SASS Wire Forum

104 and still shoots!

Knarley Bob

Took an Old Marlin out today to the range.

The gun was built circa 1912. It's a 1893, 38-55, round barreled "Black Powder" gun.

Found a recipe in a Marlin manual that is as old as the gun, Black powder, 20-1 lead, fiber wad. I'd tell you more, but I'd get demerits ya know ;)

The gun, which is new to me, is sporting a new Marbles Full Buckhorn rear sight. The original had been twisted a bit, but I'm keeping it.

Started shooting at a paper plate with a black "dot" centered on the plate, @ 50 yrds.

1st shot 12'oclock above the plate. Next 4 shots cut the top of the plate @ 12........connected.

WOW!! I am impressed...............104 years later, with a recipe that old and it still shoots like that.

Knarley

I had (and sold) a Marlin 1893 rifle with a 26" octagonal barrel in .32-40 made in 1898. It was as tight as a new gun. The estimated cost of brass, bullets and dies was too high. I enjoyed the original Win 1892 SRC in .32 WCF that I sold it to buy, but I hate that I never put a round down its barrel. The only loaded cartridges that I could easily find were John Wayne commemoratives at $3/round.

Archived