SASS Wire Forum

Electronic Scoring

Kid Ziggy SASS 76870

Question from a non-techie ... been asked to put on a shoot for a high-adventure scouting event.  Wanted to use CAS scoring, searched for ACES and got a message that it is not compatible with iOS 11.

what system is current & where do I get it from (will be using offline ... on iPad)?

PractiScore has a CAS template that works on an iPad. The only issue we’re seeing is that a stage DQ can be tricky, but we’re now using it for monthly shoots and it works fine. 

We use PractiScore on Android tablets at one club and we use ACES on old IPads at another.

Both work just fine but PractiScore still has a few minor bugs when it comes to SASS scoring.

4 hours ago, Burt Blade, #25657 said:

ACES works on current-version Android devices, if you cannot find an old un-updated iPad.

There are SASS scoring spreadsheets that can be found online. Those should work with the appropriate spreadsheet app.

While it's true that ACES will not run on the latest IPAD's with iOS11, nothing says you can't go out and find a good used IPAD running iOS9.3.5 which runs ACES just fine!

Remember that IPAD's don't turn to garbage just because they are getting old.  My IPAD 3 is almost 6 years old and still looks new, takes excellent photos and videos and I use it for our monthly cowboy matches then email the results out to all the shooters.   The only problem is the diminishing battery capacity.  It no longer can hold a charge for half a day but a trip to Walmart to purchase a $16 small portable battery pack will allow the IPAD  to run all day.

Good used or refurbished IPAD's abound, just google..."IPAD 3rd gen with iOS 9.3.5 for sale" and you will find many IPADS for under $100.  Grab one and download ACES onto it and you are in business.  Just make sure it is still running iOS 9.3.5 and hasn't been upgraded.

I have both ACES and Practiscore loaded on mine and while Practicscore does work, ACES is SO much easier to use, sometimes the oldies are still the goodies!

Archived