SASS Wire Forum

SASS Premier and Practicscore

CD Tom

I'm going to keep a running log on what I've been doing with regards to the SASS Premier scoring system and Practice score.  I have the latest version of Practice score on my ipad and have been looking at how to import data from the SASS Premier system into Practice.  According to the Import/Export tab in Practice Score the Import Registration show the format that is required to send data for import into Practice score.  I've followed there example and have run into these problems.  In my csv file in the field for Squad I've put the posse in the Class field I've put the category abbreviation of the categories ex:( FC, S, D etc) I thought that this would be the match to the Division where the regular category description is put.  I've also tried the Alias but that isn't in the import file description yet, so I put the Alias into the name field.   Now when I send this information to Practice score this what I get, First the Squad doesn't come across as well as the Class, the Alias that I put in the Name field show up in the Team Name.  I don't know how to contact Practice score, I've emailed Ken a couple of times put don't hear anything back from him.  I would like to see Practice score work like ACES in the transfer of data between the two systems.  I think that the code from ACES could be easily move into Practice score as they are both Apple apps.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from you.  If I get any answers or find other ways to make the transfer from the SASS Program to Practice score work I'll keep this topic up to date.

AS I mentioned I will keep this up to date.  Well I have good news, I've been in contact with the Practice score development team and they are very willing to work with me and the SASS Premier scoring system.  As I mentioned before the import of the registration wasn't working correctly and Practice score went right to work and got that fixed.  That version isn't available yet as it's in test mode.  I have requested a couple more changes and I think these will be added (I hope). The next version of the SASS Premier program will have the export to either ACES or to Practice score in it. Practice score doesn't have any method of transferring the completed match back to the SASS Premier system, that was one of the request I've made.

Right now Practice score has some nice features that I think those that use it will like.  I still believe we need to have a paper backup with scores as you never know what can happen to an electronic device and if something was to go wrong you can't ask a posse to reshoot a stage (although I'm sure there would be some who would think that would be good).

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

So as being a complete noob is ACES just done for or can I get an older IPAD and somehow not let it update? Our range doesn't use any electronic system yet and and we only run 1 posse, so we don't need WIFI. Or should we just forget ACES and start with Practicscore?

Yes you can still use ACES with older devices.  However in looking at Practice Score it looks pretty good.  I've just tested it on an Android device and that now shows Alias and everything needed.  I just got an email back from the Practice score team and they will be doing the export to the SASS Program but it will be done through the web site.  They want people using the web site as that's where there revenue comes from 

18 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

So as being a complete noob is ACES just done for or can I get an older IPAD and somehow not let it update? Our range doesn't use any electronic system yet and and we only run 1 posse, so we don't need WIFI. Or should we just forget ACES and start with Practicscore?

While ACES is still around I would go with Practiscore. Here is why.

ACES is currently unsupported and there are no plans for that to change.

ACES will only run on older devices. Older devices are already old. What happens when they fail and cannot be replaced?

Practiscore is supported and looks to be for some time to come. Practiscore has sponsors with deep pockets supporting it. ACES has no one funding it and that is not going to change.

Practiscore runs on current devices and will likely be updated to run on future devices.

Being as you have no experience with either system I would spend my time learning a program that is supported and not an obsolete one.

The learning curve for Practiscore is easier than ACES.

Practiscore will do everything you are currently needing and more. With their willingness to make SASS specific upgrades Practiscore will only get better.

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

While ACES is still around I would go with Practiscore. Here is why.

ACES is currently unsupported and there are no plans for that to change.

ACES will only run on older devices. Older devices are already old. What happens when they fail and cannot be replaced?

Practiscore is supported and looks to be for some time to come. Practiscore has sponsors with deep pockets supporting it. ACES has no one funding it and that is not going to change.

Practiscore runs on current devices and will likely be updated to run on future devices.

Being as you have no experience with either system I would spend my time learning a program that is supported and not an obsolete one.

The learning curve for Practiscore is easier than ACES.

Practiscore will do everything you are currently needing and more. With their willingness to make SASS specific upgrades Practiscore will only get better.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Is one format, Apple or Android better than the other?

I've looked at both and they are about the same. The Android devices are a little less expensive so if money is an issue I'd go with the Android.  Because the Android apps don't need approval from Apple the updates seem to come faster.  Right now the Android version will accept the data from the SASS Premier program so if anyone with the SASS Premier scoring system want's to use it to send data to Practice Score let me know and I'll send you the link.  I think the Apple app is still in test mode.

Archived