SASS Wire Forum

WWII Memorial in DC

Subdeacon Joe

There is a thread I'm following on Facebook about the pool/fountain at the DC WWII Memorial. Specifically, about people wading in it,

Disrespectful or not?

My take on it is that you have this lively, ,lovely, inviting water feature in a city that used to be a hazardous duty post for diplomats partially because of the hot, humid weather. I think most of the guys who, around 70 years ago, were wading ashore, or dropping from the sky, would snort in derision and tell their grandkids "Go on, cool off! I remember one time......" I know that the guys from my dad's VFW Post, while expecting solemnity and decorum during ceremonies, were otherwise rather contemptuous of pretentiousness.

Several articles also reference taking selfies as being disrespectful. What is the difference between that and having someone else take a photo of you there? Or at any memorial?

So, what's your take on it?

ADDED:

I just showed my wife a photo of the fountain and put the question to her, "Wading. Disrespectful or not?"
"Not!"
"Reasoning?"
"It's a wake, not a funeral."

I think she nailed it.

I'd have no problem with it except that there are so many people visiting in the summer that it would soon become a cesspool full of dirty diapers, pop cans, and assorted trash. A couple of grandkids cooling off from the heat and humidity is one thing but crowds of people along with the noise would soon ruin the atmosphere around the memorial. Without a way to regulate it I vote against it.

I'd have no problem with it except that there are so many people visiting in the summer that it would soon become a cesspool full of dirty diapers, pop cans, and assorted trash. A couple of grandkids cooling off from the heat and humidity is one thing but crowds of people along with the noise would soon ruin the atmosphere around the memorial. Without a way to regulate it I vote against it.

I can see what you are saying. But, back to the basic issue - is the wading itself disrespectful?

Trash and debris is a separate issue. I could read your comment as saying that the grounds around the fountain could "soon become a cesspool full of dirty diapers, pop cans, and assorted trash" but that would be acceptable because it isn't in the water feature. No, I'm not going there, but the trash is a separate issue that is there with or without the water.

This brings memories of United Nations Plaza in San Francisco. The first meetings of that organization - before it degenerated evolved into it's current state - were held in San Francisco.

And as a commemoration of that historical period, the plaza in front of City Hall was known as "United Nations Plaza." Lined with flags of the participating nations, it was actually quite pretty, featuring a huge reflecting pool. For many years a pleasant place for local office denizens to enjoy a sack lunch at midday...

And then, the "homeless" moved in. It began to look like a third world refugee camp.

Instead of sitting on the edge of the pool with a sandwich, people would walk blocks out of their way to avoid the place... in addition to people being accosted by endless panhandling, the pool was transformed from a beautiful water feature to a swamp - and no fly would ever take the "brown trout" swimming there.

Finally, it was drained, filled, and paved over. After all, perish the thought that people would be forbidden from using it!

Now, I'm pretty easy going when it comes to enjoying life, and I've even been called something of a non-conformist. But I absolutely hate seeing public features there for the enjoyment of all spoiled for a few. Nope... there are pools and water parks for splashing in - something like 15 of 'em in the DC area alone.

I gotta go with what Bugs sez on this one... :mellow:

Is the wading itself disrespectful? Leaving every other issue out I'd say not by children. I suspect most of the guys that served in WW2 would sit and smile if they saw kids wading or playing in the water at their Memorial. Adults are a different matter. I think that same old Vet would look at an adult in that pool and tell him to suck it up buttercup, you're old enough to know the price paid for that memorial, and that would be disrespectful.

Is the wading itself disrespectful? Leaving every other issue out I'd say not by children. I suspect most of the guys that served in WW2 would sit and smile if they saw kids wading or playing in the water at their Memorial. Adults are a different matter. I think that same old Vet would look at an adult in that pool and tell him to suck it up buttercup, you're old enough to know the price paid for that memorial, and that would be disrespectful.

Good points. Thanks.

Archived