coming to her eyes, and then she looked into her Aunt’s eyes and ran to her, as Aunt Esther comforted her and Duzy held her like she could never let go….and then she thought of Uncle Linn and looked into his handsome and smiling face. The tears started flowing as he reached his strong arms out to her, much like her Papa did, and she felt safe and somehow stronger in his arms.

“I am sorry….it’s just that I am so happy to see you and yet I am so worried about Bonnie and the babies!” Duzy apologized for her public show of emotion as she looked around at the worried faces. She could only imagine the torment Caleb was feeling as she watched the different emotions cross his face…...worry, fear, hope....?

Now, they had been told that Bonnie had lost their son and the wait began to see if their daughter would live.....and Bonnie.....

“Don’t you worry child,” Aunt Esther said encouragingly. “Bonnie is strong and Dr. Flint is a wonderful doctor! We must trust in God now, Duzy.”

Duzy Wales 2-18-08

United States Marshall Sopris watched his prisoner from under his hat brim, pretending to get a little sleep on the long ride. Having already been warned that someone may try to take the weasel from the train, Sopris wasn’t taking any chances. In fact, he was hoping the man would make any move that would allow him to shoot him on the spot. This was the type he detested most…… men who would prey on women and children! Cowards! He thought of Duzy and how he had tried to intimidate her. Over his dead body, he thought, as the young lady in question came to his mind. God, she was a beautiful and enticing woman! He wondered what would have happened if he had never left Firelands the first time…..would things be different. He remembered the way she had looked at him that first day, scanning his body from his boots to his eyes! There had been a connection, that neither of them could deny…..but what was it? Had they lived together in another lifetime or possibly in the future….

“Get your mind back to business!” Kid admonished himself as two men entered the train, one that he recognized immediately…..

When the two men approached Kid, he greeted them both with Colt in hand.."Greetings Boy's, I'll have those pistols, till we debark. And do yourself
a favor, sit three rows in front of me. You'll live longer!"

Lady Leigh 2-18-08

Caleb immediately went to Bonnie. Words were not shared right away .... the look between the two spoke millions.

Caleb glanced at the wooden box, were nestled in blankets, and warmed with pans of hot water, where their daughter lay ... so far, so good.

Bonnie knew Caleb’s fear as it was her own as well. With a quavering voice, “Caleb, I’m afraid .....”

He sat down next to her on the bed, grasping her hands, gazing into her eyes, “Praying is a mighty power, love .... and praying is what we’ll be doing.”

Moments later, “Caleb .... our son ......”

“I will be making arrangement with the Minister, Bonnie .....” Silence .... then more tears ... then more prayers.

He continued, “I suppose we should talk about a name for him. What name should we give him Bonnie?”

She and Caleb had always thought they should name their son after her father and brother, but the order of which was not yet determined, then she said, “I don’t know why exactly, but I think James’ name should come first. Tell the Reverend James Angus, Caleb.”

“And Pauline Margaret for our daughter?”

“Yes, Caleb .... Polly. Mama would be pleased .... don’t you think?” Bonnie began to cry again, “Caleb! We can’t loose this one too! We just can’t!”

Nurse Susan came in ,knowing she would be interrupting, but it was a necessary interruption, “It will not be an easy thing to accomplish, Bonnie, but we must see to it your daughter is feed. Premature babies will not take to it easily, but if this precious gift from God is to live, then regular feedings need to be managed. If you will excuse for the time being, Caleb, I believe now is the time to start.”

“Of course,” he replied, “I need to send a couple of wires, and ..... stop at the church ....” He leaned over and brushed his lips, first on Bonnie’s forehead, then cheek, then finally her mouth. Then he whispered in her ear, “I love you Bonnie Rosenthal, and from the bottom of my heart, I thank you for Polly. I also need to see to Sarah .... it is not going to be easy to tell her, nor do I think she'll understand.”

Bonnie looked over to Susan, "May Sarah come here a bit later, Susan? I think this is something Caleb and I should to talk Sarah about. Please?"

Nurse Susan nodded, "But Caleb, give it an hour or more, ok?"

He nodded then left the room.

Susan reached into the wooden box and lifted out the tiniest bundle Bonnie could have imagined. Bonnie prepared herself to nurse, and prayed for the life of Pauline "Polly" Margaret Rosenthal.

Lady Leigh 2-18-08

The wires were sent back to Illinois and the Reverend had been spoken to ... Tomorrow morning would be the burial service for James Angus Rosenthal. Bonnie would not be able to attend, and Caleb thought of the injustice of that, but what was a person to do?

Caleb was instructed that Sarah was with Bill, Mac and Maude, so he trudged over to the Mercantile. With heavy steps he approached the business with a heavy heart. It was Mac who saw Caleb first, “Ya must be looin fer Sarah?”

“Yes ....”

“She’s in back with Bill and Maude. Somethin about cookies to be made. Mr Rosenthal? ..... I couldn’t be sorrier ....”

“Thank you, Sir .... thank you.” Then Caleb went to retrieve his daughter.

Caleb did his best to tell Sarah, at least a little bit. Her new little sister was born, but very small, was all he could manage. Sarah looked up at him questioningly, but didn’t say anything.

They entered the small hospital, and then into Bonnie and the baby’s room. Bonnie was on the bed with her back against pillows and the headboard, and Sarah walked quickly to her Mama. She gently climbed up to sit next to Bonnie and they promptly gave each other a hug while Caleb settled himself on the bed on the other side of Bonnie.

Together, Bonnie and Caleb told Sarah about how, “no, sweet thing, making Mama laugh was not your fault for an early delivery!” along with "yes, laughter is good medicine," and “yes, baby James was playing with the angels,” and “No, Mama has to stay here for a little while”, to “You will be the big girl of the house until Mama and Polly can come home.”

“Well, Mama! I’d like to meet Polly!” Sarah informed. Caleb stood from the bed while Sarah wondered over to him. He picked her up, and together they looked into the wooden box. With shaking fingers, Caleb moved the blankets away from the sleeping baby so Sarah could see.

Creases immediately formed between her eyes. She looked up to her Papa, then over to her Mama, then back again to the baby. She wrinkled her nose, cocked her head and then she began to giggle. Caleb looked at her alarmed, “Sarah?”

“Oh Papa! She looks like Twain Dawg when he was a tiny puppy only there’s more red in with the brown!”

Oh, how rich life is through the eyes of a child! Despite the sorrow, there was a brief moment of joy .... and a chuckle.

Linn Keller 2-18-08

The Irish Brigade, as it always did, met misfortune with stoicism and joy with rejoicing.
"TO POLLY!" Sean roared, and a half-dozen glasses of Kentucky were raised, to gleam and sparkle in amber reflections, before searing down half a dozen red-shirted throats.
Cradling an infant of her own, Daisy raised a smaller glass of the same beverage and said gently, "To a pure little soul, unspoiled by the wicked ways of this world," and glasses were refilled and hoist and drained again.
"To me own dear wife and child!" Sean laughed, and tossed back his drink, thumped the glass heavily to the polished bar-top and seized up his dear Daisy, and her precious bundle, and spun her around as he always did; and Daisy, with a shriek and a giggle, kissed the wild Irishman, and their son, sandwiched between his Mama's bosom and his Papa's scratchy red woolen shirt, bundled and wrapped against the winter's cold, wrinkled up his face, and yawned, and cuddled back down in his blankets, and never woke up.

Linn Keller 2-19-08

Jacob shivered in the winter wind, and snow blew down his collar and up into his hair as the good Reverend spoke the solemn words over the tiny box.
Miss Messman stood beside him, shivering, and Jacob wished mightily he had another coat; finally he began unbuttoning his own, and shrugged out of it, and spun it around her, and she drew it tight and whispered a thank-you that was whipped away from her lips by a sudden gust of wind.
The Sheriff and Esther unobtrusively moved over behind their son, and eased up close to the young couple; Jacob, surprised, glanced around, and his father winked at him, and Jacob nodded, shivering a little more but grateful for the windbreak.
He looked over at another grave, level now, settled with time; a small bunch of long-dead flowers were half-buried in the fresh snow, and Jacob remembered another girl, and her laughter, and he glanced over at the young woman beside him.
Will you die too? he thought in an unguarded moment, and then thought of his father, near death -- too near! -- twice now, and of his own injury, gained in defense of his home, his town.
He blinked against a sudden stinging in his eyes -- daggone wind! he thought, and looked around, no longer content to contemplate a small box, or the preacher's words.
Caleb stood beside the Reverend Belden, looking lost without Bonnie beside him: his thoughts were not here, Jacob knew, looking at the man's eyes.
Duzy was with Bonnie, he remembered: she could not bear to be away from her dear friend in this terrible moment, and he'd half-heard the discussion between Esther and the two women: Esther finally, reluctantly agreed to go to the graveyard, Bonnie assuring her it would be all right, and Jacob's quick ear heard the little mouse-squeak of her premature infant's cry, and he'd quit listening and turned away.
The tiny box was lowered into the hole, out of sight, and dirt, frozen dirt, was shoveled in; there were a surprising number of folks here, Jacob thought, and they all moved in around Caleb, and there was a murmur of voices, and hands on his shoulders, and handshakes, and solemn nods.
Miss Messman slipped his coat back around his shoulders. "Thank you," she whispered. "That was very kind."
Jacob thrust his arms into the coat-sleeves and forced a smile. "You're welcome."
The Sheriff's hand was on Jacob's shoulder, and his expression was approving. "Let's speak to Caleb, and then get in where it's warm," he said gently, looking from Jacob to Miss Messman, and Jacob nodded.
"Some nice hot tea would be lovely," Esther agreed, and they moved up to speak the words that are always spoken at funerals.
Caleb would remark later that he never remembered the words spoken to him that cold winter's day, but he would never forget that so many people cared to speak them.

Duzy Wales 2-19-08

Bonnie was nursing Polly when Duzy knocked lightly on the door. She didn’t want to wake her, but then she thought she probably couldn’t sleep anyway. The sight of the tiny baby brought a lump to Duzy’s throat, thinking how small, helpless and precious…..and then thinking of her brother who was being put to rest for all time today, except in the hearts of those few who had known him for such a short time.

Bonnie looked up and Duzy could see the gut wrenching pain in her friends eyes and wondered how any parent could stand the loss of a child. Duzy felt like she was choking herself….with a pain so deep, she could only imagine what Bonnie was feeling. What could she say? Nothing….as words didn’t matter at a time like this…..only the comfort of having a friend close by could help at all.

Nurse Susan took Polly from Bonnie’s arms, saying, “She is eating well, that is a good sign!" Laying her gently in the box, Susan said in almost a whisper, "I will be back to check on you in a few minutes, Bonnie," and Duzy could see her eyes mist as she walked out of the room.

Duzy walked to the bedside and pulled her chair close enough to reach out and took Bonnie’s hand in hers. “Oh Duzy, how can I stand this, how can I not be there?”

“Bonnie, Dear, you are with him in your mind and heart, but Polly needs you now and you need to take care of yourself for your daughters and Caleb and all of us who love you.”

And then the tears came, as they held each other tightly, both crying until they were out of tears for the moment…..each of them knowing there would be many more to come in the days and even years to come. They clung to each other…..trying to give strength and receive strength. They hadn’t known each other that long…..but it was as if it had been a lifetime, as if they had known each other forever, from the very first time they had looked into each other eyes. Duzy thanked God for her friend, thankful that she had lived, and that little Polly was alive, and for so many other blessings, as they continued to hold each other without saying another word.

Linn Keller 2-19-08

The ladies were quite at home with their tea, and the lace tablecloth, and delicate conversation.
Jacob shifted in his seat and stared into the auburn depths of his teacup.
His father stirred a dollop of honey into his own, and leaned back, his gaze trailing along the trim strip where ceiling met wall.
Jacob's eyes swept back and forth as he thought, and Esther raised a finger, smiling; Miss Messman looked at her, then followed her amused gaze to father, then son, and the ladies shared a knowing smile.
Esther let the silence grow long in the quiet of their parlor, then delicately cleared her throat and said gently, "If you two think any harder, your brains will begin to smoke," and both Jacob and the Sheriff blinked, and looked at her, and chuckled.
"I'm sorry, my dear, what was the question again?" the Sheriff asked innocently, and Jacob took a drink of his cooled tea to cover his own inattention.
"You were a hundred miles away," Esther said, amused.
"Yes, ma'am, I was," the Sheriff agreed, and tucked his spoon in beside the teacup. "Jacob, walk with me."
The ladies watched as their men shrugged into coats and clapped hats on their heads, and went out the front door. Miss Messman looked at Esther, puzzled.
"Are they always so ... talkative?" she asked hesitantly.
Esther laughed quietly. "Men are such creatures of habit," she said. "When something is bothering them they journey far away, in their minds, and we poor women have the Devil's own time dragging them back." She looked at the closed door, and saw big flakes of snow blowing past the window.
"Something is bothering them both, and I don't think it has to do with the funeral."
"Jacob looked so lost," Miss Messman murmured. "He was very much the gentleman, though. He gave me his coat when he saw me shivering."
Esther smiled. "He gets that from his father. Linn was starting to unbutton his own coat when Jacob took his off." She remembered the look of pride on her husband's face when he saw what Jacob was doing, and quietly re-fastened his own coat.
Miss Messman's eyes dropped to her teacup. "I didn't intend to be a bother," she said softly.
Esther leaned over and laid fingertips on the back of Annette's hand. "There are times, my dear," she said, "when men are greatly rewarded by being able to do for their ladies. You gave him the opportunity to be a gentleman, and in that moment, his true nature showed itself."
Annette nodded.
"I think the stove may be getting low," Esther said briskly, and stood with the grace of a woman a decade her junior. "Bless Jacob for filling the woodbox!"
So saying, Esther fed another couple chunks into the stove.

Duzy Wales 2-19-08

The two arrivals were immediately recognizable to Kid. Though both were dressed in everyday ranch clothes, Mr. Wong and his associate Chester Morris, who he recognized as the murderer who shot James, were heavily armed and clanked a bit when they walked.

Both conspirators, involved heavily in the Tong Wars of San Francisco and the illegal trading of Chinese Immigrants, thought perhaps that their identities were not known. But they underestimated their prey.

It would be dark soon and Kid suspected that the men would make a move in the still of darkness, that's how they worked.

It was dark, when Kid shoved a rag in Lester's Throat and tied it off with a bandanna. Then without warning, Kid drove a devastating right punch to Lester's jaw, sending him into dreamland.

Kid quickly changed hats and threw his coat around Lester and then quietly slipped across the aisle, waiting to see what happened.

It wasn't long, perhaps about an hour into darkness, both Morris and Wong stood up quickly and began firing firearms that they had hidden, at the draped figure, believing it to be Marshall Sopris. Kid waited till both men had fired about a dozen rounds and from across the aisle, Sopris opened up with his 44's.

The conspirators were no match for Sopris. Witnessed recalled in their statements that Kid had taken everyone in direct line of fire and moved them before the gunfire had erupted. The two men, so fearful that Sopris would shoot them, never turned around until it was time to hatch their ambush.

Smoke and fire caught several of the seats in the train on fire, it was quickly put out, but the warmth generated by the heat was a welcome relief to those chilled by the cold Colorado night air.

The ambush that went awry, resulted not only in Mr. Wong and Morris being killed, (frontal lobotomies more like it), but the assailants killed one of their own. Lester was no longer among the living.

Tragically an end would come to another lead in the long investigation. But it did send a message...The San Francisco office of the U.S. Marshalls Service was notified via telegraph at the Rifle Colorado Stop.

Of course it would not be the end to the Tong Wars...But those involved took additional steps to conceal themselves.

Sopris had the bodies buried in Rifle and signed the Certificate of Death. He also made sure that their bodies were buried way outside of town limits and no markers were used to mark their spot.

Sopris had removed the right ear from each assailant and forwarded the contents to the San Francisco Office, with a note asking it be delivered to known ring leaders in San Francisco's Chinatown. A simple message was attached.

"Can you hear me now?" Kid Sopris, U. S. Marshall

Lady Leigh 2-19-08

Chen-chi sat motionless as the train rocked its sideways pattern down the tracks. Her black eyes were vacant. If it were not for the gentle raising periodically of her chest, it would appear she were not among the living.

Emotionally, Chen-chi, was not among the living. For the last 2 days, Chen-chi was sure she were dead. There was no other description for how, or what, she felt.

“Take this letter to Bonnie Rosenthal, Chen-chi. She and her husband, Caleb, will know what to do ....” “Take this letter to Bonnie Rosenthal .....” “Take this letter to Bonnie Rosenthal ....”

Over and over, Chen chi recited, “Take this letter to Bonnie Rosenthal .....”

Linn Keller 2-19-08

"Jacob, I need your help."
"Yes, sir?"
The wind snarled and clawed at the rough wood of the barn, but the barn was tight and proof against the weather. It smelled of hay and of horse manure and of harness leather, and though their breath steamed in the still air, it was a measure warmer than the snowy outdoors.
"Jacob" -- the Sheriff pursed his lips, opened his mouth to speak, changed his mind and closed it, then sat down on an upturned keg -- "Jacob, you've never been in the military."
"No, sir," Jacob laughed, and the Sheriff smiled.
"Rhetorical question. In the military, a commander can be wrong, but he can never be in doubt." The Sheriff tilted his head back and looked toward the coal oil lantern on its wrought-iron hook.
"A Sheriff is very much a commanding officer. He's in charge of his county, and responsible for the law within it, and sometimes beyond."
"Yes, sir?" Jacob said, folding a saddle blanket and using it as a pad on another keg.
His father smiled, nodded. "Good idea." He rose and reached for the other saddle blanket. Jacob waited patiently until his father was seated again.
"You were saying, sir?" Jacob prodded after a time.
The Sheriff rose and began pacing. Clearly, something was troubling him, as if he'd come to a decision he really didn't like, but had to make anyway.
"Jacob, we bought some time by announcing my death."
"Yes, sir," Jacob agreed.
"I should have thought ahead enough to have you wire back East that I was ambushed and killed."
Jacob grinned. "I already did, sir."
The Sheriff stopped. "You did?" His grin matched his son's. "Well done, then! That does buy us a little time."
"Time for what, sir?"
The Sheriff's eyes were lighter now, and Jacob knew this was not a good sign for someone. Was the light better, he thought, I would be able to see the little gold flecks in his eyes.
"Time to serve a warrant on the man who started those wanted posters."
Thoughts flitted across Jacob's face: uncertainty, as if unsure of his next step; anticipation, as if hoping he would be sent on this mission; and for a moment, fear: fear, perhaps, of leaving home, fear of leaving his father; fear, perhaps, of leaving the young woman for whom he was just realizing some affection.
Hard on its heels, though, was something the Sheriff expected: anticipation.
Here is a task, he thought, where Jacob can show what he's made of.
"Jacob, Jackson Cooper is supposed to have been murdered. I could send him back East, and his arrival would put the lie to the wanted poster -- but if he were killed, it could be claimed he was an impostor, and they would be after me again.
"No, I need someone I can trust, someone who will seize the person of this Jollins fellow who swore falsely against me and bring him back here, in irons."
"Yes, sir," Jacob said slowly.
"Think you're up for the job?"
Jacob's eyes were big in the dim-lit barn. He considered the task before him.
"Sir, if you want it done, I'll do it," he said finally.
The Sheriff nodded. "I've drawn up the warrant, and Judge Hostetler signed it. He's a territorial judge, and his authority should be recognized with no difficulty."
"Yes, sir."
"You'll take the train to St. Louis, change trains to Cincinnati, change again to Chillicothe, and change trains to Athens. From there you should be able to take a local to Chauncey. You'll need to stop and present your bona fides to the town marshal, and have him help you locate this Jollins fellow."
Jacob nodded. "Very good, sir."
"The county will reimburse your expenses. Get receipts whenever you can. How are you set for traveling money?"
Jacob smiled. "I have half the reward money, sir."
"Reward money? Half?"
"Yes, sir. The two that bushwhacked you were wanted, one was worth more than the other. I added the two up, split it in half and gave half to --"
Jacob blinked.
"Sir, that's another question."
"What's that, Jacob?"
"Sir, I'm not sure if I should call her 'Miz Esther' or 'Your Wife' or 'Mother" ... I don't feel quite right calling her 'Mama.'" Jacob's uncertainty was plainly audible in his voice, and in the way he shuffled his hat brim between his hands.
The Sheriff nodded. "I reckon 'Mama' wouldn't feel quite right to you." He removed his hat and scratched the back of his scalp. "You know, I'm not rightly sure what she would want to be called. Reckon we could ask her."
"Yes, sir."
"Jacob?"
"Yes, sir?"
"Reckon you could head out in the morning?"
Jacob's grin wasn't quite as bright as the coal oil lantern but it wasn't much less.
"Yes, sir, I reckon so."

Linn Keller 2-21-08

Maude had been worried about the sweet little girl who chattered and prattled while they baked cookies and swept the floor and arranged canned goods on a low shelf.
Maude herself hadn't the heart to go to the graveyard and watch while that tiny box was lowered into the waiting earth; she was quick to offer, and Caleb was relieved to accept, and Sarah, delighted, kept company with Bill and Mac and Miz Maude.
It had been a very long time since Maude had a child nearby for any length of time, and she'd never had a little girl for any length of time -- just the length of time a customer might be in the store, no more -- and she found herself smiling, and often.
It felt good to smile again.
Twain Dawg had decided the store belonged to him, and after exploring it with his nose, he decided further that he would begin his reign as King and Lord of All he Surveyed from the velvet throne -- that is, from the warm spot on the floor, in front of the stove, where he curled up and proceeded to snore.
Maude was giving thought to fixing supper, and Bill and Mac were finishing up the last of the evening duties before taking up their coats and heading out, when Caleb came in with a swirl of snowflakes and a shake of his greatcoat: he'd stomped the snow off his shoes outside, and stood up close to the stove, gratefully taking in its welcome warmth.
"Papa!" Sarah exclaimed with noisy delight and came skipping at a dead run -- an exercise only possible for the very young -- and ran headlong into her Papa, who laughed and picked her up and held her at arm's length above his head, and Sarah squealed and reached up and touched the ceiling. It was a game they played, and Caleb dreaded the day when she grew to such a size that this would no longer be possible.
Twain Dawg, fierce guardian of his young mistress, opened one eye, thumped his tail twice and went back to sleep.
"Maude, would you have supper with us?" Caleb asked with a strangled grunt as Sarah hugged him tight around his neck. "Bonnie will be another day in the hospital at least, and a table would be kind of empty with just Sarah and I sitting at it!"

Linn Keller 2-21-08

Later that night the clouds' curtains parted and the moon shone, full and lovely, on a white landscape that sparkled like ground diamond dust.
The full moonlight streamed in the windows, and reflected off the snowy ground up onto the ceiling, and when Jacob eased out from under the thick quilt, he realized he was hungry.
The door of the stove downstairs squeaked, and he heard the woody klunk of another firewood going into the cast iron.
Someone's awake, he thought, and paddled downstairs, bare feet silent on the smooth, polished, and somewhat chilly floors.
Other eyes were open that night, and other feet were silent as well.
Miss Messman sat at the table, chin in her hands; she looked up as Jacob came padding into the kitchen wearing a flannel nightshirt and a sleepy expression.
Silently, as if he'd done it every day, he drew a loaf of bread from the bread safe, and set it on the table, and lifted the steaming tea kettle from the stove. Miss Messman, in turn, scooped ground tea leaves into the acorn and they soon had two mugs of warm tea, sweetened with honey.
Jacob sliced thick slabs of bread for them and buttered them, and they sat in the kitchen's slience and ate.
"My father has sworn out a warrant for the man who tried to kill him," he said without preamble.
Miss Messman sipped her tea and nodded.
"He asked me to go get him."
Miss Messman's eyes were big and luminous in the soft light.
"Annette, I ... what if I'm not smart enough? That's back East, and everyone has school ..."
The Sheriff's light-blue eyes were unblinking as he watched the pair from the top of the stairway. He could hear them perfectly well in the silence, and a warm hand on his shoulder and the scent of perfume told him Esther, too, was watching, and listening.
"Jacob, I've seen your lessons," Annette said in a low voice. "You've been taught as well as I, just not as long. How do you calculate the volume of a right circular cylinder?"
Jacob blinked, withdrew the bread from his mouth without biting. "Half the radius squared times its height times 3.1416, multiplied in like units."
Annette nodded. "Calculate the volume of a wagon bed."
"Height times depth times width."
"And how many gallons of water will the wagon bed hold?"
"Multiply cubic feet times 7.5."
"This will weigh how much, if filled with water?"
"Multiply times 8.5."
"Shakespeare was prince of Denmark, true or false."
"False. Hamlet was prince of Denmark."
"Jacob Keller, you listen to me," Annette said sternly, and the Sheriff and Esther smiled, for it was the voice of a girl coming to womanhood and sorting out her feelings and hiding it behind stern concern. "You are a strong and a handsome fellow and you are as smart as any I've met. You've the best education there is and you stand second to none, do you hear me!"
Jacob was silent for a long time. The Sheriff saw him take that bite of bread and he could almost hear Jacob's mental gears turning slowly.
He finally raised the heavy ceramic mug to his lips and they heard him slurp softly and clear his throat.
"I want to make my Pa proud of me," he said finally.
"I believe you will, Jacob," Annette said, and her voice was gentler.
Jacob shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "You know, if they catch us down here like this, with no chaperone, they'll skin me!"
"Oh." Annette cast a quick glance at the staircase, but saw nothing.
"More?" Jacob asked, knife poised over the loaf, and Annette shook her head.
Esther smiled and rested her chin on her husband's shoulder,and they watched as the two cleaned up, and wrapped the bread in a clean cloth and put it back in the bread safe, and put another stick of wood in the stove.
"Annette?" Jacob asked as she turned to go up the stairs.
"Yes?" she said, turning, half expecting, half fearful.
Jacob was a strong and capable fellow, more than a boy and not yet a man -- at least not in his own eyes -- but when the young are together, nature wakes certain feelings, and Jacob felt the feelings waking, and was unsure of his next move.
He remembered his father's words:
A commanding officer can be wrong, but he can never be in doubt.
Jacob cast doubt from him, and he did as he'd seen his father do many times with Esther.
Jacob raised Annette's hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles.
The two held hands as they climbed the stairs, and they never heard the whisper of bare feet as watchful parents retreated to their bedroom; they never knew that vigilant eyes made sure they parted, each to their respective bed; and they slept the remainder of the night, warm with tea and new love without ever realizing that parents, having extended the hospitality of a warm bed on a cold night to a lonely young lady, got very little sleep that night.

Linn Keller 2-23-08

Jackson and Emma Cooper came jingling up to our front door in the loveliest sleigh I'd ever seen, pulled by their Sam horse; their noses and cheeks were red, Emma was all bundled up and they shared a buffalo robe,
and shortly Esther and I did as well, in the back seat of their shining, beautifully kept sleigh: Jacob sat with us, and Miss Messman was in front, and we all managed to crowd up together and the buffalo robes were just big enough to cover us all. Barely, but able.
It had snowed more than I'd realized and the cold had set in, hard, and the Coopers' sleigh wasn't the only one about. Johanssen's heavily laden sleigh wagon was at the schoolhouse, and he and his two boys were unloading a cord or better of stove wood for the schoolhouse stove.
Esther went into the Jewel, and up the stairs to her office, where she resumed her management of the Z&W.
Miss Messman went next door, to the newspaper office, and smiled as Duzy greeted her with a steaming cup of tea.
Emma Cooper went into the schoolhouse and fired the stove, partly with wood just brought down from the mountains by the big Swede and his boys, and Jackson Cooper and Jacob and I stabled Sam and tromped the short distance to the Sheriff's office together.

Lady Leigh 2-24-08

The train from Denver arrived in Firelands midmorning. Sherif Keller, Jackson and Jacob were walking down the street toward his office when the train pulled in, so he held himself back from going any further, and waved the other two on. Several people got off the train, but one caught his eye. A very petite woman dressed completely in black was being assisted down the steps of the passenger car by an elderly gentleman. Linn also noticed a cane in each of her hands. Had it not been for the “great with child” appearance, Linn would have assumed she was the elderly wife of the man assisting her.

The man tipped his hat at the woman, and sauntered off, heading in the general direction of the Sherif. “Excuse me sir,” the Sheriff said, “but do you and you lady companion need any help?”

The gentleman stopped at Linns side, “I am afraid, sir, you are mistaken about her being a companion of mine. I was only helping her down the steps.” And with that, the man continued off toward the Silver Jewel.

The small woman paused and appeared to look around her, seemingly lost, so the Sheriff approached her slowly so as not to alarm her, as it was evident to him, she was younger than originally suspected, and pregnant, and a woman in mourning. “Ma’am?” Linn questioned while removing his hat, “allow me to introduce myself. I am the Sheriff here in Firelands, Linn Keller. May I help you to your destination?”

Very carefully, and very slowly, she handed the Sheriff an envelope with the words, Bonnie Rosenthal written across the front in a fine script. She did not raise her head to Linns, and as equally carefully and slowly, “It is urgent that I speak with Bonnie Rosenthal. Do you know where I may find her, please?”

“Yes, Ma’am, I surely do! She is newly home with her newborn child." then Linn added, "Is she expecting you?”

“No .... she is not, but I must see her. Please, sir, direct me to her. It is extremely important.”

Noticing her small frame, extended belly and the two canes, “The distance would be further than you would want to walk, what with the snow recently fallen, and the distance to their home. Let me get you to a bench up at the station, then I'll fetch a sleigh. It will be easier traveling that way.”

She only nodded, and never once looked upward. Not that Linn could have seen anything what with the heavy veil and all.

Had he felt the right, it would have been easier picking the woman up and carrying her! Walking was slow and labored, but once she was finally seated, he took his leave of her and went to the livery. He also came across Jacob, and instructed him to run over to the Rosenthal’s house and forewarn Bonnie she was about to have a visitor.

Lady Leigh 2-24-08

Nurse Susan was at the Rosenthal house, too, in order to help Bonnie settle into the demands of as premature baby, making it very clear to Bonnie, that she would stay for as long necessary. Bonnie and Caleb were learning very quickly what was taken advantage of while at the hospital. There were indeed many things to keep in consideration, and it also became evident, they may be needing help for a time. Certainly Duzy, Esther, and maybe Annette would be able to come in shifts during the daytime hours. At least for a couple of weeks, maybe.

There was a knock on the door, and Caleb went to answer, “Good morning, Jacob! What brings you here this morning?”

“Pa sent me on ahead of him. He directed me to tell you Miss Bonnie was going to be having a visitor, and wanted me to forewarn her.”

Caleb was puzzled about this. It wasn’t like the Sheriff to be sending anyone over knowing Bonnie and Polly just came home, and that there were still risks involved with Polly. “Jacob? Did he say who was coming with him?”

“No sir. But I do know it is a woman newly arrived on the train. Pa said it was mighty important to the woman to see Miss Bonnie.”

“Well ..... ok, Jacob. Thank you.” Jacob nodded, and turned to leave, “Sir are you ok with your firewood? I could see to it you have more handy.”

Caleb thought silently, “isn’t that just like Jacob?” Then out loud, “I believe we are fine, but you may take a look for yourself, and if you think we need more, then go ahead and do so. Otherwise, Jacob, I thank you greatly for your kindness in offering.”

Linn Keller 2-24-08

Jacob was afire with youth's limitless energy, and once he was a few floundering steps away from the Rosenthals' front porch, he grinned and began legging it for the livery.
There was not a great urgency, no emergency situation speeding his steps ... just a young man, and full of life, running joyfully through the snow.
He saw his Pa, with the Coopers' fine sleigh, heading for the depot, and grinned. His Pa was not the kind to waste time.
That's taken care of, he thought. I wonder what ...
Then he turned back toward the livery. He had a mission back East, aye, but he could at least fetch in more wood for the Rosenthals. Their wood pile looked kind of puny, and especially with that brand new little bitty baby in the house, he was not about to let their fuel supply dwindle!

Lady Leigh 2-24-08

Sheriff Keller assisted the woman off the sleigh and to the front door, where Caleb had it open when the two were close enough. Nurse Susan was upstairs with Polly, allowing Bonnie a measure of freedom sitting downstairs waiting for this mystery visitor.

Caleb led Linn and the woman into the parlor, noting how very slowly and labored her steps were, while her only assistance was the two canes that helped her to her destination. The woman stopped, glanced toward Bonnie, “Bonnie Rosenthal?” in a voice so quiet it was a wonder Bonnie even heard her at all.

“Yes .... I am Bonnie Rosenthal. Please? Do we know one another?” The petite woman pulled the veil away from her face, and Bonnie was struck with the Asian woman standing in front of her. She pulled out the envelope which was directly handed to Bonnie .... which Bonnie took fairly hesitantly.

Bonnie looked at the woman questioningly, but the only response was vacant eyes and the words, “read ... please.” She then sat on the sofa that Caleb helped her too.

Caleb looked at the Sheriff with the eyes, “please stay.” Then the two men sat as well.

Bonnie broke the seal and took the pages of parchment out, unfolded them, and began to read ...

Lady Leigh 2-24-08

In the upper left corner of the paper were the words James Rudd McKenna

“Dear Lord in Heaven!” Bonnie murmured. She glanced up to the woman, who was sitting directly across from her, hands in her lap in front of her swollen belly, and head and eyes were downcast.

The body of the letter followed, “Bonnie, the woman who has brought you this letter is Chen-chi ... my wife.” Bonnie looked up and said to the woman, “James is alive? You are James’ wife?” Chen-chi remains positioned in the same manner, and only said, “continue reading, please.”

Caleb and Linn and Bonnie all looked at each other expectantly. Bonnie continued to read, “ I know this letter is a tremendous surprise to you, and it is my hope to visit with you soon in person concerning this, but time is of the essence, and I may not be able to get there soon .... if at all.”

Bonnie could not believe what she was reading! She looked at Caleb, “This is from James!”

“Read please! It is important, or James would not have sent me here, or would not have written to you! Read!” Chen-chi’s impatience was indeed grave, so Bonnie continued, hardly believing her eyes.

Linn Keller 2-25-08

Jacob was breathing easy in the winter air, tossing the split stove wood with a regular rhythm: he had the wagon bed half full already, and in not too many more minutes, he'd filled the other half; the wagon's sides were too low to get as much on board as he would have liked, but he did his best, and kicked the snow off his boots, and climbed into the seat.
The snow squeaked and hissed under the wide runners, and he made steady progress to the Rosenthals' house; he looked over at the library, and at the newspaper office, but snow glare rendered their windows green to his eyes; still, he grinned, and waved, knowing he was essentially blind to anything less than day light.
Shorty's Dapple blew great clouds of steam, and Jacob tilted his head back and regarded the absolutely cloudless, incredibly blue sky.
It's good to be alive, he thought.

Lady Leigh 2-25-08

“I would greatly appreciate you helping Chen-chi. AS you can see, she is pregnant, and due at anytime .... I pray she made it to you before the labor pains begin!

You will also see she gets around with two canes. The reason for the canes is merle one injustice women in China are accursed too. At the age of 5, her mother and grandmother began binding her feet, a tradition that is to be of great beauty for Chinese women, but in truth, it is a deformity that renders many woman useless in the art of walking! Chen-chi’s ability to walk is much worse now that she no longer binds, due to the broken toes and bones in her feet that will never heal properly. Be patient with her, Bonnie.

I ask you to keep Chen-chi in your keeping until I can get there myself, but in the event I can not, there are two individuals that will be able to explain our cause to you. They are two men you know, but I can not risk divulging their identity at present.

What I can say, is we have spent the last several years placing many Chinese into proper environments that are not abusive to them, but have recently been found out, thus the anger that Chen-chi faces, though she is one of hundreds, I am afraid. But her danger will cause her certain death if the man who owned her finds her, Bonnie.”

“Man who ‘owns’ her?!” Bonnie whispered, “Good Lord!” Bonnie could not help but feel the pain of what it is like to "Be Owned"

Kid Sopris 2-25-08

The Eastbound train contained one U.S. Marshall armed with a telegram from the President of the United States. It also contained unlimited immunity and discretion from the Attorney Generals of the United States, California and Colorado to deal with an immigration problem.

Just to be sure, Kid Sopris stopped in Grand Junction Colorado and bought some additional ammunition and firearms. He felt there was a war about to break out.

The Telegram also contained the Authority for Kid Sopris to deliver $5,000.00 in reward money to those in Firelands who assisted in the apprehension of previous culprits who met their early demise.

Sopris only thought was the safety of the ladies, their loved one's and their venture in Firelands. Time will tell, and this slow moving train was still the fastest way there.