SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun reloader tips

Noz

If you are and old pro, pass on, there is nothing here for you.

Otherwise: I load on an old non progressive MEC loader. Even tho there is a primer catcher for the expended primers I always have them all over the floor.  I took an old plastic medication bottle that is 3 1/4" tall (with cap) and 2" in diameter, forced it onto my loader between the bottom frame and the upper (where all the goodies attach), marked the spot on the lid that corresponds to the hole in the upper frame and drilled a 5/16" hole.

Slid that into the loader (should be a very tight fit) till the holes align. Now all of the spent primers fall into the bottle. I will hold 100 or more.

The "pad" the the shell sits on for the new primer installation has an up an a down side (who knew?).  I hate it when I run my finger over the primer and can feel the edges.  It is fully seated but I still don't like it.  Turned the seating pad over and discovered it is machined a little different and all my primer edges are now flush with the shell base.

It only took me 10 years or so with this machine to figure these things out.

Buy inexpensive baking sheet between the press and bench. Collects all the stray shot and spilled powder.

Resize a few shells and reprime them with spent primers. Then cut the petals off the hull at the fold.  Use them for weighing powder and shot while adjusting the press. Use then as fillers on progressive presses.

Archived