SASS Wire Forum

Fitting Evil Roy Left Extractor on Chinese '97

Null N. Void

I'm trying to get better ejection on a Chinese '97 I recently bought. I bought the Evil Roy kit, but the left extractor is made for an original Winchester. What's the best way to fit it on the Chinese bolt?

Thanks,

NNV

Don't even try to fit that old style extractor to your new M-97, because the new gun has a coil spring loaded left extractor and does not have the tail slot in the bolt for the old style to fit into.

Here is what you need to do - - -

Take off the mag tube barrel band, msg tube and slide. Take out the carrier and put it aside.

Reinstall the mag tube and slide (without the carrier, because this is the correct way to set up the extractors and ejector timing).

Place an empty hull into the chamber, push the bolt closed onto the hull, so the slide will connect with the bolt hook.

Rack the slide back and watch the spent hull fly across the room (probably 8 to 10 feet).

If I am right - which I think I am, that means the Chinese have put in a non-CNC carrier into a new CNC shotgun - I have seen this before and I have new CNC replacement carriers for that reason.

I would bet, your problem is with the carrier drop timing and not the extractors at all.

I will follow this thread for your answer, as I would bet your gun is under warranty !

"Coyote Cap"

I did fit the Evil Roy Extractor onto the bolt. It took some time to extend the groove in the bolt with a dremel. The extended cut groove is where the extractor tail sits. Once it was deep enough, it would allow the bolt to slide normally and keep tension on the extractor. It worked, and will now throw out shells forcefully to the side six to eight feet.

This is for info only. it is not a guarantee that it would work for someone else. It's just what I did, and if it didn't work, I could always put the original spring and extractor back in.

I'll be shooting it this week at the range to see how it works with live shells. I'll keep you posted on how it works.

NNV

It worked fine at the range, both feeding in the port and feeding from the magazine. It was kicking out the spent shells into a nice pile about 6 feet out.

NNV

Archived