SASS Wire Forum

Memorial Day question & Veterans

In my quest to learn about Memorial Day, I find in nearly all the information that its for those Vets who died WHILE SERVING in the Military.

It mentions nothing about any Vets who died years later from injuries suffered in the Military or those many who have passed from the effects of Agent Orange.

I long thought that Memorial Day was for ALL VETS who have passed, whether during active duty or not.

I'm sure some of you have good and accurate info to share on this.

Hopefully, UB will see this also and chime in.

Thanks

..........Widder (USN)

Father (USN deceased, WWII Vet)

Father in Law   (USA, Korean Vet)

Brother (USMC)

Nephew (USMC)

Great Nephew (USMC)

Brother in Law  (USMC)

Nephew  (USAF)

Memorial Day was started after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day it was designed to honor the Union veterans who had fallen in the conflict. General John Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic published General Order No 11 in 1868.

https://www.cem.va.gov/history/memdayorder.asp

Over the years, the day has evolved to honor those of all conflicts who gave their lives for their country, whether immediately in combat or later through injuries incurred, including disease. 

Thank you, UB.

I was pretty sure it included those who passed from injuries/diseases, etc..... incurred during a conflict, even after the conflict ended.

But all the references I could actually find only mentioned the words... "while serving" and I was certain it extended somewhat beyond that.

I knew about the General Order #11 and the Civil War and some of the other history associated with Memorial Day.

Thanks again and have a great day.

..........Widder

Archived